Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Drink Drive Biker...

"The court heard that he had only one previous conviction in the Isle of Man, for theft in 1995."

Sounds like a charmer, I'm glad he's jailed. 

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

... jailed for eight weeks and banned from the island for five years. Steady on, this sentence is a bit over the top. 

..............while Tony Wilde was sentenced to community service for the same offense. That's the problem with the law courts, they're either massively inconsistent or just downright corrupt.

• Like 7

Can't believe I'm agreeing with manxb&b on something motorcycle related. But I am.

Corrupt. Consistently so. There has always been a tradition of the unwashed being sentenced much more harshly than well-to-do folk. And not just in drink driving cases.

The front of the courier has a foul mouthed teen going to prison. While a recent case involving a teen with extensive criminal damage, class A drugs and assault didn't even get to court. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cooldad said:

There cannot be an 'over the top' sentence for drink driving. 

Yes there can and this is one. There was no harm done here, the bloke was only pulled over because of a snitchy busybody. 

17 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Yes there can and this is one. There was no harm done here, the bloke was only pulled over because of a snitchy busybody. 

Perhaps luckily before he went on to kill or seriously injure some other person or himself. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Perhaps luckily before he went on to kill or seriously injure some other person or himself. 

Yeah, that probably wouldn't have happened. 

Joey Dunlop, who is revered to the point of being virtually the patron saint of the Isle of Man was convicted in a Manx court of drink driving in 1988. Does anyone know what his sentence was? His conviction doesn't seem to have had much effect on his standing on the island. 

3 hours ago, cooldad said:

There cannot be an 'over the top' sentence for drink driving. 

Under the top (under the bottom?) sentence. Tony Wild?

2 hours ago, Mr Shoe said:

Corrupt. Consistently so. There has always been a tradition of the unwashed being sentenced much more harshly than well-to-do folk. And not just in drink driving cases.

Along with an anti biker bent. The rich kid that killed the woman biker at Hillberry for example.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Tony Wilde also got to keep his job whether he got paid whilst being ill I do not know.

It isn't unique to keep your job if you are caught drink driving.

27 minutes ago, notwell said:

It isn't unique to keep your job if you are caught drink driving.

When did you get done?

I've never been done.

But I've worked with at least three people I can think of immediately and none of them lost their job.

In fact one got six weeks inside. Took a three week holiday and kept his job:lol: