Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Mac the Knife

Ronaldsway Airport

5 hours ago, jim said:

I had a type 182, i also had type 247 with the rare M855 option package. (Profile pic)

Now I just have a beetle.

I disagree, you may have a Type 182 but the Doka wasn't a type 247, you can't just put the word type in front of the model, it was a Type 2 T3 with the rare M955 package ;-)

On 11/01/2018 at 11:41 AM, John Wright said:

We’ve gone off thread, returning to security queues, 

get us back on thread then and delete the last 4 pages of volkswagen bollocks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just saw the below story on FB. I forgot how badly designed the security area really is until I passed through it again the other day. People missing flights because of this is unacceptable. It's a tiny airport. If continued incompetence by the people running it is the cause of this (and it sure looks like it) then it's about time there were some consequences. I have seriously seen provincial airfields in the Philippines that are better than this and they have a fraction of the budget this clown show has. Also, nice to see the security staff still haven't understood that they aren't there to bully people but to provide a service. Not all of them were bad (older dude at the entrance was really nice actually. very friendly), but there was at least one jumped up little twat who should read a book on customer service or change jobs. Your little G4S costume gives you zero rights to be rude to people, but if gives me an opportunity to file a written complaint against you. Seriously, how hard can it be to run a tiny regional airport? Someone get a grip of this place.

If you can't see the pictures below the FB group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1234208949961875/permalink/1531823186867115/

5a7ace8370017_Screenshot-2018-2-7IOMPatientTransfer(Feedback).png.308e6f11fee23a8defd9f2bfc96963f1.png

5a7ace70ab3d8_Screenshot-2018-2-7IOMPatientTransfer(Feedback)(1).thumb.png.12226e657e143c901f16fbceb89ea4a1.png

5a7ace7f3a334_Screenshot-2018-2-7IOMPatientTransfer(Feedback)(2).thumb.png.3681539459beb4ab4105f4a5956d82ad.png

An absolute disgrace.

Four months have elapsed since I raised this with the Chief Minister,MHK's and Anne Reynolds and despite platitudes and blaming passengers for turning up late absolutely nothing has happened to improve the position.

I feel sorry for Carole and her Group and their experience, it should not happen,but sadly those in authority take little notice of genuine problems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

The layout is terrible....not helped by people just keeping the trays on the table until they walk round to the scanner and pick up again.  Can be solved with twenty quids worth of perspex!

But apparently its all the traveller's fault.......

Edited by When Skies Are Grey
  • Like 1

Everything is micromanaged by people on big bucks from her who must be obeyed downwards, they are incompetent fullstop !

Save money, have a clear out and employ someone who can !!!!!!!!!!!

How the devil they were going to cope with the 2.5 million passengers PA forecast and used as the monetary lever is anyones guess !!

Edited by asitis
additions
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Everything is micromanaged by people on big bucks from her who must be obeyed downwards, they are incompetent fullstop !

Save money, have a clear out and employ someone who can !!!!!!!!!!!

How the devil they were going to cope with the 2.5 million passengers PA forecast and used as the monetary lever is anyones guess !!

I really don't understand why it's necessary to have a Director Ports. An HEO grade operations manager for the airport and the same for all seaports (which is what I guess there is now) reporting directly to DOI CEO. 

3 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

Four months have elapsed since I raised this with the Chief Minister,MHK's and Anne Reynolds and despite platitudes and blaming passengers for turning up late absolutely nothing has happened to improve the position.

The problem is the unreasonable length of the queue, taking into consideration the size of the airport.

If, as is suggested, everyone turns up an hour earlier, the queue would still be exactly the same length as is shown in those photos. People would still be sitting on the floor waiting.

• Like 2

A few months back I went through 7 airports in 4 different European countries on a trip over a few days, so presumably they all operate to the same standards, all the others required only one tray for the scanner, Reynoldsway required 3 at the insistence of security staff. Tripling  the workload like that cannot be helping besides the crap layout.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

A few months back I went through 7 airports in 4 different European countries on a trip over a few days, so presumably they all operate to the same standards, all the others required only one tray for the scanner, Reynoldsway required 3 at the insistence of security staff. Tripling  the workload like that cannot be helping besides the crap layout.

A couple of months ago at Ronaldsway, there was no queue for security, but it still took me about 10 minutes to get through the security process.

I went through the scanner ok, but my rucksack somehow failed. They took every single item out of the bag, examined each individual item of clothing, then put each item (and the empty rucksack) back through the scanner, and did a liquids check too. By the time all this had been done, and I'd repacked the bag, a significant time had elapsed. A woman next to me was being given the same treatment.

If this is the normal process, it is not surprising that there are queues.

The check they carried out wasn't completely thorough though - I had a toiletries bag jammed full of spare razors, toothbrushes, paracetamol etc. The woman checking couldn't get the zip open to check inside, so she just gave up! (Perhaps she thought that examining my underwear was sufficient).

My wild guess, based on no facts, is that this is to do with the Gov. farming out security to a contractor - in the name of reducing costs. The contractor is doing exactly what  the  requirement says to do - and points out that  "if you want a speedier process, you have to pay us more money". The Gov. can't do that, because that would mean spending more than when the Gov. operated security. Just a guess.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

A couple of months ago at Ronaldsway, there was no queue for security, but it still took me about 10 minutes to get through the security process.

I went through the scanner ok, but my rucksack somehow failed. They took every single item out of the bag, examined each individual item of clothing, then put each item (and the empty rucksack) back through the scanner, and did a liquids check too. By the time all this had been done, and I'd repacked the bag, a significant time had elapsed. A woman next to me was being given the same treatment.

If this is the normal process, it is not surprising that there are queues.

The check they carried out wasn't completely thorough though - I had a toiletries bag jammed full of spare razors, toothbrushes, paracetamol etc. The woman checking couldn't get the zip open to check inside, so she just gave up! (Perhaps she thought that examining my underwear was sufficient).

My wild guess, based on no facts, is that this is to do with the Gov. farming out security to a contractor - in the name of reducing costs. The contractor is doing exactly what  the  requirement says to do - and points out that  "if you want a speedier process, you have to pay us more money". The Gov. can't do that, because that would mean spending more than when the Gov. operated security. Just a guess.

I understand they were recently audited and found wanting, now they are perhaps overly zealous. 

Something must have changed though, passenger figures have not gone up by much (if at all), Easyjet have been here for several years now with the bigger planes, the crap layout at security has been there for several years since the last improvement of it,  yet it has only been in recent months it has become a problem, what has changed?

We are less tolerant and complain more.

i think it’s timetable changes that end up with four or five planes departing within half an hour. So, 160 on EasyJet, and between 200 and 300 on the prop jobs, all in a concentrated period.

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We are less tolerant and complain more.

i think it’s timetable changes that end up with four or five planes departing within half an hour. So, 160 on EasyJet, and between 200 and 300 on the prop jobs, all in a concentrated period.

I don't think it unreasonable to turn up for a flight an hour before it is expected to leave and have an expectation of getting on ! Easy jet schedule their aircraft arriving and departing together as that cuts down on staff costs. The point is we pay huge sums of taxpayers money to support the airport and its overpaid management staff and they simply can't get it right ! 

• Like 4