Ronaldsway Airport

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The joke amongst all this is the airport was furnished with millions upon millions of pounds to cope with the projected 2 million PAX plus per year by now ! It can't even deal with two easy jet flight

So they designed the current (relatively new) section wrong and now need to fix it again. This is 100% managerial incompetence, nothing else. It's a tiny airfield. How bloody hard can it be? I've

Its sorted now.  Rob Callister has fired off an email and is just waiting for a response.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's nonsense though.  If you look at the latest figures (for August) the passenger numbers have only risen by 0.8% over the last year, so any increase is pretty minimal.  It's true the number of flights has dropped by about a quarter, but most of that is because Citywing have stopped flying frequent flights with small numbers of passengers.  Even where those have been replaced with fewer flights, the number involved isn't large.  And easyJet and Flybe, the biggest carriers aren't using bigger planes.

In any case, these are scheduled flights.  The Airport management knows when they are going to be arriving and departing, roughly how many passengers there will be, what will be the busy times, such as early Friday evening.  Even if patterns had changed, adjustments should be made to cope.

It looks very odd as you say. 

The fact that flights are scheduled should mean that there's enough staff available to support travelers. Maybe it's the case of typical IOMG work practices in that they can't change people's contracts to make them work at the time at which they are needed to work the most like the buses and the TT debacle. They probably have people kicking round for the rest of the day.

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Everybody i queued with yesterday had their "shit in order". You would need to use time lapse photography to notice any movement of said queue.

What time was that though? I'm guessing the evening flights are the worst as for some contractual reason everyone has buggered off home having largely done largely bugger all for most of the day when the flight volumes are relatively light and they have to pay them overtime to work when they're actually needed and some won't do it. 

Edited by JoeyDeaconsCat
3 hours ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

It looks very odd as you say. 

The fact that flights are scheduled should mean that there's enough staff available to support travelers. Maybe it's the case of typical IOMG work practices in that they can't change people's contracts to make them work at the time at which they are needed to work the most like the buses and the TT debacle. They probably have people kicking round for the rest of the day.

Security is handled by a private company from Ireland and have a minimum manning level regardless of time of day. The peak times at IOM airport are no real different to other airports. Mon morning, Fri + Sun late afternoon and early evening and a little on Sat mornings, being when leisure travel is at it's most and hence why airfares are cheaper Tuesday thru to Thursday morning.

Travelling last Sunday it was clear people arrived around 25mins before take off time for easyjet and often see it too, so joe public doesn't always help themselves!

Why has this suddenly become a problem ?  More hand luggage? there have always been a busy period first thing and teatime.  I noticed last time I flew the luggage taking ages to get unloaded and there was only one flight that had landed, perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye....a go slow...over new contract terms ? 

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Why has this suddenly become a problem ?  More hand luggage? there have always been a busy period first thing and teatime.  I noticed last time I flew the luggage taking ages to get unloaded and there was only one flight that had landed, perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye....a go slow...over new contract terms ? 

My take on it is that the airport has failed to adapt to the changing passenger flows. We were served down the years by operators with 50 seat turboprops.  Today, we have Easy on 3 routes, Gatwick, L'pool & Bristol.  They operate a much larger aircraft, with 160 odd seats, and for the most part, they fill those seats. So if you get two flights quite close together, you can get over 300 people pressing down on security at more or less the same time. 

We also have quite  a few weekend direct flights to the Med etc, in the summer, again with larger planes.

They need flexibility. The ability to go from one channel open in security to three or four in order to get through it without delay.  That's the requirement, and they need to stop pissing around, and meet it.

• Like 2