Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
censorship

Another reason we have no cash...

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Did these charges come before the election? Can't have done her chances much good if so. 

No they didnt

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

So are you seriously saying that the person's reputation was damaged. Did she not do that herself? Maybe I missed something again.

It was damaged before and, I think it's a reasonable observation, that these unproven allegations damaged it further.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

It was damaged before and, I think it's a reasonable observation, that these unproven allegations damaged it further.

Edited by dilligaf

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I don't agree with that. A bit like saying O J Simpsons was, from what I am told.

You mean like how OJ was a National Hero then faced unproven allegations after which most of the world thought he was a murderer?

Just now, Declan said:

You mean like how OJ was a National Hero then faced unproven allegations after which most of the world thought he was a murderer?

Wrong thread fella. That should be in "Jokes"

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:
5 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Did these charges come before the election? Can't have done her chances much good if so. 

No they didnt

They didn't come before the by-election, but they came in June 2016, before the general election, and could have stopped her standing in that.  And of course that means that it has taken the AG's Office 15 months to decide they didn't have a case.

Incidentally there's yet another case of prosecution incompetence reported today:

Prosecution's summation of forensics criticised

A case in which two men are accused of intending to supply heroin on the Island has been adjourned for a further week.

They appeared before Deputy High Bailiff, Jayne Hughes, who criticised the way results of forensic testing were conveyed in court - calling the prosecution's summation 'unsatisfactory'.

19 year-old St Helen's man Andrew James Bardsley of Bootle in Liverpool and 18-year-old George Paul Thomas Underwood, of no fixed abode, are accused of possessing hundreds of pounds worth of the Class A drug.

They're next due in court on 26 September at 10am.

3 hours ago, Declan said:

Your personal opinion of a person doesn't constitute a person's reputation.

45 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They didn't come before the by-election, but they came in June 2016, before the general election, and could have stopped her standing in that.  And of course that means that it has taken the AG's Office 15 months to decide they didn't have a case.

A clearly politicised with-hunt.

6 hours ago, Dale Cooper FBI said:

Your personal opinion of a person doesn't constitute a person's reputation.

But my personal opinion of their reputation is my personal opinion of their reputation. Which is all I was stating. 

You don't really get nuance do you?

7 hours ago, Dale Cooper FBI said:

A clearly politicised with-hunt.

Never underestimate the incompetence of the Manx authorities. 

What you are suggesting is a 15 month conspiracy involving the police and the AG to stop someone standing, who had recently come 3rd in a by-election, had said she wouldn't stand again and would have been assimilated into the fold like every other mhk within weeks if successful. 

They're just not that competent. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Declan said:

You don't really get nuance do you?

Is that a deodorant?

5 hours ago, Declan said:

Never underestimate the incompetence of the Manx authorities. 

What you are suggesting is a 15 month conspiracy involving the police and the AG to stop someone standing, who had recently come 3rd in a by-election, had said she wouldn't stand again and would have been assimilated into the fold like every other mhk within weeks if successful. 

They're just not that competent. 

A fair point. I hadn't considered that. So I retract my comment.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dilligaf said:

So are you seriously saying that the person's reputation was damaged. Did she not do that herself? Maybe I missed something again.

Oh right. I understand the point you were making now. Yes, I'd agree her interaction with one or two Facebook pages and on this forum didn't help enhance her reputation, or perhaps create a good first impression if you hadn't encountered her previously, but that was to a relatively limited audience really. Being taken to court ensured widespread coverage in the 'mainstream' local media, such as Isle of Man Newspapers, Manx Radio, 3FM etc etc, which can only have resulted in her reputation being damaged to a new and much wider audience.

Also, her previous online interaction made her look a bit silly and gobby. The non-case the Attorney General's Chambers brought against her alleged she had broken the law, was a criminal, and had harassed someone, which is clearly much more serious than posting like a dick a few times. I'm pleased for her and her husband this ordeal is over, hope everyone who read initial media reports and jumped to 'smoke and fire' conclusions sees the outcome, and that she sues the AG's Chambers for what it has put her through.

Good job everyone in the Attorney General's Chambers is whiter than white and none of them have skeletons in the closet, isn't it?

There was a rumour doing the rounds that this woman and members of her family had been verbally harassed by a person in the Island, and that the fact those allegations weren't investigated or dragged in front of a court with no evidence had nothing to do with the person being the sister of a current or former police officer.

the isle of man - where you can (get away with whatever you like as long as you know the right people)

You really are a fucktard with your conspiracy theories.  Any police matter involving a relative etc has to go to the Attorney General for an independent decision to be made.  This women is poison.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chancer said:

You really are a fucktard with your conspiracy theories.  Any police matter involving a relative etc has to go to the Attorney General for an independent decision to be made.  This women is poison.

I have no idea of the details of this case, but even if the AG's Office was completely impartial and wonderfully efficient (and the point about this thread is that a lot of people are saying they're not, including the judiciary), they could only take decisions on what information has been given to them.  However accusations such as the above are usually based on the Police ignoring and failing to investigate complaints of crimes that have been made to them, so there's nothing for them to receive and make a decision on.