Age Concern 'shocked' at Meals on Wheels funding blow

Amadeus

15 hours ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

I’m sure half of the amount paid to the charity probably counted as a charitable donation. Shame were cost cutting from charity providers first rather than cancelling commercial contracts. 

This was a commercial contract. Age Concern were a contracted distributor, Govt must feel that they can get the same job done cheaper by another distributor

Edited by The Duck of Atholl

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

This was a commercial contract. Age Concern were a contracted distributor, Govt must feel that they can get the same job done cheaper by another distributor

If people stopped for a second and read the real story Duck they would realise it is just that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

If people stopped for a second and read the real story Duck they would realise it is just that.

Whereas if you'd actually stopped and read my comment on the previous page and the linked DHSC press release, you'd have realised that it is nothing of the sort.  There is no tender process and no plan to provide an alternative, just a vague promise that they might try to do something.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Whereas if you'd actually stopped and read my comment on the previous page and the linked DHSC press release, you'd have realised that it is nothing of the sort.  There is no tender process and no plan to provide an alternative, just a vague promise that they might try to do something.

And if you had read it properly, this was never a free meals service, they were paid for by the recipients. Accordingly, there are other meal providers out there (allegedly) Do you know what the current meal costs from Age Concern compared to other providers?

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

And if you had read it properly, this was never a free meals service, they were paid for by the recipients. Accordingly, there are other meal providers out there (allegedly) Do you know what the current meal costs from Age Concern compared to other providers?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

I didn't say that it was a free service, just that I could find no evidence of other providers offering the same service.  In which case I am obviously unable to do the price comparisons you demand.  Please let us know the fruits of your own researches.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I didn't say that it was a free service, just that I could find no evidence of other providers offering the same service.  In which case I am obviously unable to do the price comparisons you demand.  Please let us know the fruits of your own researches.

I think there are other providers but I think the charge for delivery (a modest amount to cover petrol etc) is met by the meal recipient. 

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

ask beecroft and couch , as they both mentioned alternative providers they must know who they are.

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think there are other providers but I think the charge for delivery (a modest amount to cover petrol etc) is met by the meal recipient. 

Tesco will deliver meals to your door.  There is a UK outfit called Wiltshire Farm Foods that my nan uses (good grub).  I think that Jack Frost or Robinsons might do something similar too, although I'm not sure.

Meals on wheels drops off chilled nosh from the hospital and the old folks have to get it ready by themselves.  Don't imagine it is a piping hot plate of chips, cheese and gravy.

• Like 1