Cherry Orchard to close...Juan is sad

52 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:
On Monday we were told that the Cherry Orchard Hotel operation was closing with the loss of 25 jobs.  The blame was placed on the rent and rates Tribunal:

"It is simply impossible for a Hotel business to survive the imposition of such an unjustified set of directions, so we have had no alternative but to close"

On Tuesday we are told via Facebook that:

"Firstly we would like to say a big thank you for the overwhelming support from our many well wishers in our new Apartment and Leisure project. It is a sad loss that our Bar and Food operation has closed today but we will continue with:...
-Our self-catering Apartments
-Long Let Apartments
-Swimming Pool
-Club Memberships
-Julies Gym Classes
-The popular Swimming Lessons.

Our Apartments are available for visiting Friends and family and of course our regular business clients"

So it is only the bar and restaurant that has closed and the rest of the business remains with staff needed to run things.

Why has it been necessary for the Hotel Company to cease trading?  Is it the overcharging debt to leaseholders?  This debt is small next to the assets in the complex.

Why, if as is claimed, the Tribunal judgement was so unfair regarding the pool energy costs is the pool still operating whilst the bar/restaurant closes?  Does the closure of Chequers really have anything to do with the Tribunal directions?

In 24 hours we have gone from the closure of the Hotel with 25 job losses to "our new apartment and Leisure project!

You do know we are talking about the Gillings bros here. They must have made and stashed mega, so £90,000 is peanuts.

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its never exactly busy in there these days,  i suspect it was barely ticking over and having to find 90k now will be the last straw.   shame  it wasn't owned by the sefton group cos there ju

Yes, the emergency wheelbarrow would have been trundled down there PDQ if it had been the Sefton boys. The phone would have been hot in the Council of Ministers.... 

They clearly didnt have enough "connected" shareholders.......

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

I think you will find cunt trumps fuck in most peoples vocabulary

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

As my dear old ma used to say

My dear old ma was a Methodist, so would not have said the word "trump", let alone "c" or "f"  :)

• Like 3

We were looking to buy one of the apartments.

We subsequently found the managing company had been loading the leaseholders up with the admin costs for the holiday lets as well.

The management company threatened to liquidate if they would be charged the initial Tribunal findings of a leasholder reimbursement of £90k.

The Tribunal then traced the overcharging back to 2010.

This increaesed the reimbursement to £220k +

The next Tribunal we think was 20/9.

We purchased elsewhere...

6 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You do know we are talking about the Gillings bros here. They must have made and stashed mega, so £90,000 is peanuts.

Probably blew it all.

I believe:  the ol' man had found some land Yorkshire ways which he grew rhubarb on. That was all it was good for. Then there was a bit of a housing boom and he found he was in a position to sell the land and houses made, well, better money than rhubarb.

Back then, Isle of Man was the choice place for the suddenly rich to stash the cash and Fuschia Homes was splashed all over Port Erin. When that first artifical York stone was laid marks the day the heart was ripped out of the village. Then the hen hutches on Station Road - Ballamaddrell - were built. (How we laughed at the people who were paying £12-£16k for one of those, although to be fair they are selling around the £200k mark now).

Anyway, when he died the lads stepped into the 'Squires' shoes and making money, or rather managing it, should have been like falling off a log.

Edited by Torry loon
9 hours ago, P.K. said:

We were looking to buy one of the apartments.

We subsequently found the managing company had been loading the leaseholders up with the admin costs for the holiday lets as well.

The management company threatened to liquidate if they would be charged the initial Tribunal findings of a leasholder reimbursement of £90k.

The Tribunal then traced the overcharging back to 2010.

This increaesed the reimbursement to £220k +

The next Tribunal we think was 20/9.

We purchased elsewhere...

you are either very astute or should seriously think of taking up poker as a profession.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, twinkle said:

you are either very astute or should seriously think of taking up poker as a profession.

No need to take up Poker, PK is correct in what he has said. The 220,000 was owing to the management company, in total the amount owing to the residents was less than £50000 but a Gillings would never give anything back that was owing, known as the "Bully Boys " in Port Erin

You will have or will shortly receive a letter from the Cherry Orchard regarding the overcharge calculation.

There are some positives:

They are admitting there has been an overcharge give a figure as to what this amount is for each apartment;

After debate they are also accepting there is VAT to also be refunded.

However as ever with COM there are some suspect claims.  The letter includes a claim that there was an undercharge in 2012 which they are then offsetting again the refund.  I have seen no justification for this.

Further they claim an undercharge has taken place since 2014 and also offset this against the refund due.  This claim is based on "following Mr Wright's directions" which we would dispute. 

A suggestion that Mr Wright made an error in the energy charge apportionment which will be reversed in September is bunkum.  Firstly Mrs Kniverton has made it clear that she will not be examining any issues decided by Mr Wright and the evidence they claim for the energy cost apportionment is based on an energy meter they fitted to the pool to try and prove Mr Wright got it wrong.  I have never seen this meter but from correspondence do not believe it to have been independently and professionally fitted or audited.  Needless to say should they try and have this matter looked I believe their evidence is suspect.

The letter you will receive (should it be the same as the one sent to me) seems to be more about trying to paint a picture that after September they will not have to pay any money back so  suggesting we don't take action now to recover it (through legal action or short payment) - this is very dubious thinking on their part!
Edited by Manxman2000
2 minutes ago, twinkle said:

i DO NOT doubt pk's astuteness in seeing through the gillings marketing and steering clear.

Thanks.

But I never thought, until recently, that I would be coming back.....