Manx Gas Standing Charges

La Colombe

I was at the demo yesterday and thought that it was fairly indicative that quite a few others there didn't seem to even know who the political personalities present actually were.

Better informed were having to explain who and what Perkins was, who Corkish was and Allinson and Edge too, to a perhaps lesser degree.

Speaks volumes IMHO for the level of political awareness, if not apathy, that exists that many people cannot even put names to our elected's faces and might go some way to explaining how and why the "establishment" manage to "get away" with as much as they do?

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Better informed were having to explain who and what Perkins was...

They should know that Mr Perkins - like his predecessor - appears to be official spokesperson for Manx Gas, not the politician charged with protecting the public from unfair trading practices. He bent over backwards to avoid investigating the standing charges issue, stating that it was allowed under the present agreement. This is nonsense. This is not about the 9.9% profit Manx Gas are allowed to make; it is about the unfairness of the process - the standing charge. This could, and should, be investigated as an entirely separate issue.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, La Colombe said:

At 9' 18" Mr Perkins actually whistles at the crowd. Like a shepherd. Bizarre. 

I agree that he is a complete cock. What an embarrassment to have people like him "in charge". Looked like a primary school teacher talking to young children. 

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I was at the demo yesterday and thought that it was fairly indicative that quite a few others there didn't seem to even know who the political personalities present actually were.

Better informed were having to explain who and what Perkins was, who Corkish was and Allinson and Edge too, to a perhaps lesser degree.

Speaks volumes IMHO for the level of political awareness, if not apathy, that exists that many people cannot even put names to our elected's faces and might go some way to explaining how and why the "establishment" manage to "get away" with as much as they do?

I got that impression just watching the video. This is something which Quirkio was happy to support and the MHK's who came out to meet the people were all part of the new intake and not responsible for this agreement. 

Perkin's "address" was to the effect that he and his officers had already looked at the matter in some depth and had decided that nothing could be done until the 2018 expiry/renegotiation. He appeared adamant on this.

From what I saw he fielded questions only from the media and brooked no interjections from the demonstrators. He and Corkish (who didn't speak at all) then exited with the door being closed behind them. Leaving Allinson (who I didn't hear speak) and Edge (who voiced support for the demonstration) to take questions.

Allinson surely is conflicted in this as Chair of the MUA. With the undoubted (if not murky) connections between MUA as MG's gas supplier, he must have a very narrow path to follow seeing as the raw product almost doubles (?) in price within MUA's pipes ONTO the Island.

Whilst MG are (conveniently?) the current villain of the piece, could something smell of MUA finances in this matter?