Applebys: Something or other about planes and VAT. CM says Panic!

Declan

I would bet not TSE. The sale of birds is not a "financial service" and therefore of no interest to a Financial Services Authority. If they were involved, I'd be asking why. This would be police or OFT business, most likely police.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, piebaps said:

I would bet not TSE. The sale of birds is not a "financial service" and therefore of no interest to a Financial Services Authority. If they were involved, I'd be asking why. This would be police or OFT business, most likely police.

Time to ask why ...

https://www.iomfsa.im/fsa-news/2017/dec/global-parrots-and-more-wwwglobalparrotsandmorecom/

As I recall the FSA and its predecessor the FSC have usually been the ones which publish warnings about scams where the scammer holds out as being a legit IoM business but is not - typically in cases where the scammer uses an IoM company name, business name, or address, or phone number.

10 hours ago, piebaps said:

Perhaps it was all part of an offshore parrot related collective investment scheme? 

Great news from India. Apparently most of the people mentioned in the Paradise Papers had already disclosed their offshore income and the tax man is scratching his head a bit trying to find grounds to prosecute people on.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/india/i-t-dept-unable-to-make-headway-in-paradise-papers-probe-2478951.html

Another great score for this crack team of data thieves international investigative journalists. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still rumbling around: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jan/23/paradise-papers-appleby-worked-for-fbme-bank-linked-to-terrorist-finance-organised-crime

"The firm at the heart of the Paradise Papers leak provided offshore services to a bank accused of facilitating terrorist financing, transnational organised crime and the Syrian government’s chemical weapons programme.

Appleby represented the Cayman Islands holding company of FBME Bank for at least a year after the US Treasury published an extraordinary roster of allegations against the bank, and acted as its agent for more than a decade beforehand."

Well, I'm shocked....

"Campaigners have paid increasing attention to law firms and registered agents operating in the offshore world in recent years, arguing that it is insufficient for offshore services firms to react only after allegations have been made by governments, campaigners or journalists.

Instead, they argue, the offshore industry has a responsibility to proactively vet both their clients and their clients’ business on an ongoing basis.

“Time after time, we hear registered agents proclaiming their innocence, denying they could have done anything differently and claiming their due diligence processes work just fine. To everyone else it is blindingly obvious that things are not right,”

This could be amusing though:

"Appleby is suing the BBC and The Guardian over the Paradise Papers investigation arguing that none of the articles published were in the public interest. In a statement issued at the time it denied wrongdoing but said it was “not infallible” and always acted quickly to “put things right”.

It has asked the court to permanently ban both media organisations from using its leaked files to investigate its conduct or that of its clients."

So it's "not in the public interest" then - they're having a laugh!

And they "always act quickly" like at least a year after the US treasury fingered their customer FBME Bank - so that's all right then!

The whole farrago stinks to high heaven.....

PK. Your comments here not be taken too seriously, because we have already established that you are dishonest and that you will intentionally misrepresent a situation in order to attempt to mislead others. However:

Cutting through all the spin in that Grauniad acticle, the gist of the matter would seem to be that:

• Appleby acted as the corporate agent of FMBE's holding company (which does not necessarily imply anything more than handling local administrative and compliance matters for a non-trading holding company)
  • Appleby withdrew from that role in December 2016, some 5 months before a US court ruled to allow the US financial authorities to take action against the bank.

Once again then, it looks to me rather like the Guardian is trying to spin something out of not very much substance at all. That seems consistent with the way that the Guardian and the BBC have behaved all along here, risking the (already tarnished) reputations of both organisations.

Edited by Yibble
  • Like 2

I agree with Yibble.  People shouldn't be forced to terminate relationships with clients just because the US Treasury makes an allegation about them.  If the allegation is proven, then that is a different matter.  But the Guardian know their audience (like Richard Murphy does, or Breitbart), so it stirs them up with this sort of nonsense

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh well. I guess two out of three isn't too shabby.

Especially when the third is woody2....

On 1/24/2018 at 1:26 PM, Yibble said:

PK. Your comments here not be taken too seriously, because we have already established that you are dishonest and that you will intentionally misrepresent a situation in order to attempt to mislead others. However:

Cutting through all the spin in that Grauniad acticle, the gist of the matter would seem to be that:

• Appleby acted as the corporate agent of FMBE's holding company (which does not necessarily imply anything more than handling local administrative and compliance matters for a non-trading holding company)
  • Appleby withdrew from that role in December 2016, some 5 months before a US court ruled to allow the US financial authorities to take action against the bank.

Once again then, it looks to me rather like the Guardian is trying to spin something out of not very much substance at all. That seems consistent with the way that the Guardian and the BBC have behaved all along here, risking the (already tarnished) reputations of both organisations.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:43 PM, Tugger said:

I agree with Yibble.  People shouldn't be forced to terminate relationships with clients just because the US Treasury makes an allegation about them.  If the allegation is proven, then that is a different matter.  But the Guardian know their audience (like Richard Murphy does, or Breitbart), so it stirs them up with this sort of nonsense

On 1/24/2018 at 5:43 PM, Tugger said:

It’s the classic Russian tactic too. Slam a false tax claim or claim of corruption against them then get the courts to destroy them. In many cases the person has done nothing wrong other than piss off the wrong people.