Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
fatshaft

Alfa 156 - Opinions?

Thinking of buying a new set of wheels. Getting a great deal on an Alfa 156 Veloce JTD.

Anyone got some good/ bad views or experience with them? I've always been a blue oval boy, but the Alfa looks xxxx hot. (obviously I dont want any German rubbish, so not considering an overpriced Beemer) :lol:

Two things that make an Alfa great; styling and the noise the engine makes.

Two things that makes an Alfa suck; reliability and bodywork.

Although I do believe they have improved on the negative aspects somewhat in recent years.

Imho, if you can live with the odd glitch, the benefits will far outweigh the drawbacks. At the very least, take it for a decent test drive and enjoy.

:)

What Car? Road Test here.

post-72-1121294502_thumb.jpg

= phwoar

(obviously I dont want any German rubbish, so not considering an overpriced Beemer) :lol:

Cough..Cough.. German rubbish?!? :huh:

My 21 year old "German Rubbish" Mercedes 230E looks and drives better than any new Italian crap - they're good at food, not at cars (Lamborghini being an exception, as Audi owns them...)

The only thing I like on Alfas is the sound - drove one of the bigger ones with the 2.5 engine once, and the sound was just great - but that was about it..

If you want a cheap Beemer or Merc, order them straight from the factory in Germany - even RHD's can be ordered straight from the manufacturer, and you get a tour of the factory when you pick it up, so you can admire the perfection and efficiency put into the production of your new car - just beautiful to watch...

Italians and good cars - that's like the French and military victories... :rolleyes:

But isn't the JTD a diesel? If so, whatever else the car has going for it, it will still make your hands smell when you refuel it, and sound like a black cab at the traffic lights.

If it's a petrol engine I agree entirely with Mission.

Amadeus - great post and obviously completely unbiased by regional Bavarian pride! I've had German cars, and you're right about build quality - they're superbly nailed together. Last year I bought a modern Jag, but I still have my old Merc 300CE growing weeds on the driveway, and I have to say it's a much more solidly engineered car. But like all the German cars I've ever had, it lacks soul or driver involvement.

Italians are more passionate about their cars - so I'd probably go for an Alfa over a BMW every time nowadays (although I've never actually owned one I've driven a few and think they're lovely).

But isn't the JTD a diesel? If so, whatever else the car has going for it, it will still make your hands smell when you refuel it, and sound like a black cab at the traffic lights.

Yep, Bavarian pride it is! Born and raised 60km south of Munich, right in the Alps..

As to modern Diesel cars: Don't think they really sound like Diesels anymore - maybe on a cold winter morning for a few minutes, but that's it...

The times when we started out old 300TD Merc at home and the whole neighbourhood dissapeared under a cloud of black smoke are long gone...the smell on your hands will always be there, though..

P.S.: That old Merc of yours wouldn't happen to be in roadworthy condition and for sale by any chance? Always space for one more in the collection...

..the smell on your hands will always be there, though..

I always use those throwaway gloves that fuel stations provide

Thinking of buying a new set of wheels. Getting a great deal on an Alfa 156 Veloce JTD.

Anyone got some good/ bad views or experience with them? I've always been a blue oval boy, but the Alfa looks xxxx hot. (obviously I dont want any German rubbish, so not considering an overpriced Beemer) :lol:

I had the 2.5 V6 for about 3 years. Great looking car, great sounding engine on V6. The styling of the car puts BMW to shame.

The car I had developed problems in it's 3rd year. Mainly rattles, and things generally coming loose. I had 2 shock absorbers replaced as well. I was actually relieved to see it go, as I think things were about to get worse.

I believe the diesels are good engines on Alfa’s. The reliability of Alfa’s could be an issue for you.

Edited by Rab

Amadeus - yep, she's still for sale. And the link kindly provided by The Old Git still works and brought back happy memories.

I was thinking of asking a dealer to sell her for me, so would even take a chip on the price after all this time (I HATE trying to sell cars and have been lazy!).

Thing to do is take a look (we're in Douglas), have a decent drive around and then kick me in the goolies with a heartbreaking bid. At which point the deal depends on how skint I am...

I still hate diesels in cars. Drove a couple of turbo-diesels recently, and whilst they sip paraffin, have a mountain of torque and are perfectly quiet on the move, there's something...just...not quite right about them (IMO)!

personnally i think you would be better off with this Car

just a thought! :D

Yeah - but with all due respect Survivor - that's a basic repmobile with a mildly warmed-up engine, stamped out of tinfoil and dressed in plastics rejected by Fisher Price.

Mine's a modern Teutonic classic that's been craftsman-hewn from billets of solid steel, with engine tolerances to a millionth of a gnat's pube, and with a flawless hide interior and automatic accoutrements AND a timeless elegance that wouldn't be out of place on Rodeo Drive. Driven by Bobby Ewing in a big hat and a pink shirt...and it takes a REAL man to wear pink...

So your 90's Cortina motorway hack can hardly compete, can it? And anyway, he asked me first, you antipodean pitch-queerer!

Edited to add: Actually, I fancy a summer ragtop or something small and zippy if anyone fancies a swap*.

* This offer is regrettably not open to ManxPower members...

Edited by Stu Peters

A family member had the 2.5 V6 for about 3yrs, but as Rab says, this one developed problems as well. The bodywork was weak, especially on the rear corners, so if it got clouted by some idiot with a trolley, it was near impossible to get it back to the right shape again.

Electrical faults are supposed to be quite common problems with the 156, we had problems with ours, something was up with the ignition/starter motor system and it took a couple of goes to get it right. Nice car though and if looks could kill...we'd all be dead...

Yeah - but with all due respect Survivor - that's a basic repmobile with a mildly warmed-up engine, stamped out of tinfoil and dressed in plastics rejected by Fisher Price.

Thanks - that should sell it now!! :blink:

Mine's a modern Teutonic classic that's been craftsman-hewn from billets of solid steel, with engine tolerances to a millionth of a gnat's pube, and with a flawless hide interior and automatic accoutrements AND a timeless elegance that wouldn't be out of place on Rodeo Drive. Driven by Bobby Ewing in a big hat and a pink shirt...and it takes a REAL man to wear pink...

ROFL :D - Stu, you wouldn't happen to be German? Couldn't have written that better myself..

Survivor: No offence, Ford are nice cars (as long as I don't have to drive one...), but a Mondeo will NEVER be able to compete with an old Merc - the new ones are a different matter, but all the old models are simply unrivalled in quality and reliability - real cars, made from solid "Krupp Stahl" and built to last for eternity...

Our old 300TD had a 3 liter Diesel engine with 75 BHP - not very fast, but it lasted for absolute ages without any problems whatsoever - and the one I have at the moment is over 20 years old and still makes less noise on the inside than a new Rover, even on the pothole infested roads of the IOM - says a lot about quality, doesn't it?

I sincerely hope you can sell it for a good price, though - had a look at your pictures and am pretty sure it would appeal to a lot of people - and moving to Oz must cost a bit...

moving to Oz must cost a bit...

Are you trying to upset me any further????!!! Oz??????!!!!! Please note that it is NZ i am moving to - a completely different country. Now, I can forgive the ford comments (i'm a Audi fan to be honest, ideal car A4 Cabriolet - i'm a girl ok!), and I can bypass the "laugh at the little girlie" comments, -but to confuse me with an Aussie - well, it's practically unforgivable! :o