Ronaldsway Airport

Mac the Knife

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Ask yourself why haven't those queues formed before ? Easy have been here for a while no queues. The DTI have audited the security and it has been found wanting hence the increase in waiting time, agreed the layout is crap! Came out at a meeting of pilots for an airline !!

So did you ask your horse who the DTI were? If your horse is a pilot, I guarantee the CAA who actually audit airports wouldn't tell an airline or it's staff what problems exist or don't exist within security.  

14 hours ago, notwell said:

I'd agree with Lxxx 

I'm regularly through the airport and nothing had materially changed over the past six months.  The process is no slower or quicker and if you are there on good time you are not fannying around in long queues.

The time of your arrival has nothing to do with the length of queues just the time you spend in departures.  

There is an issue going through security.   I have mentioned a couple of possible causes, neither of which seem to be caused by increased scrutiny, although the time it is taking to look at the xray of hand baggage may well be.  I do think the layout of the tables could be improved as there is only a relatively small area to fill the crates and it is that part of the process that takes the time, 

• Like 1

The time does matter.  I'd rather spend longer relaxed in departures (by turning up a touch earlier) than spend a lot longer queueing to get through security.  That bottleneck that occurs around an hour before the morning Gatwick flight can be avoided by being 15 minutes or so earlier than that hour before. In my experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notwell said:

The time does matter.  I'd rather spend longer relaxed in departures (by turning up a touch earlier) than spend a lot longer queueing to get through security.  That bottleneck that occurs around an hour before the morning Gatwick flight can be avoided by being 15 minutes or so earlier than that hour before. In my experience.

if the staff are actually there to process you.

12 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I travel through the airport perhaps 12 times a year (each way) - add my family into the equation and it becomes say 25 X 2 per year, no noticeable difference to us ??

Guess you don't carry a camera body and lenses? That part was new to me, the signs about taking them out of your camera bag and putting them in a tray. How I enjoyed seeing two £1k lenses clatter in to each other as the scanner operator moved the back and forward as they had a good look at someone else's bags. 

ETA Agree with Gladys - the table before the scanner is the wrong way. It should be lined up towards the scanner, not across it. People put their stuff in trays and then often can't move the along because other passenger's trays are in the way as even though they are now on the other side of the table their trays often haven't moved at all.

Edited by The Old Git

3 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Guess you don't carry a camera body and lenses? That part was new to me, the signs about taking them out of your camera bag and putting them in a tray. How I enjoyed seeing two £1k lenses clatter in to each other as the scanner operator moved the back and forward as they had a good look at someone else's bags. 

Reminds me of a similar experience , a few years back when a numpty ,on security, asked how to detach a lens from one of the cameras , I explained it was a bayonet fitting and he struggled to separate , and I only just managed to prevent him from poking his finger into the body of the camera.

I also learned that the way to get yourself and your luggage comprehensively searched was to wear a scruffy(?) Barbour Jacket  , wooly had and camera bag, to be waived through wear a 3 piece suit, bow tie with the same camera bag:D

While I'm still cross:lol: the security at the ports is just as daft , picture the scene at Liverpool when a elderly motorcycle chap was body searched and I waited while the underside of my vehicle ( an estate , full to the gunnels with stuff)  was examined with the aid of a mirror on a stick then   his mate asked me if I'd packed the car myself and waived me through after an extremely cursory glance.

Now I know the usual suspects will probably assure me that the staff are so well trained and have a sixth sense to detect crooks /money launderers /terrorists / smugglers / etc etc but I don't share that view and it seems like an excuse for perhaps the odd one or two "security chaps" to boost their ego/self importance.

just saying:flowers:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, paswt said:

a numpty ,on security, asked how to detach a lens from one of the cameras , I explained it was a bayonet fitting and he struggled to separate , and I only just managed to prevent him from poking his finger into the body of the camera.

That's my worry. I tend to take the lens off the body these days when travelling as there's less chance of a bang straining the mount. I'm was watching for security taking the body cap off as I'm a bit anal about dust getting to the sensor.

We travel by Steam packet quite often and we've been Blue Riband / Mannanan Exec members for a good while. My fool proof way of avoiding security checks as a foot passenger is to hold my Mannanan card with the boarding card and you always get waved straight past security. Of course, now that I posted this, I'll probably get a full body search next time

4 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

That's my worry. I tend to take the lens off the body these days when travelling as there's less chance of a bang straining the mount. I'm was watching for security taking the body cap off as I'm a bit anal about dust getting to the sensor.

We travel by Steam packet quite often and we've been Blue Riband / Mannanan Exec members for a good while. My fool proof way of avoiding security checks as a foot passenger is to hold my Mannanan card with the boarding card and you always get waved straight past security. Of course, now that I posted this, I'll probably get a full body search next time

I s'pose you could always have demanded full body search :lol: 

The way to get the 'full monty' is if you have a daft friend to accompany you who , when asked by the ticket lady (when picking up your tickets)  "Is there anything else you would like" responds with "Could I have a portion of fries" :D:flowers: