Where's Allan Bell

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

outrageous slander

With respect.....it's that standard of judgement in this and a number of other issues that have left this Island in the position it now finds itself in. With the island itself and virtually every man,

Why on earth would any politician, serving or not, be beyond criticism? His term of office, his oversight, decision-making and policies still resound today. The Bell legacy. To coin the much-used and

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Swordfish said:

For me it’s too long ago now. I’m interested in current corruption and lies not ones that might have allegedly happened 20 years ago. 

No.

As an Island, a veritable nation indeed, we need to know where we have been to know where we are going (and who done it)

To be fair, no place for  'draw_a_line_under_it' namby-pambyism

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4
23 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

For me it’s too long ago now. I’m interested in current corruption and lies not ones that might have allegedly happened 20 years ago. 

With respect.....it's that standard of judgement in this and a number of other issues that have left this Island in the position it now finds itself in. With the island itself and virtually every man, woman and child saddled with public debt for years, if not generations, to come.

Those who made those judgements at the time, including AB, now enjoy lucrative retirement at those same taxpayer's expense with no questions asked. Given the circumstances, IMHO, those questions should remain.

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

With respect.....it's that standard of judgement in this and a number of other issues that have left this Island in the position it now finds itself in. With the island itself and virtually every man, woman and child saddled with public debt for years, if not generations, to come.

Those who made those judgements at the time, including AB, now enjoy lucrative retirement at those same taxpayer's expense with no questions asked. Given the circumstances, IMHO, those questions should remain.

Allen was a far better CM than all the ones I can remember in that post before him.

Funny how people forget all the corruption in the past Governments and the dodgy dealings by the then CMs.

Everything Allen Bell did or said as CM is recorded for anyone to check on. The MM case has been done to death.

As Mulder said in the X files, " the truth is out there". 

I wish Allan a very peaceful and enjoyable retirement and I hope he ignores all the bollocks on here. ( Although I doubt very much he would bother looking in anyway)

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I wish Allan a very peaceful and enjoyable retirement and I hope he ignores all the bollocks on here. ( Although I doubt very much he would bother looking in anyway)

I've been a member for quite a while and I enjoy the banter, thanks for the kind words.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Allen was a far better CM than all the ones I can remember in that post before him.

Funny how people forget all the corruption in the past Governments and the dodgy dealings by the then CMs.

Everything Allen Bell did or said as CM is recorded for anyone to check on. The MM case has been done to death.

As Mulder said in the X files, " the truth is out there". 

Mount Murray...cough, cough...

I saw him this week shopping in M&S as he invariably hypocritically did when he was CM and exhorting the populace to shop local and support local businesses. 

Bell was a very good politician. Generally he could address an audience, face the press and answer questions in a very smooth manner and make it appear as if he had addressed issues or said something relevant but actually had really said nothing at all if you analysed the contents of his speech or answers.  That is a useful skill in a politician and not one the current CM has. Basically he was a good PR guy and public face who could work a room.

He was not quite Teflon coated but he appeared to be able to see when tough matters were coming his way and swiftly side step. When the VAT cut was first announced and he was treasury minister he very quickly managed the CM at the time to form DED which had the "good news" elements of the treasury job and move into it. It was therefore left to his successor as Treasury Minister, Anne Craine to have to start dealing with the problems arising whilst he could take credit for any good news. Similarly as CM he left his hench man Eddie Teare to be bearer of bad tidings.

Purely as a PR politician and looking after his own neck and reputation Bell was therefore very good and I agree that he was probably the best of those that I can remember. Certainly since Miles Walker.

Where Bell was woeful was actually addressing and dealing with the difficult issues. These he kept having kicked down the line rather than dealing with at the time so yes he avoided the negative publicity and protected his personal reputation but not dealing with the Govt Deficit, pension issues etc he only exacerbated the problems for the current administration. Remember it is nearly 9 years since the first VAT cut announcement and Bell held the no.1 or No.2 position in Govt for 8 of those years all he did was kick the issues into the long grass so he could get out and leave for somebody else to deal with.

In summary Bell was a bloody good politician. However as CM or minster who needed to address and deal with difficult and complex issues he was pretty disastrous for the Island  and just stored up problems for those who followed him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4