Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Manx Grand Prix 2017

On 8/30/2017 at 1:02 PM, La Colombe said:

Ok, the livestream has been a bit amateur, a bit disorganised, a bit low budget. But it's already better than Manx Radio's race coverage. Who has financed it? If there is a future for this sport, we've just had a glimpse of it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, woolley said:

Racing's over for another year.

Aye, some will be glad and some won't. At least (at time of going to press) I don't think we've had any fatalities this year in or outside the racing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, manxb&b said:

I don't think we've had any fatalities this year in or outside the racing.

I think you're right.  There have been several serious injuries though, including 7 major trauma calls on Wednesday alone with 3 off-island transfers.  We've managed to fill the major trauma centre's trauma ITU again, and I know that many of the injuries have been life changing, if not ending.

I don't know whether to say 'well done to all concerned' or 'FFS, isn't it about time this mayhem was canned?'.  Or perhaps both.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think you're right.  There have been several serious injuries though, including 7 major trauma calls on Wednesday alone with 3 off-island transfers.  We've managed to fill the major trauma centre's trauma ITU again, and I know that many of the injuries have been life changing, if not ending.

I don't know whether to say 'well done to all concerned' or 'FFS, isn't it about time this mayhem was canned?'.  Or perhaps both.

I know what you're saying and a point well made, what I would say though is for many who ride motorcycles, whether racing or not, it is a dangerous pastime and just because they had a serious accident here doesn't mean they would have gone on to have long and injury free life's if they hadn't come. In 2009, I met a group of eleven English lads from Yorkshire and we became good mates, meeting up and hanging out every TT. Their group is now down to seven though as four of them have been killed in accidents back home. I'm not trying to trivialize the dangers, just putting it into perspective in that I'm sure some people are of the mindset that if the TT/MGP/FOM was stopped then there'd be no more injuries and fatalities to the bike enthusiasts and racers who like to come here. Just my view of course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Racing's over for another year.

Brilliant, I can now cycle safely over the mountain

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, manxb&b said:

I know what you're saying and a point well made, what I would say though is for many who ride motorcycles, whether racing or not, it is a dangerous pastime and just because they had a serious accident here doesn't mean they would have gone on to have long and injury free life's if they hadn't come. In 2009, I met a group of eleven English lads from Yorkshire and we became good mates, meeting up and hanging out every TT. Their group is now down to seven though as four of them have been killed in accidents back home. I'm not trying to trivialize the dangers, just putting it into perspective in that I'm sure some people are of the mindset that if the TT/MGP/FOM was stopped then there'd be no more injuries and fatalities to the bike enthusiasts and racers who like to come here. Just my view of course.

What people, conveniently in some cases, tend to forget is that for the four weeks that encompass the races, we have so many more riders of mixed ability riding around our roads. Many of them, from some of the riding I have witnessed, ride way outside their comfort zones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

Ok, the livestream has been a bit amateur, a bit disorganised, a bit low budget. But it's already better than Manx Radio's race coverage. Who has financed it? If there is a future for this sport, we've just had a glimpse of it. 

Funded by the MMCC, a first for the Mountain Course. They had a ten second delay factored in also. Really good for a first attempt and all came together at short notice.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Funded by the MMCC, a first for the Mountain Course. They had a ten second delay factored in also. Really good for a first attempt and all came together at short notice.

Dare I ask what the delay was for?

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Dare I ask what the delay was for?

So that they can cut the stream off if it catches an accident 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Brilliant, I can now cycle safely over the mountain

It will never be safe to cycle on that road.

• Like 1

........just watching the classic, great bikes but why oh why do they play music or talk over the exhaust sound???....................'there is no sound like a Honda six', great! BUT how do you know if you can't flippin' hear it?.........

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wrighty said:

A pal of mine was one of your Wednesday transfers, just wanted to say thanks for patching him up. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wrighty said:

Gosh, I don't remember hearing anything about those. I expect there are some in government who would prefer it if you kept these things to yourself. 

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

They had a ten second delay factored in also. 

That's the problem with the island's racing ever having real mass worldwide appeal. There's always the need to hide and play down the ugly side. And let's face it, it's very ugly.