Cruise Ship in Bay

GD4XXX

Whilst taking my morning stroll today I couldn't help but notice a sizable cruise liner 'parked' outside the Poker Stars building looking for all the world (from my perspective anyway) as if it had come way too close and grounded. I can't recall ever seeing a ship like that so close to the shoreline and the 'wrong side' of Douglas Bay. I could not see anyone at all on any of the decks and there appeared to be a RIB going back and forth carrying what I assumed were passengers. Anyone know anything about this ship and what it was doing in such low water?

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It was The Rotterdam. She stopped here today as part of a Viking tour which ends in Boston MA. early October. Great to have such a high profile ship visiting our shores. 

So it wasn't the Marie Celeste after all. 

1 hour ago, GD4XXX said:

Whilst taking my morning stroll today I couldn't help but notice a sizable cruise liner 'parked' outside the Poker Stars building looking for all the world (from my perspective anyway) as if it had come way too close and grounded. I can't recall ever seeing a ship like that so close to the shoreline and the 'wrong side' of Douglas Bay. I could not see anyone at all on any of the decks and there appeared to be a RIB going back and forth carrying what I assumed were passengers. Anyone know anything about this ship and what it was doing in such low water?

There's good Caliq to be had off Onchan Head or thereabouts.  Perhaps the Master of the vessel was after his supper.

• Like 1

Here's a tip for you.

Follow the local news on the radio, paper, Facebook, twitter or somewhere.

It would answer all the questions you have posted on this thread so far.

There is also a thing called google.  You should try it one day.

Yes Jurby Junk is closing.  The rent has gone up and apparently that stops it being viable  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Here's a tip for you.

Follow the local news on the radio, paper, Facebook, twitter or somewhere.

It would answer all the questions you have posted on this thread so far.

There is also a thing called google.  You should try it one day.

Yes Jurby Junk is closing.  The rent has gone up and apparently that stops it being viable  

It's a lot quicker and easier just to ask here.

As for Google, I prefer my search engines uncensored. YMMV.

• Like 1

It was a complete and utter shambles.

We were on the Manannan yesterday. Parked up, as you do, because it was late getting in. We were then treated to watching the bikers arriving up the ramp, where they were stopped to let another batch of elderly overweight yanks waddle across from the terminal building to get their shuttle boat back, then more bikes, then more waddling yanks, bikes, yanks, bikes, yanks etc etc. Then we were loaded, stopped, more yanks waddling across from the terminal building, some thousand of them apparently with more wisely deciding to stay on the boat, loading, yanks, loading, yanks etc etc

It left unsurprisingly late.

Now you could blame poor organisation for this apart from the fact there clearly wasn't any.

I have no idea what possible benefit this had to the island or the cruise passangers because the only purchases we saw was one large suitcase and the odd carrier bag presumably holding XXXXL M&S underwear....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It was a complete and utter shambles.

We were on the Manannan yesterday. Parked up, as you do, because it was late getting in. We were then treated to watching the bikers arriving up the ramp, where they were stopped to let another batch of elderly overweight yanks waddle across from the terminal building to get their shuttle boat back, then more bikes, then more waddling yanks, bikes, yanks, bikes, yanks etc etc. Then we were loaded, stopped, more yanks waddling across from the terminal building, some thousand of them apparently with more wisely deciding to stay on the boat, loading, yanks, loading, yanks etc etc

It left unsurprisingly late.

Now you could blame poor organisation for this apart from the fact there clearly wasn't any.

I have no idea what possible benefit this had to the island or the cruise passangers because the only purchases we saw was one large suitcase and the odd carrier bag presumably holding XXXXL M&S underwear....

Bet somebody made a fortune on fridge magnets though...? :lol:

• Like 2