Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lxxx

Immigration

This may have already been done but as I haven't been on here for a while I'll give it a shot.

I just wondered if the island has radically changed it's asylum policy as I have had a few conversations over the past fortnight with various different people regarding the seemingly large influx of arrivals to the rock from far away shores.

For example I was picking up my daughter from the sea terminal late Friday night and crossing the road was a large group of about 30 people of what appeared to be African descent. Now before people get on one and try and equate this to some kind of racial discussion this clearly isn't a sight you see every day in Douglas so assuming they weren't on a weekend tourist trip to the rock I was just wondering if there had been a relaxing of work permit/asylum policy as I have had similar queries voiced from other people over the past few months. I know we were looking at taking in Syrian refugees but wondered if this had been widened. 

3 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

This may have already been done but as I haven't been on here for a while I'll give it a shot.

I just wondered if the island has radically changed it's asylum policy as I have had a few conversations over the past fortnight with various different people regarding the seemingly large influx of arrivals to the rock from far away shores.

For example I was picking up my daughter from the sea terminal late Friday night and crossing the road was a large group of about 30 people of what appeared to be African descent. Now before people get on one and try and equate this to some kind of racial discussion this clearly isn't a sight you see every day in Douglas so assuming they weren't on a weekend tourist trip to the rock I was just wondering if there had been a relaxing of work permit/asylum policy as I have had similar queries voiced from other people over the past few months. I know we were looking at taking in Syrian refugees but wondered if this had been widened. 

Similar thing happened very quickly in the early 90s. All of a sudden there was quite a large cohort of people who hadn't been in evidence previously. There had been no discussion, nothing about any initiative in the news and of course in those days there was no interweb. I was told by the man in the pub from the government that the UK had said something nice and sugary but what amounted to "don't think you are going to be the only part of Britain not to do your bit" and there they were just like magic. Don't know if this particular one happened, but I do know that "policy suggestions" are "offered".

• Like 4

It won't be asylum seekers because the Island has no legal framework to deal with them as far as I know.  But there has been a relaxation of work permit rules and more are planned.

But a large group of 'Africans' sound to me more likely to be mostly visitors, perhaps a church group on a trip or maybe coming over for a family celebration or something.  Just because people come from the same continent it doesn't mean they all have to hang out together.

The 2011 Census gave an ethnic breakdown for the Island of:

White 96.5%, Mixed 0.9%, Asian/Asian British 1.9%, Black/Black British 0.2%, Other 0.4%.

The more limited 2016 Census didn't repeat the question, but it doesn't show much change in nationality statistics - British dropped from 93.2% to 92.6% for example.

• Like 3

The 2011 census is pretty out of date. There are a bunch of companies that have set up in Douglas in the past few years which market exclusively to an African-based market and their job specifications (assuming they bother with them at all) require you to be able to speak languages which most people here on the Island wouldn't even know existed, let alone be able to speak. 

I just didn't know whether our Chief Minister's recent repeated proclamations about our apparent close links with the Commonwealth (which somehow weren't there before) were his way of setting the scene for the extra 20,000 people we're told are needed to pay his and his mates pensions and benefits.  

• Like 3

We're effectively facilitating the theft of the African continent by transnational corporations. They keep liquid assets and investments in offshore jurisdictions as a way of keeping their business interests "mobile", in other words as a way to threaten local (African) workers, as the assets held offshore can be readily and quickly put to use in setting up alternative sites of operation in other African countries. Something they couldn't do if they held their money in their own country. It's a global thing, though, not just limited to Africa. It's why the EU was set up, to play European workers off against each other to drag down wages or keep them artificially low. I think it just represents the fact that in Africa, indigenous African people are gaining greater representation in corporations in their own countries, whereas previously it had been people of British / Dutch origins who had all the top jobs in these corporations.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

...................... It's a global-ISATION thing............................

And it's what globalisation has always been about right from the start. Smart how they managed to sell it to politicians of all colours.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, woolley said:

Similar thing happened very quickly in the early 90s. All of a sudden there was quite a large cohort of people who hadn't been in evidence previously. There had been no discussion, nothing about any initiative in the news and of course in those days there was no interweb. I was told by the man in the pub from the government that the UK had said something nice and sugary but what amounted to "don't think you are going to be the only part of Britain not to do your bit" and there they were just like magic. Don't know if this particular one happened, but I do know that "policy suggestions" are "offered".

That's a good story not sure of its providence. 

Just now, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

That's a good story not sure of its providence. 

Provenance. No me neither - as I said.

Just now, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

It's believable though. 

Yeah. A lot of people did remark on it at the time and nobody seemed to know how it had come about which seems odd in a first division democracy. I thought it was early 90s but on reflection, could have been a bit later.

they're all coming  to withdraw their funds from local banks before the next bank crisis hits us.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Yeah. A lot of people did remark on it at the time and nobody seemed to know how it had come about which seems odd in a first division democracy. I thought it was early 90s but on reflection, could have been a bit later.

The truth is probably a lot simpler... in the late 90's early 00's they opened an international catering school down South. This involved an influx of Asian students into the island and a large contingent of them ended up working in MacDonald's. The International Business School was also taking students from around the world including several from Africa. A couple ended up working in a company I was working for at the time. Although my memory is somewhat hazy of that time I  seem to remember that part of the deal at the time for using the business school seemed to be getting an extended visa based on completion of their exams. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WTF said:

they're all coming  to withdraw their funds from local banks before the next bank crisis hits us.

Perhaps they were late on arrival to view and bid for the Castle Mona.....?