Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dale Cooper FBI

Onchan Main Road traffic Lights

No doubt the timings/sequencing of the lights could be improved somewhat but that's in Titanic deckchair territory. The real issue is that the traffic volumes passing through main road Onchan vastly outstrip the ability of the road to cope. And not simply at peak times.

• Like 2

On the occasion I am driving down through the lights from Avondale Road to turn left at the main road, I keep a very close eye on the lights. Once you've gone past the line of no return, and you have the misfortune of being behind someone meandering down, and it's switches to amber, it roughly translates to "RUN, save yourself". I'm never completely sure what will await me at the bottom. 

I admit, the instances of randomness, traffic confusion and dodgy situations that I've seen there are comparatively low - but they happen, and continue to do so. 

There seems to be something wrong with the ones at the junction of avondale road and Highfield crescent in Birch hill too

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There seems to be something wrong with the ones at the junction of avondale road and Highfield crescent in Birch hill too

They are always on red whenever I try to get to Onchan from Signpost :lol:

• Like 1

I rarely use the Onchan junction, but have to be very wary of a timing sequence defect on Groves Road lights, if you're coming along Spring Valley heading for QB, in the left lane with 'ahead' filter arrow on (other main group on red), if there is no-one in the right turn lane the green arrow just extinguishes without warning, meaning you are very likely to go through on red if you are close to the line.

I have in the past written to highways to point this out, and would quote that in my defence if I ever had to.

• Like 1

Wifi, or smart, traffic lights, are connected to other devices and locations and other sets of lights by wifi internet. So they can be remote controlled, or set to change sequencing or timing in case of unusual traffic flow some distance away, or by specific vehicles having transponders that can over ride sequencing ( buses, fire engines, ambulances, police ) to allow preferential passage. They can also be connected to smart public transport info systems so that bus stops can transmit real time info about next bus arrival, direction, route, delay etc.

8 hours ago, John Wright said:

or by specific vehicles having transponders that can over ride sequencing to allow preferential passage.

Yeah, bloody Athol street  privileges again, gotta get to Jurby to interview  those miscreant, low life, no gooders, can't have traffic lights delaying the elite in their pursuit of £90 / hr guilty pleas, can we?

Was that spluttery enough? :lol:

Can't be bothered setting up a whole new thread. Can anybody explain why Onchan traffic is so congested over the past fortnight? It's taking about half an hour just to get from Governor's Hill past the traffic lights. I can't see any road construction works going on, so what's holding back the traffic???