Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
quilp

Make Mine a Large One...

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, notwell said:

A 15% reduction in alcohol should see a 15% reduction in the Base price of a measure.

 

you really think so!!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, twinkle said:

you really think so!!.

For 15 minutes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to ruin a good conspiracy story but it is not been driven by the brewery it is the OFT asking interested parties their thoughts on changing the alcohol measures because of the increasing difficulty in sourcing a regular supply of 1/5 gill optics and measuring glasses as it is only the Isle of Man, some private clubs in Scotland and certain areas in the Far East where it is still a legal measure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside of the generally shocking price I'm not sure what it has to do with the OFT? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notwell said:

A 15% reduction in alcohol should see a 15% reduction in the Base price of a measure.

 

And a 15% reduction in crime? :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notwell, the OFT are involved because the Trading Standards are part of OFT and they are responsible for the measuring and stamping of all 1/5 gill optics and measures in use in pubs,clubs and restaurants. They cannot be approved or stamped in the UK because 1/5 gill is not a legal measure over there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lezayre said:

Notwell, the OFT are involved because the Trading Standards are part of OFT and they are responsible for the measuring and stamping of all 1/5 gill optics and measures in use in pubs,clubs and restaurants. They cannot be approved or stamped in the UK because 1/5 gill is not a legal measure over there.

 

So if they have to start procuring UK standardised optics for the local market,  rather than approving and stamping the current "specialised" kit, gracious me, we could do away with a whole raft of Trading Standards positions then?

I have visions of a line of OFT gnomes at a bench all measuring and carefully stamping "IoM Only" pub optics. Since forever. A bit like Silverdale grotto used to be. All on exceptional terms and pensions, naturally. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So if they have to start procuring UK standardised optics for the local market,  rather than approving and stamping the current "specialised" kit, gracious me, we could do away with a whole raft of Trading Standards positions then?

I have visions of a line of OFT gnomes at a bench all measuring and carefully stamping "IoM Only" pub optics. Since forever. A bit like Silverdale grotto used to be. All on exceptional terms and pensions, naturally. :lol:

As far as I am aware most of them are done by 1 man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, lezayre said:

Notwell, the OFT are involved because the Trading Standards are part of OFT and they are responsible for the measuring and stamping of all 1/5 gill optics and measures in use in pubs,clubs and restaurants. They cannot be approved or stamped in the UK because 1/5 gill is not a legal measure over there.

 

They'd be better employed looking into oil/gas/petrol costs and leave the piddly problems alone...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2017 at 11:09 AM, John Wright said:

It's not the glasses, it's the optics. IoM measures for 80,000 people are more expensive to produce than English, Scots or Irish for bigger markets.

You only buy the optics once, last for years. This is about money pure and simple. But, if we drink less alcohol, less will be sold, and the VAT problem will be so much worse than it already is. Is this a personal favour for a friend ? Got to ask the question. You can buy 30 ml optics on Ebay. Don't seem to be in short supply. This proposal was contained in a report from 2012. It also says pint measures will be reduced to 2/3 pint and 1/3 of a pint. The pubs will be full of old ladies getting their Guiness, doing their knitting and praying for the pub to stay open long enough for them to down it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll be fecking wealthy old ladies if they can afford Guinness....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lezayre said:

it is only the Isle of Man, some private clubs in Scotland and certain areas in the Far East where it is still a legal measure.

So they are available then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

So they are available then.

Of course they are, it's just another case of giving you less for more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×