Ronaldsway Airport

Mac the Knife

3 hours ago, woody2 said:

split or bay.....

Only T1 (1950-67) we’re split. That’s 1967 or earlier. T2 came as T2a and T2b with dividing date in Europe of 1971. T2 were the Bay.

The original design was for one windscreen, but it ended up with a drag coefficient of 0.78. The V on the front and the split screen reduced it to 0.44.

i know it’s confusing because they were originally designated Type 2; the Beetle was Type 1. But later designated T ( for transporter ) 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Edited by John Wright

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Only T1 (1950-67) we’re split. That’s 1967 or earlier. T2 came as T2a and T2b with dividing date in Europe of 1971. T2 were the Bay.

The original design was for one windscreen, but it ended up with a drag coefficient of 0.78. The V on the front and the split screen reduced it to 0.44.

i know it’s confusing because they were originally designated Type 2; the Beetle was Type 1. But later designated T ( for transporter ) 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

only called this since the 1990s, based on VW's retrospective T1,2,3,4 etc. naming system.

Edited by woody2

.......I believe many of the Brazilian type 2s were fitted with the Golf diesel. They are differentiated by the radiator stuck on the front..............there is a lot of snobbery around the type 2 and it's specifics............just for the record I have owned 3 splitties, one a van and 5 bay windows...............

Edited by doc.fixit

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Can’t admit you’re wrong, can you? 

Theres a difference between Type 2 and T2.

PK mentioned the T2 and you asked “split or bay?”

only T1 were split. T2 were bay. They were both Type 2.

only after the mid 1990's when vw changed them....

retrospectively referred to as versions "T1" to "T5" a nomenclature only invented after the introduction of the front-drive T4 which replaced the T25

Microbus, Splitscreen, or Splittie among modern fans, was produced from 8 March 1950 through the end of the 1967 model year. From 1950 to 1956, the T1 (not called that at the time)

Edited by woody2

49 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.......I believe many of the Brazilian type 2s were fitted with the Golf diesel. They are differentiated by the radiator stuck on the front..............there is a lot of snobbery around the type 2 and it's specifics............just for the record I have owned 3 splitties, one a van and 5 bay windows...............

Was brought up with combis, and 2 splittie motorhomes and a Bay motorhome, all of which my dad converted from base donor vehicles.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Woody2, sigh. They were called Type 2, to distinguish from Type 1, the Beetle.

PK said he had a T2. You asked Split or Bay. T2 only came in Bay.

You clearly don’t understand the difference between Type 2 and T2.

a split was called a t2 until the mid 90's, it was never known as a t1 during the time it was made...

#fact

Woody fake fact. The splittie was known as  a Type2, not a T2. Even you should be able to see there’s a difference.

Youre either trolling, being deliberately obtuse, or thick.

Given your propensity for putting your own peculiar spin on anything, and then pretending  your position was different or ignoring incontrovertible truth to stubbornly stick to untenable positions it’s probably the latter.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Woody fake fact. The splittie was known as  a Type2, not a T2. Even you should be able to see there’s a difference.

it was known as the t2 #fact

was produced from 8 March 1950 through the end of the 1967 model year. From 1950 to 1956, the T1 (not called that at the time)

No, it was known as the Type 2. That differentiated it from the Beetle which was Type 1.

Type 2 included what we now know as T1, T2, and T3. (First, second and third generation Type 2’s ). Designation changed in 1990 when the T4 was introduced and the Type 2 first, second and third generation were retrospectively named T1, T2 and T3.

Edited by John Wright