Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
woolley

MLC Rant - says Manx Radio.

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

High treason...get a fucking grip son

But accurate.

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

Indeed. Many thousands of Manxies will have a hard time swallowing that fact. 

And that's what it is. A fact.

The myth of independence is a carefully woven illusion that conveniently covers that the IoM is a vehicle run for the benefit of the local establishment and its socio-economic level cronies. Bit like "The Matrix" but substitute them for the machines.

Which was all well and good until the funding ran out. Now the blissfully ignorant, still proudly Manx, are being expected to pay more to maintain the illusion. And are starting to grumble, including the MG protesters.

With a bit of luck the illusion will start to crumble a bit more. But it won't be given up easily. Too many comfortable vested interests to be defended.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

High treason...get a fucking grip son

It wouldn't be high treason if it was just a regular person on the street, but this clown has been sitting on the Legislative Council of our Parliament for a decade. If a member of the UK Parliament, especially a political appointee as opposed to a directly elected member (LegCo is more akin to the UK Cabinet Office than the UK House of Lords), acted like a twat in this way and trash talked the UK and said they were moving their business to China, do you think they'd last five more than minutes before being forced to resign? He needs to resign or be sacked. End of.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

It wouldn't be high treason if it was just a regular person on the street, but this clown has been sitting on the Legislative Council of our Parliament for a decade. If a member of the UK Parliament, especially a political appointee as opposed to a directly elected member (LegCo is more akin to the UK Cabinet Office than the UK House of Lords), acted like a twat in this way and trash talked the UK and said they were moving their business to China, do you think they'd last five more than minutes before being forced to resign? He needs to resign or be sacked. End of.

He leads a life of taking the piss, just like his dad did. |He won't change.

• Like 1

This thread is full of so much bullshit disguised as fact that it's opened my eyes to how much bollocks goes on in all the other threads.

Yes I realise how naive I've been but I honestly thought people just had different opinions, not make stuff up. 

6 minutes ago, sarahc said:

This thread is full of so much bullshit disguised as fact that it's opened my eyes to how much bollocks goes on in all the other threads.

Yes I realise how naive I've been but I honestly thought people just had different opinions, not make stuff up. 

Mrs T ?

14 minutes ago, sarahc said:

Example?  (You don't need to quote your own stuff):lol:

17 minutes ago, sarahc said:

Well done. It only took you 12 years to figure out that this forum is full of bullshit. Or do you mean this thread in particular? If so, I would be love it if you could be more specific about who is talking bullshit. I believe Juan Turncoat is the one talking bullshit, although notwell has also been posting on the thread as well so I guess it would be unfair to stop at Turncoat.

43 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I'd say birch the bastard but our english masters wont let us so i wont.

Aye, suggest the birch and you may regret it. Don't do it, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell your English masters that they may take our ability to birch, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!  :angry:

Edited by Aristotle
  • Like 1

The IoM is in a difficult position. As others have stated without low tax/no tax attracting business here we would have nothing but a small population based on farming, fishing and a small amount of tourism. In effect we would look similar to many of the island in the Hebrides. Unless that is what we want we cannot become part of the UK or wherever but have to plough our own furrow.

However the low tax full public service model that as a society we have been used to is potentially not affordable. Long term the options are to increase local taxes, introduce more charging or decrease services provided. Probably a mixture of all 3. The UK despite having a higher tax rate struggles to balance the books and they have corporation tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax. No wonder the IoM Govt struggle now the VAT windfall has gone. All those options appear unpalatable to the population judging from reactions when any are introduced or proposed. As a population we appear to expect the same level of services as are available in the UK whilst at the same time paying less tax. I do not see how that is achievable long term.

Increase taxes or charges and decreasing services makes the Island a less attractive place to work or move to. Our cost of living may be less than living in London but Turner was right that in that if you are on an income of say £50,000 or less then financially you will probably better off living in many parts of the UK. Whilst financially we may be attractive for higher earners for a family on average wage we are not. How is the Island to attract or retain teachers, healthcare staff apart from quality of life without paying more but then we have the problem of how does the Government pay them. Similarly with private companies who provide good jobs with decent but not high wages.  

Is Government aware of the issues and problems? I am pretty sure they are but despite posters on here complaining that Govt don’t raise these issues I am not surprised. They have to try and sell the IoM to attract business and flagging up all the issues and problems is not the way to do that. All it would do is drive business away from the IoM. Are Govt trying to address? Again I am pretty sure they are but I am not sure they really have an idea what the answer is as to balance the books long terms we may need to increase taxes/charges and decrease services but this makes the IoM less attractive to businesses and the population who we need.

Can the circle be squared? To be honest I have no idea but I have my doubts until the population are prepared for the pain rather than believing making a few civil servants redundant or knocking a bit of MHKs’ pension and salaries is the answer.

Finally is the current House of Keys any good? Well we will always struggle to attract top talent when the salary is at a level below what many earn in the private sector earn. Yes we have a few in the likes of Malarkey, Ashford and Callister, who in my view demonstrate few of the attributes I would expect in an MHK let alone a member of a department or a minister, but overall I think the current house is significantly better than the previous one. They might have been nice people, John Houghton possibly excepted, with an interest in Manx life and politics but I would prefer a few who were less nice but competent. Phil Gawne may be a lovely bloke but reading this topic it appears that many already have forgotten how appalling he was as a Minister at the DoI. Give a few of the new members another year or so and I reckon some will be Ministers and although we will moan about what an awful job they are doing chances are they will still be a step up on their predecessors. Do we really think that some of the new intake would not be better than say Malarkey or Skelly?     

16 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

The IoM is in a difficult position. As others have stated without low tax/no tax attracting business here we would have nothing but a small population based on farming, fishing and a small amount of tourism. In effect we would look similar to many of the island in the Hebrides. Unless that is what we want......

Actually, that is exactly what I want.

• Like 1