UK Budget - any impact on the IOM?

localyokel

I still get confused when they make reference to May and Hammond’s first budget as I can’t help thinking that they’re referring to James May and Richard Hammond and were in for some sort of joke Top Gear budget. 

So what do we think will be announced today and is anything likely to adversely affect the IOM? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, localyokel said:

I still get confused when they make reference to May and Hammond’s first budget as I can’t help thinking that they’re referring to James May and Richard Hammond and were in for some sort of joke Top Gear budget. 

So what do we think will be announced today and is anything likely to adversely affect the IOM? 

Duties on booze and fuel will affect here

Is there still an almighty piss-up at one of the Athol Street advocates? [correction: accountants]

It might explain why The Speaker, ever keen for a shindig, was keen to finish the Tynwald business late last night rather than adjourn and finish the business today.

I suppose this year the Isle of Man is more likely than ever to get a mention?

A few years ago the budget day party on Athol Street (Tynwald Members invited, of course, what's the point in having your own government if it isn't one you actually own?) made the front page of the Isle of Man newspaper. One of the MHKs, more used to brown ale down the Manx Legion (can you guess who it is yet?) than fine port and brandy, got pissed and started insulting some bint, who turned out to be the wife of one of the Street's finest. There were writs threatened left rigfht and centre.

Ah budget day.....

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Is there still an almighty piss-up at one of the Athol Street advocates?

It might explain why The Speaker, ever keen for a shindig, was keen to finish the Tynwald business late last night rather than adjourn and finish the business today.

A few years ago the budget day party on Athol Street (Tynwald Members invited, of course, what's the point in having your own government if it isn't one you actually own?) made the front page of the Isle of Man newspaper. One of the MHKs, more used to brown ale down the Manx Legion (can you guess who it is yet?) than fine port and brandy, got pissed and started insulting some bint, who turned out to be the wife of one of the Street's finest. There were writs threatened left rigfht and centre.

Ah budget day.....

Was that the incident that "involved the language of the lower decks", as reported....? :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Is there still an almighty piss-up at one of the Athol Street advocates?

Ah budget day.....

Are you confusing advocates partying on budget day with accountancy company PKF who always had the biggest pissup I've ever seen in athol st on budget day, and, yes one would always see the politicos snouts quaffing the finest wines and brandy with their canapes. 

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Just admit you so dearly want to see an unmitigated disaster in Brexit. :lol:

It's clearly an unmitigated disaster. Anyone can see that and it was always obvious. But I don't believe that is what anyone wants (apart maybe from Putin).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, twinkle said:

Are you confusing advocates partying on budget day with accountancy company PKF who always had the biggest pissup I've ever seen in athol st on budget day, and, yes one would always see the politicos snouts quaffing the finest wines and brandy with their canapes. 

Yes I am. Thanks for the correction.

It's the annual piss-up down that way. I have the report somewhere, but I think it was an advocate's Mrs that got the seaman's, (or was it scaffolder's?) language.

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 1