Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Mac the Knife

Ronaldsway Airport

I flew out last Thursday and saw no queue and no issues with security. I  didn't need three trays as claimed above. I placed my coat in one and my carry on bag simply sat on the conveyor without a tray. I wasn't carrying liquids, computers or anything else and had placed all my other items in my coat pockets which even drew a comment from security "you've done this before".

We're seeing a combination of factors. The scheduling for sure is one, but the amount of luggage we're carrying has increased due to the airlines' charging structure for hold luggage. In the 80s and early 90s there were few mobile telecoms devices and few laptops etc and everyone checked in their bags.

Add all this together for the perfect storm. It may not be unreasonable to turn up an hour beforehand. If however you know that security will be an issue then try 90 mins instead. Rocket science it isn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Each passenger is paying IOMG £13.00 in Air Passenger Duty to pass through Ronaldsway.    That alone is £10 million quid a year to pay for airport ops.   We aren't getting value for money.      

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Karellen said:

Each passenger is paying IOMG £13.00 in Air Passenger Duty to pass through Ronaldsway.    That alone is £10 million quid a year to pay for airport ops.   We aren't getting value for money.      

I bet Ms R could burn her way through £10M and not even ask what she had to show for it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Karellen said:

iomg standard policy...... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, asitis said:

I understand they were recently audited and found wanting, now they are perhaps overly zealous. 

I would expect there to be written standards  and procedures to follow. I have never had my bags being given such an extreme going-over as happened that day at Ronaldsway.

It cannot have been the security person doing what she felt like - there were  two supervisor-type people there. Neither was doing any work - just watching.

And the people they were watching were the staff; they were not looking for suspicious activity amongst the passengers. In spite of my luggage clearly being thought a bit suspicious in some way, no-one showed the slightest interest in me.

I suppose that's modern airport security, though.

3 hours ago, asitis said:

I don't think it unreasonable to turn up for a flight an hour before it is expected to leave and have an expectation of getting on ! Easy jet schedule their aircraft arriving and departing together as that cuts down on staff costs. The point is we pay huge sums of taxpayers money to support the airport and its overpaid management staff and they simply can't get it right ! 

Wholly agree. Fully understand that all airlines have tight turn round times. Cheaper in air than paying for parking on stand.

i was just pointing out that the security queue delays ( and other things like slow baggage handling ) are caused by bunching of flights.

Three options:

spread out flight arrivals and departures so there’s at least 15 or 20. Ins between. Not really viable. Airlines will dictate based on their slots at the busier airports they fly to/from

employ more staff at peak times and open two security channels. Rostering  with split shifts will be expensive. Would you want to do 2 or 3 hours 6.30 to 9.00 and 18.00 to 21.30?

be inefficient.

Theyve plumped for option 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, piebaps said:

I flew out last Thursday and saw no queue and no issues with security. I  didn't need three trays as claimed above. I placed my coat in one and my carry on bag simply sat on the conveyor without a tray. I wasn't carrying liquids, computers or anything else and had placed all my other items in my coat pockets which even drew a comment from security "you've done this before".

We're seeing a combination of factors. The scheduling for sure is one, but the amount of luggage we're carrying has increased due to the airlines' charging structure for hold luggage. In the 80s and early 90s there were few mobile telecoms devices and few laptops etc and everyone checked in their bags.

Add all this together for the perfect storm. It may not be unreasonable to turn up an hour beforehand. If however you know that security will be an issue then try 90 mins instead. Rocket science it isn't.

Fully agree, and airlines, Ryanair as an example,  are now going back to encouraging hold luggage ( indirectly by reducing cabin baggage sizes ). They tried to reduce hold baggage because of handling costs, but now they’ve discovered that the delays and consequent add on costs caused by unprepared passengers struggling to deal with coats and overweight bags into the overhead bins outweighs the cost of loading and unloading.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Karellen said:

But apart from TV licence fees and NI taxation isn’t hypothecated.

On 11/01/2018 at 8:44 PM, woody2 said:

did someone say something?

#block

:lol:

Not you anyway...

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Fully agree, and airlines, Ryanair as an example,  are now going back to encouraging hold luggage ( indirectly by reducing cabin baggage sizes ). They tried to reduce hold baggage because of handling costs, but now they’ve discovered that the delays and consequent add on costs caused by unprepared passengers struggling to deal with coats and overweight bags into the overhead bins outweighs the cost of loading and unloading.

I’ve long said the charging is the wrong way round. Free hold luggage and charge for hand baggage as it’s the buggers fussing around with their carry on that holds things up.

Do away with wheely bags as carry on as well. If you can’t carry it, it’s not hand luggage.

• Like 3

I get the feeling from the lack of action to resolve this issue that AR is hoping that if we ignore the problem for long enough then it will eventually resolve itself. Until each department's revenue raising capacity is ring fenced then we will never see value for money for the taxes paid individually,whether its passenger duty, road tax or any other. As long as it goes into a central pot and re-distributed then more will be diverted elsewhere.

• Like 5

I travel frequently for work.  I have no issues with queuing.  Its part and parcel of travel and I find most people are patient at security.

I agree he issue at Ronaldsway is partly due to scheduling.  Predominantly down to the slow processing speed per passenger.  About 6 months ago nearly the entire security team seemed to have left.  Perhaps due to the poor audit/report  mentioned above.  By comparison the new team are just too slow at getting people processed, checked and through the scanners.  They are working to process and aren’t paid a great deal but it does need addressing.  

In balance I will say it has got slightly better in recent weeks. 

I have been caught by having my tray re-packed to the individual item per tray liquids analysed in detail and bag seals checked, which I accept is fine if not a pain.   But it needs to be done quickly when there are several hundred people waiting to get through the gate.  The re-packing is just one of several small things that cumulatively mean when there is just one scanner operating each passenger is processed on average in minutes rather than seconds.

The problem at Ronaldsway is not unprepared passengers, it's the ability to get people through the check in a reasonable amount of time. There are queues of fully prepared passengers waiting to place their trays on the scanner!

The staff are friendly enough and are working to a prescribed method, although probably a bit too enthusiastically? There just aren't enough of them, too little room and the second scanner needs switching on! 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The problem at Ronaldsway is not unprepared passengers, it's the ability to get people through the check in a reasonable amount of time. There are queues of fully prepared passengers waiting to place their trays on the scanner!

The staff are friendly enough and are working to a prescribed method, although probably a bit too enthusiastically? There just aren't enough of them, too little room and the second scanner needs switching on! 

The second scanner was being used when I went thru a few weeks ago. Pleasantly surprised, no unreasonable delay.