Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Mac the Knife

Ronaldsway Airport

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Our dear friends at the airport received quite a kicking on Talking Heads yesterday concerning their plans for the revamped security area. Much support for the views of the Travelwatch guy that they’re treating the symptom not the cause.

They are spending £300,000, of which £160,000 is for the installation of automatic plastic box movers.

Does that mean that a shortage of plastic boxes was 50% of the cause of the peak-time queues? If so, I would have thought that buying a few extra boxes would have been a cheaper option.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

They are spending £300,000, of which £160,000 is for the installation of automatic plastic box movers.

Does that mean that a shortage of plastic boxes was 50% of the cause of the peak-time queues? If so, I would have thought that buying a few extra boxes would have been a cheaper option.

They appear to be spending big bucks demolishing offices to create more queuing space. I’d be impressed if they tackled removing the queues by ensuring the provision of two fully functioning X-ray machines and appropriate staffing. I don’t know exactly what are “automatic plastic box movers” (conveyor belts for the boxes?) but they also seem to be installing two electronic boarding pass readers. Why? There’s never been a delay in having one’s boarding pass read...the delays are occasioned by the slowness of the screening process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I don’t know exactly what are “automatic plastic box movers” (conveyor belts for the boxes?) 

Equipment like this:

https://www.wi-ltd.com/product/automatic-tray-return-baggage-system/

Very useful at airports that have a continuous and high number of passengers throughout the day. Ronaldsway does not have that problem. There is only the occasional peak load during the day. During the quieter periods the security staff could simply pick up a pile of used boxes and carry them a few yards to the incoming area.

Maybe I should make that suggestion to the SAVE committee.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have heard a claim from source at airport that all easyJet flights were cancelled as the steps supplied by Ronaldsway are not rated for high winds, thus not allowed near aircraft as opposed to aircraft tolerances. Might have thought that winds were a factor in choosing steps for an airport in the middle of Irish Sea.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2018 at 9:50 PM, Uhtred said:

I always think that the wheels look too close together 

I know some men like that. 

• Haha 3

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, fredtosser said:

I have heard a claim from source at airport that all easyJet flights were cancelled as the steps supplied by Ronaldsway are not rated for high winds, thus not allowed near aircraft as opposed to aircraft tolerances. Might have thought that winds were a factor in choosing steps for an airport in the middle of Irish Sea.

It wouldn't surprise anyone if it were true.

Getting onto the subject of spending lots of money on unnecessary technology it wouldn't surprise me if it is a CAA stipulation to have these automatic scanners at every UK airport now. They're completely unnecessary but they like standardisation and this is a perfect example for those expensive eye scanners and other technology which they can log into their big data centres on everyone.  

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, fredtosser said:

https://kathmandutribune.com/second-generation-radar-offing-make-air-service-safe-reliable/

even fucking third world countries fare better than the mess we have here,WHAT a SHAMBLES.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Does anyone at the airport actually have any experience in running an airport? Serious question.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Does anyone at the airport actually have any experience in running an airport? Serious question.

Yes, she does. In Germany. But it was a "limited experience". By her employers.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, she does. In Germany. But it was a "limited experience". By her employers.

She was also involved in the management of Southampton airport according to the bloke who tends my neighbour’s garden!!

Edited by Uhtred

Just now, Uhtred said:

She was also involved in the management of Southampton airport according to the bloke who tends my neighbours garden!!

And Sheffield Airport ... sorry shopping mall, it closed !

• Haha 2

Argh. USE TWO SCANNERS!!!!

Again on Thursday passed through the "worst security experience in the world" 

One doddery old fool forgot to take his belt off and his liquids out of his bag thus held everything up for at least 5 mins.

The whole process stopped just for him because there's only one scanner for bags and people.

Stupid layout with the trays also, one person can need up to 4 trays to fit all their stuff in. 

Really, really piss poor. 

There has got to be some consequences for management here, there have been massive problems since October, and 6 months later the problems are still not fixed.

Just not good enough. Where's the accountability?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Argh. USE TWO SCANNERS!!!!

Again on Thursday passed through the "worst security experience in the world" 

One doddery old fool forgot to take his belt off and his liquids out of his bag thus held everything up for at least 5 mins.

The whole process stopped just for him because there's only one scanner for bags and people.

Stupid layout with the trays also, one person can need up to 4 trays to fit all their stuff in. 

Really, really piss poor. 

There has got to be some consequences for management here, there have been massive problems since October, and 6 months later the problems are still not fixed.

Just not good enough. Where's the accountability?

Accountability? What's that? This is the Isle of Man 'Where You Can' spend as much money as you like and make as bigger balls up as possible and not be held responsible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Accountability? What's that? This is the Isle of Man 'Where You Can' spend as much money as you like and make as bigger balls up as possible and not be held responsible.

At virtually every level....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

At virtually every level....

At literally every level.

• Like 3