electric vehicles

doc.fixit

The island is one place where electric vehicles probably would be better than anything else mainly due to restricted mileage. I don't feel the same way about how their advocates are selling the idea elewhere though.

Great in cities but too many drawbacks to generally replace fossil fuel powered until technology improves. As fossil fuels become dearer technology will no doubt improve quickly.

• Like 1

I just love v6s and v8s and don't want to lose mine!!

Me neither although my family's 6's are in straight and boxer config.

I reject the idea of some owners of such cars are viewed as environmental terrorists. Mine only do a very lower annual mileage (<2,000 between them).

There's a lot more to environmental damage than what comes out of the exhaust!

• Like 2

On 19/09/2017 at 3:03 PM, x-in-man said:

When we have all gone electric, what are the fire service going to do - Back to a horse and cart and hand pumps?

Fire out (see what I did there) the water tanks and fill the voids with batteries job jobbed, oh wait I see a flaw in the plan.

We have had two electric cars (me and the wife) since 2012 and 2013. They are great for the island but the infrastructure is sadly lacking and no doubt will continue to be so. The very few charging points already installed are almost invariably badly placed, badly protected from damage and not properly signed to alert drivers of non-electric vehicles. Added to that, there are no fast chargers and the existing ones are frequently out of service for lengthy periods (two in Ramsey haven't been available for months). As more EVs take to our roads the situation regarding public charging will become worse.  There is no grant towards purchase of EVs here (unlike the UK) and the Isle of Man, despite being a near-ideal location for EVs, will have missed yet another opportunity to lead the world. As to home charging putting a strain on the power supply network, EVs are usually charged overnight when there is much less demand for power and MUA offer a special tariff to encourage this. The MUA initiative and the Steam Packet's provision of power points on Manannan are two hopeful signs that some people on the island are taking electric vehicles seriously. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IOMRS97 said:

The very few charging points already installed are almost invariably badly placed, badly protected from damage and not properly signed to alert drivers of non-electric vehicles. Added to that, there are no fast chargers and the existing ones are frequently out of service for lengthy periods (two in Ramsey haven't been available for months). 

The entire island and back should be within the range of a single charge. So why should the island provide free charging points at all? Why not just charge your cars at home?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pongo said:

The entire island and back should be within the range of a single charge. So why should the island provide free charging points at all? Why not just charge your cars at home?

I look forward to seeing people walking along the pavements jumping over all of the power leads from vehicles to houses.

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

Maybe it isn't a problem for you or me, but I think you have overlooked a major problem for a large percentage of people including some in quite expensive properties.

There is certainly a good case for improving bus services, cycle routes etc. And perhaps when we need a car for something specific we will rent it by the hour. Fewer cars in general will be a good outcome.

20 minutes ago, woolley said:

Ah right. Get the plebs off the road and there will be more room for us.

No that's not my thinking. For example, my car is just taking up drive space most of the time. I seldom use it. I would much rather pick up a car pre charged from a pool if I need one. It's sort of annoying having to own a great chunk of stuff which I only use once or twice a week.

And proper public transport would make the place better in general. Especially at night.

It would be different if I were regularly towing or needed, say, a van for work.

Edited by pongo