Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Neil Down

This is a joke...surely

1 minute ago, Tarne said:

It's pretty simple - run the core routes that make money, drop the pointless routes - if you live out in the sticks, well, tough titties. But we've been over this before and it ain't gonna happen

When the cost of all these brand new buses is considered, along with the wage bill, I doubt many routes are making a great profit.

People living out in the sticks still deserve to have a public transport service, same as those of us who live in towns, surely ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

People living out in the sticks still deserve to have a public transport service, same as those of us who live in towns, surely ?

Why?

Just now, Tarne said:

Why?

It's a taxpayer funded service, not a business. we should all have access to that service. In my opinion, anyway.

Ah I see, I'm coming from the "You can't expect the same level of service in the sticks for anything, but you do get some seclusion and privacy" way of thinking. 

I'm a bit annoyed that Bus Vannin didn't fully support the excellent bus-man.com app. I don't use the buses much but when I do/did this app was excellent.

Anyone know the story behind all this?

1607964995___busapp.thumb.jpg.dd255b259d5c3fe2253fc2fa9fb5c22a.jpg

8 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I'm a bit annoyed that Bus Vannin didn't fully support the excellent bus-man.com app. I don't use the buses much but when I do/did this app was excellent.

Anyone know the story behind all this?

1607964995___busapp.thumb.jpg.dd255b259d5c3fe2253fc2fa9fb5c22a.jpg

Me too...I posted on this a couple of months ago having found the above page when I tried to use it. A few responses indicated that it had shut down some time ago.

I liked that app. Helped me work out if I had time for another pint....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Me too...I posted on this a couple of months ago having found the above page when I tried to use it. A few responses indicated that it had shut down some time ago.

I liked that app. Helped me work out if I had time for another pint....

It would appear that the slimy Longtail was shafting the guy who ran this ap. I found it to be very useful up until the time Longtail fucked him over

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neil Down said:

It would appear that the slimy Longtail was shafting the guy who ran this ap. I found it to be very useful up until the time Longtail fucked him over

well we can't have someone doing a better job of informing the public than the official outlet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The real scandal is that they funded this useless ap in the first place rather than using an off the shelf solution. 

Posted (edited)

I've never used the app, nor ever thought to look it up in the app store. Surely it's not that difficult to read a bus timetable?

Edited by Rushen Spy

1 minute ago, Rushen Spy said:

I've never used the app, nor ever thought to look it up in the app store. Surely it's not that difficult to read a bus timetable?

The best part of the app was real-time information on where the buses were. 

They don’t always run to timetable 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kevster said:

They don’t run to timetable 

Corrected

The App was brilliant. I live near to bus stops and rather than sit around at a bus stop I can watch the bus making its progress from home before I make my exit.

The Promenade, by its nature is notorious for buses not being on time.

Clearly no MHK uses buses (apart from SHK, I wonder what Ju Ju thinks?) otherwise there wouyld have been pressure to keep the App going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevster said:

They don’t always run to timetable 

I was a bit sceptical about it at first, but you did see a lot of people using it at bus stops, so it did get some use.  I'm not sure the replacement is as good or popular and it would be interesting to see the respective costs for the old and the new systems.

Has Longworth really ordered 53 new minibuses?  Is everyone in Bride going to get their own personal chauffeur or something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It attempted to solve a problem that didn't need solving - knowing where every bus on the island was at that moment. Something I've never needed as a bus passenger. It did this in a buggy and resource heavy manner. It might have had some use if it told you in which direction the bus was travelling. It didn't do what it was supposed to do which is let you plan journeys that involve a change. Which is the quickest bus from Port Erin to Leazyre - is it best to get the Ramsey or Peel bus in Douglas (it depends on the timetable)? BusMann would need about five different enquiries which would use half your battery because it involved needlessly tracking every bus on the island.