Falklands Jolly - Pigs in a trough

I'm surprised not a peep has been said of Manx Radios £13,000 party to celebrate anniversary/birthday (IOM Examiner 19/9/2017, page 1). Again it's taken a FOI request to drag out this little nugget. I'm all for a party, but not at the taxpayers expenses. Doubtless Manx Radio will argue that they are a commercial identity. They maybe, but they are a loss leader with the Manx Taxpayer as investors. Doubtless to say the usual suspects and the great and the good attended the party. If Manx Radio wish to be a commercial business in the true sense of the word, fine ........ take away the subventions/Government handouts/subsidy etc, let it sink or swim. Personally I wish it would sink, it's quite frankly a Government Propaganda machine, and another useless waste of money. If the public need news, 3fm is free and are not taxpayer subsidised. If the public wish music, let them tune into BBC radio, which most people pay for, through the TV licence. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can guarantee the finance officer wouldn't be the finance officer if he began questioning expenses  

Lately there have been people moaning about the cost to the tax payer for to service FOI this perfectly demonstrates it is worth every penny.   If only it had not been capped on the number of years it

I was surprised that Tony Wild's bar bill wasn't bigger

Posted Images

On 12/09/2017 at 10:02 PM, Billy the Kid said:

I am just so angry that nothing will happen about this disgraceful episode and all the others by unscrupulous, devious so called politicians, and that they will probably still get re elected despite being useless, feckless, duplicitous, self serving bastards!

Don't forget that we are discussing a collection of self-serving hypocrites who made the disabled pay for their parking whilst retaining free parking for themselves.

That should tell you all you need to know about the "quality" of those involved.....

• Like 7

The response to the freedom of information request follows the usual Manx Radio pattern of telling as little as they can get away with:

Thank you for your request dated 06th September 2017

Your request
You asked for ‘Details of how much was expended by Manx Radio on its 50th anniversary event held at Tower House in November 2014 including on venue hire, event managements, beer, wine and food and entertainment’.

Response to your request
The total cost of Manx Radio’s 50th anniversary event in November 2014 was £13,679.36. As a corporate event it was funded out of Manx Radio’s commercial activities and was a once in a generation opportunity to mark the contributions made by those directly involved in the station from the outset.

Of course they have no separate commercial accounts (and often fail to meet commercial targets), so the distinction is meaningless.  It does seem a lot of money for a party though - it must have been fairly elaborate if it needed 'event management'.

This spending was presumably extra to Manx Radio's normal hospitality bill from an earlier FoI:

Manx Radio - Hospitality Spend
Year:
Apr 13 to Mar 14 £957.20
Apr 14 to Mar 15 £632.72
Apr 15 to Mar 16 £1,803.29
Apr 16 to Mar 17 £938.77
Apr 17 to July 17 £378.56

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Seems the trough is like a wormhole. Juan's mate from the Falklands here now.

It'll be an Expenses Seminar for Crown Territories reps. "How to book your smellies and aspirin on the taxpayer's tab". Followed by a heads-up on Good Governance. From Rodan.

Edited by Non-Believer
On 9/12/2017 at 8:58 PM, 2112 said:

With this FOI request and subsequent publication and the resulting publicity, any normal person would be thoroughly ashamed, of being such a tight wad, and ashamed by embarrassing the island by their actions. JW will be forever known by two major things, getting pissed and being sick on a bus and charging the taxpayer for a packet of tablets. What a fcuking joke and embarrassment. I'm now beginning to wonder, if JW was the only Tynpotwald member, to put in questionable expenses claims? I'm quite convinced in the future, other quite well known and sanctimonious MHKs will be caught out by their penny pinching actions.

I heard he bummed a penguin when he was there too. He's a complete idiot. 

• 3 years later...
39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Treasurer of Commonwealth Association of Public Accounts Committees..., presumably he'll be checking on receipts for paracetamol and tissues from his colleagues in future.

After the breathtaking overspend on the totally stupid and unnecessary trip to tour the Falkland battlegrounds plus the ridiculously petty X's he banged in afterwards clearly he was the ideal candidate to keep that particular gravy train rolling along.

Pass the sick-bag Alice...

• Like 5
4 hours ago, P.K. said:

After the breathtaking overspend on the totally stupid and unnecessary trip to tour the Falkland battlegrounds plus the ridiculously petty X's he banged in afterwards clearly he was the ideal candidate to keep that particular gravy train rolling along.

Pass the sick-bag Alice...

Did he wear his officer cadet uniform whilst on tour?
Or was it wig and tights?

• Like 1