New Rules

ans

Probably better to keep things the way they are, for now. That's last resort stuff.

Couldn't agree more, Amadeus, definitely a place for MF in the scrum. You might be right about invigoration. One thing the publicity has done is perhaps stir a little interest and a new poster or three. Have the viewing figures changed any, I wonder? 

Much gloating about this on Vader's Facefart page, obviously.

I've always found it amusing that he chose the name Vader, given the only similarity he shares with the eponymous villain is that they both have to wear a helmet to go about their daily business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Vader has a soul mate in Buster as Buster doesn't seem to have anything nice to say about manxforums either. They suck up his bs over there (or get posts deleted or banned) whereas I think he found Manxforums was a bit too hot for his comfort.

And what is it with certain woman he fall for ex-cons?

On another note, I think 3fm have made themselves look foolish/amateurish by making a news report out of this. I suppose it is no different than Manx Radio (?) making a news report out of Vader's Facebook site and trolls, the other day month*

*actually June. Doesn't time fly: Facebook group clamps down on trolls

Edited by gettafa

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

Much gloating about this on Vader's Facefart page, obviously.

I'm not sure why, I don't see this being any different than them making themselves a closed group?

We're different entities and have different goals, both probably have a place in the grand scheme of things and both have experienced their own problems with less than well behaved users and dealt with them in different ways.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ans said:

I'm not sure why, I don't see this being any different than them making themselves a closed group?

We're different entities and have different goals, both probably have a place in the grand scheme of things and both have experienced their own problems with less than well behaved users and dealt with them in different ways.

Logic isn't important when you're trying to gloat :)

13 hours ago, Tarne said:

Actually rather than all this over 1 person, are we not going about it the wrong way? They are harassing people online and in real life. That's what harassment laws are for surely? 

It's better to try and avoid any escalation, really. Ain't nobody got time for that - and there really shouldn't be any need.

What really bewilders me is how some people think, and how much importance they place on a place like MF. It's a small local forum, not the center of the world. In the great scheme of things, nothing we say or do here really matters very much. Sure, we've done some things over the years, broke the odd story and maybe influenced a few issues in some (mostly small) ways, but it's still nothing to get upset or obsessed about. Take a deep breath, count to ten, and then remember that there's a real world out there.

Equally, it amuses me to no end when some people think we have an 'agenda' or some secret policies and plans that we work out in our Evil Mod HQ (think of it like Hugo Drax' liar in Moonraker, but with better coffee as it's near Stu's place). Here, we apparently sit every day around a big boardroom table and discuss what fiendish news and messages we shall send out this week, and which members of the great unwashed we shall suppress with censorship and bans, all while being assisted by IOMG minions, MHKs, and other dark figures whose names I am not allowed to say. 

I mean, Jesus, really? Do people really think we'd have time for that? Or any reason or motivation for it? The reality is a lot less exciting I'm afraid. Some people just have too much imagination and/or place too much importance on their own existence and the influence they think they have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So if closing new registrations seems to be cutting out some of the dross, it would suggest to me a mandatory one-off subscription on joining might be the minimum requirement. But this has problems too surely?  Or not? Presumably we would all have to rejoin to meet those requirements. It could be 50p or £5, otherwise we might price people out, but how can such a scheme be managed to protect people's bank data, whilst at the same time assessing whether someone is still setting up multiple accounts? 50p a go to wind people up would be a cheap nights entertainment for some idiots. There'll no doubt be GDPR issues too? And there goes anonimity too.

Maybe the better solution is to mentor more Mods, revisit the T&Cs and enforce them...but a ban has to be the decision of say at least 3 Mods?

Any contact made outside of MF to a Mod ...instant ban, again checked by other Mods. One new bad Mod acting alone banning could cause problems IMO.

To me, whatever they turn out to be, the solutions now point more to self-policing rather than enforced subscription.

• ans unpinned and locked this topic