Sure are advertising their superfast package as 100+ now, up from 80, and I was wondering if any sure users on this package had seen over 81 on speedtest.net?

(It will only be people fairly close to a green fibre cabinet that will be able to get this)

Our Sync Speed has gone up to about 110 Mb, the 100Mb is a theoretical maximum. All ISP's are going from 80 to 100Mb, MT have advertised the new services as well:

https://www.manxtelecom.com/personal/internet/broadband/new-broadband-services-personal

Thanks, yes I saw that I am synced at over 100 now as well but on throughput tests on speedtest (yes not scientific) performed at various times of the day and night I hit a definite ceiling of 80 hence the question.

I see MT say the 4th of December, but Sure say its live now,

Edited by bilbo

I am guessing official launch date is 4th Dec and Sure have just updated website a bit early. I think it was supposed to launch earlier but MT have delayed it for a few months

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, bilbo said:

@Smeagle It was this, obviously MT were enforcing the limit until they officially released upto 100 which the Sure helpdesk were unaware of. Seeing 94 down now which is nice.

?

Edited by dilligaf

We see much more now as well so it looks like the official launch was 4th Dec, nice at no extra charge :-)

• 1 month later...

I am not sure this is as good as thought at first glance.

Single thread performance does not seem great, eg if I have a have a single connection to a server and am downloading a single file the connection seems capped to  less that half of the theoretical maximum speed. I can work around this using a download manager however which can split the download up.

Speedtest.net gives a good result because it uses multiple threads / connections.

The speedtest at thinkbroadband shows single thread performance.

Still very good for torrenting those Linux ditros however.

Edited by bilbo

I would guess that is less likely to be caused by something within the broadband network or the broadband connection itself.

Most web/content servers have a rudimentary setting to limit a single connection to ‘x’, which is why most browsers launch multiple connections (with the exception of a download).

The exception of course is if the ISP has implemented some form of traffic management (I.e. shaping) but usually that’s focused on the aggregate throughput rather than a single connection.

I’m not suggesting you’re wrong, merely going from one DSL service to a higher one wouldn’t change that - unless you’re hitting a server limit (x Mbps) or a traffic policy is being applied.

FTP download of a Linux distro from a fast mirror would be a good test.

Edited by joeyconcrete