Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Mac the Knife

Ronaldsway Airport

31 minutes ago, asitis said:

It is fairly common knowledge that they were audited and found wanting in some areas !

The answer is not to correct what needed correcting to but to overzealously inconvenience everyone in the guise of security.

Intelligent people would be able to use discretion in the application of the rules.

I recently came back through Birmingham and got pulled as they wanted to swab my apple ! .........     absolutely true they removed a Russet apple from my hand luggage and swabbed it !

Perhaps the memo had read "Apple" as in computer LOL !

The problem was that it was a Russet.... that'll larn yer! :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The problem was that it was a Russet.... that'll larn yer! :lol:

Just out of interest, is the new ( now old ) Marconie "golden" radar at the airport working yet, or are we still waiting for it to be sanctioned / signed off by the FAA ?

3 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Just out of interest, is the new ( now old ) Marconie "golden" radar at the airport working yet, or are we still waiting for it to be sanctioned / signed off by the FAA ?

ASITIS....over to you.

34 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Don't mess with the Marconie! (sic)

image.png.ae80fab0579fb1a489bd677544c7236c.png

Working I assume yes it is, certificated I assume no its not. Its all very cloak and dagger when talking about the new (old) radar, little information has ever been forthcoming. I suspect had it been fully certificated there would have been a huge fanfare hence my assumption it is not approved, coupled with the fact the old one which couldn't possibly work beyond was it 2012 ? is still in use.

Its only money !!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, asitis said:

Working I assume yes it is, certificated I assume no its not. Its all very cloak and dagger when talking about the new (old) radar, little information has ever been forthcoming. I suspect had it been fully certificated there would have been a huge fanfare hence my assumption it is not approved, coupled with the fact the old one which couldn't possibly work beyond was it 2012 ? is still in use.

Its only money !!!!

So is it time for a new one yet ( that can be approved / certified )  ?

42 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

So is it time for a new one yet ( that can be approved / certified )  ?

I guess the answer is yes, we chose, apparently, to be a guinea pig for this system being used on an island ! It didn't work ! as I understand it, it is an inward looking array using data from remote installations which presents problems on an island. I am only guessing as like most cock ups here it is kept hush hush !

With certainty the project has not gone as intended !

18 minutes ago, asitis said:

I guess the answer is yes, we chose, apparently, to be a guinea pig for this system being used.....

"New" and "edgy" technology, quoted Mr Gawne when he last stood in Tynwald to make excuses for it, IIRC.

By now I think that could be substituted by "unproven, dodgy Italian crap sold to the gullible". Wonder if Selex are still fixing it FOC?

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Who would certify it?

Someone who had themselves been certified.

7 hours ago, asitis said:

I guess the answer is yes, we chose, apparently, to be a guinea pig for this system being used on an island ! It didn't work ! as I understand it, it is an inward looking array using data from remote installations which presents problems on an island. I am only guessing as like most cock ups here it is kept hush hush !

With certainty the project has not gone as intended !

I thought it was actually sold to 'us' (presumably Reynolds) on the grounds that it was already working on an Island - namely Malta.  The fact that Malta is rather smaller in area and doesn't have great big hills in the middle of it, seems to have slipped their notice.

• Haha 1