Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Mac the Knife

Ronaldsway Airport

On 23/02/2018 at 11:30 AM, guzzi said:

Interesting. They seem to be redeveloping it and have said they will re-instate passenger services.  They have mentioned London, Dublin & Belfast as possible destinations.  

They are re-making the runways & taxiways, and building a new terminal. I am a bit puzzled about who will use the airport, though. 

Mainly freight

On 23/02/2018 at 11:19 AM, Andy Onchan said:

Thanks.

I don't have an issue with Stobart service at all... except I'm not keen on the ATR. I've travelled in a fair few ATR's in my time and It's probably one of the most uncomfortable aircraft to be in when there's turbulence.

Manx Shorts 330 and 360 took some beating in that particular stakes

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

Manx Shorts 330 and 360 took some beating in that particular stakes

Yes, anything unpressurised is going to have problems in bad weather. They can't fly above the weather, or rather their passengers can't go above the weather, The Let 410 was just as bad. I watched passengers quite literally ashen faced coming off a Manx2/Citywing Newcastle flight, clearly heartily relieved to be safe on the ground.

I do dislike the ATR  (all types) though, because the cabin wall seems to cut in rather acutely and stop me putting my foot square on the floor.  It does seem noisier than similar types, as well, such as DHC Dash 8s or Saab 2000.

But I suppose that if Stobart takes over Flybe as rumoured, it will inherit a lot of DHC 8s as well as rather lovely jungle jets.

Each time I board an ATR I always think that the wheels look too close together and that the thing is likely to topple onto a wing-tip.

9 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Each time I board an ATR I always think that the wheels look too close together and that the thing is likely to topple onto a wing-tip.

lose some weight then .

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, newaccount said:

according to easyjet the de-icer is broke

So is the ambulift. I can’t do stairs at the moment.

Ronaldsway has a mobility impaired access ramp, brand new, for all the planes apart from EasyJet. Allows me to either shuffle up or be pushed up in a wheelchair.

It sits on the tarmac, unused, someone forgot to do a health and safety assessment or staff training as to how to unfold it and attach to the plane.

so, I get the  step crawler chair today.

1 hour ago, newaccount said:

Can't somebody down there give it a quid or two?

1 hour ago, newaccount said:

pop to woolies and buy another.......

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:34 AM, guzzi said:

Flybe already quote a fare to Southend from/to IoM,  via Manchester.  An Essex friend was quite chuffed to find a flight to IoM from her doorstep, until I spotted the 3 or 4 hour journey time.

Flybe pulled put of the London/IoM market when they gave up almost all their Gatwick slots some years ago.  So if they did choose to fly Southend/IoM it would be in competition with Easy into Gatwick and  BA into LCY. With a direct train link from SEN into the City of London, they might be able to market it as a convenient link to the City.

I know quite a bit about Southend and Stobart's. Isle of Man direct has been on the table for discussion to Southend but as they don't bring the passenger numbers to heavily subsidise the route with secondary revenue, like EasyJet do with their more popular destinations, it doesn't make business sense, yet. They've got spare capacity for about another 3m passengers per annum and are anxious to make inroads into that so...

They're also investing quite heavily in Carlisle and IoM is definitely on the table for that route so I would think that is more likely of the two.

• Thanks 1

Our dear friends at the airport received quite a kicking on Talking Heads yesterday concerning their plans for the revamped security area. Much support for the views of the Travelwatch guy that they’re treating the symptom not the cause.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That'd be the bloke who sold out Manx Airlines then? The same one who has extensive experience of operating an airport under post 9/11 security rules?

They get on my tits those clowns. They don't speak for me and just seem to whine about any changes to anything.

I've been through the place twice in Feb and didn't queue any more than anywhere else. Boarding card bloke said that they'd introduced a shellsuit and baseball cap ban on Liverpool flights and this seemed to have reduced passenger numbers.:D

• Haha 2