Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

40 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

When I first moved over here I expected it'd be full of great, homely pubs with roaring fires and a great atmosphere, like some of the pubs in the Lake District. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

They used to be... before the brewery decided we needed yuppy class pubs

• Like 2

The brewery are missing a massive trick really aren't they. At the prices of alcohol these days people want more than just a pint of beer for their significant outlay. They want atmosphere, a nice place to spend an afternoon/evening, a homely feel to the place, somewhere you can walk out after spending the best part of a weekly wage and think you've had a pleasant time. 

Whenever I work away in London I always seek out the same pub in Kensington as if I know I'm getting ripped off for my alcohol I make sure I at least try to enjoy the experience. Leather chesterfield sofas, log fire, friendly bar staff (usually very attractive young ladies) , home-cooked real food and a nice selection on draught. Can't be that hard to grasp can it?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

They used to be... before the brewery decided we needed yuppy class pubs

This is true. Lots had "Dagmar" makeovers, chrome and bling (and price hikes) to appeal to the perceived market that the FS brought, plus the spots like the Dow Jones and the Nikkei Dow.

That's now morphed (if they haven't closed all together) into the bare floorboards, magnolia washed minimalist look that's the current fashion (with the brewery anyway). Precious few open fires left now, sadly.

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

This is true. Lots had "Dagmar" makeovers, chrome and bling (and price hikes) to appeal to the perceived market that the FS brought, plus the spots like the Dow Jones and the Nikkei Dow.

That's now morphed (if they haven't closed all together) into the bare floorboards, magnolia washed minimalist look that's the current fashion (with the brewery anyway). Precious few open fires left now, sadly.

elf and safety mate, elf and safety...:pinch:

3 hours ago, Lxxx said:

When I first moved over here I expected it'd be full of great, homely pubs with roaring fires and a great atmosphere, like some of the pubs in the Lake District. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

Personally I think the island has more of a bar than a pub culture

3 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Albert. PSM. Should satisfy your needs. 

• Like 1