US scientists say we lead the way on tackling beach waste...

52 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Bill and his team are doing a service that very few people would do. Thereby lies the problem. We were taught to pick our rubbish up and take it home with us. If people adhered to that then Bill and his team would soon be redundant...:thumbsup:

Are you Uncle Bulgaria? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well said, dilli. Bill and his group are superb and a credit to the Island. If someone went round from door to door giving tenners away the miserable feckers on here would find something to complain a

Well I for one think Bill Dale has done and is doing a fantastic job of cleaning our beaches of OUR rubbish. I thank every single person who has helped too, as it isn't the most pleasant of jobs

No, just of an age where manners came naturally and we also considered others...

There's no excuse for dropping litter at all anywhere, there are loads of bins on the island, some in some pretty obscure places. And if you can't find a bin take your crap with you. Although teaching your kids this is a nuisance, my youngest in the absence of a bin usually involves him shoving his rubbish in my pockets, normally resulting in me getting melted chocolate and ice cream on my hands from a cornet to wrapper or similar reaching for my car keys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can I mention that me and my brother were cleaning Cornaa beach and the road leading down to it before Beach Buddies even existed, and then they came along, stuck some plastic bins there that were never actually emptied  and took the credit for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Well I for one think Bill Dale has done and is doing a fantastic job of cleaning our beaches of OUR rubbish.

I thank every single person who has helped too, as it isn't the most pleasant of jobs as James just pointed out.

Well Done all. You deserve this accolade.:):)

well I'm certainly no BD fan but fair play to him and his buddies they are doing sterling work.

• Like 1

Been on a few beach cleans and have to say Bill has done a brilliant job and if he hadn’t have bothered and got of his backside to do something about the litter on our beaches god knows how many tons of crap would have gathered along our shoreline also well done to anyone who has turned up and helped. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Mr Bear said:

Can I mention that me and my brother were cleaning Cornaa beach and the road leading down to it before Beach Buddies even existed, and then they came along, stuck some plastic bins there that were never actually emptied  and took the credit for it.

I think you'll find most of us will pick up others people's litter and carry it to a bin.

You and your bro keeping the road and beach tidy is the least that you can do to repay us for allowing you to come and live here. :)

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, Mr Bear said:

You can but Beach Bummers is a cult now. You can’t possibly say anything against them as they’re the most saintly people to have ever picked up a used jonnie with a pair of tweezers.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, localyokel said:

You can but Beach Bummers is a cult now. You can’t possibly say anything against them as they’re the most saintly people to have ever picked up a used jonnie with a pair of tweezers.  

Is that how you have to put them on ?:lol:

Mr Bear: I too have been picking up rubbish from the beaches (and the streets) for many years. Doesn't mean that Beach Buddies are any less altruistic and well done to them. Good for you and your brother for bothering as well, but Beach Buddies have made this into an issue that we're all aware of and encouraged others to join in and do their bit too. Localyokel you're just a waste of air and seem to be simply green with envy! Did someone else get a free trip to America? Do people have nothing but praise for an idea that someone else came up with? :D

I know next to nothing about the organisation, but it appears that the organisers have done a bit more than just picking up the odd bit of plastic on their regular walk route (which is to be praised all the same). By turning that idea in to something bigger - with the installation of bins etc they've made the process easier for others, and making things easier is always the key to better engagement. I think that's the only key difference really - they're putting in slightly more effort in order to lower the effort threshold for others and so increase engagement, and are being praised for doing so. On the one I attended they were also then responsible for sorting through everything we brought back to the trailer for recycling, which again makes the process easier for the initial volunteer - how many bags of other people's dog poo is a trip to the U.S. worth? None of that takes away from people who do the same off their own bat and never receive any acknowledgement, but for some reason people do seem to feel aggrieved about it and I know they have apparently been the target for some mindless vandalism. Presumably people would be less bothered if the organisation was run entirely anonymously which is a bit of sad reflection on human nature I think - but isn't really surprising. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

Mr Bear: I too have been picking up rubbish from the beaches (and the streets) for many years. Doesn't mean that Beach Buddies are any less altruistic and well done to them. Good for you and your brother for bothering as well, but Beach Buddies have made this into an issue that we're all aware of and encouraged others to join in and do their bit too. Localyokel you're just a waste of air and seem to be simply green with envy! Did someone else get a free trip to America? Do people have nothing but praise for an idea that someone else came up with? :D

he didn't come up with the idea through:lol: more fraud on the rock......

6 hours ago, James Hampton said:

By turning that idea in to something bigger - with the installation of bins etc they've made the process easier for others, and making things easier is always the key to better engagement.

But you can't put anything in those bins because there's a sign saying for Beach Buddies only. 

And they're an eyesore. What's worse a giant fluorescent bin next to the road in Spaldrick or a chocolate wrapper 50 feet below on a barely used beach? 

• Like 1