Home Automation

maynragh

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Reading your romantic pastimes, I'd guess a light switch is the only switch you will get your fingers on.

I had to look up what a "switch" was in sexual terms. "A person who vaccilates between dominant and submissive roles within sexual relations" - Yeah, I'm not into that kinky stuff dude.

2 hours ago, Tarne said:
12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Reading your romantic pastimes, I'd guess a light switch is the only switch you will get your fingers on.

I had to look up what a "switch" was in sexual terms. "A person who vaccilates between dominant and submissive roles within sexual relations" - Yeah, I'm not into that kinky stuff dude.

Not what I was referring to at all. Think again.

On 04/12/2017 at 11:48 AM, guzzi said:

Phillips Hue lights have all the switching gubbins internal.  You switch them on at the wall, and leave them on. They come with a Hue bridge to act like a wireless base, and you connect that to your router. Alexa will talk to the Hue bridge and control all the Hue lights individually.  Easy to set up, you just have to name the lights so you can identify them to Alexa, group names are useful e.g.'living room' and she'll turn them all on, dim them.or set them to a pretty colour of your choosing.

I've looked at the Hue Lights, problem is some of my rooms have numerous GU10 LED's in the ceiling so that wont work. I have thought of fitting wi-fi dimmer switches as most will work with the Echo, but then I would need to change most of my LED lamps as the majority aren't dimmer compatible.

20 hours ago, Katman said:

I've looked at the Hue Lights, problem is some of my rooms have numerous GU10 LED's in the ceiling so that wont work. I have thought of fitting wi-fi dimmer switches as most will work with the Echo, but then I would need to change most of my LED lamps as the majority aren't dimmer compatible.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Ambiance-Dimmable-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B01N2HM4Y9?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01N2HM4Y9

Expensive, though, if you have lots.

I've been doing home automation for a few years now, slowly building up my addiction as and when I can afford it.

I have:

• A Smartthings hub, using various sensors to automate lights and heating. 
  • Fibaro Dimmer 2 modules behind my light switches to control my lights. This way you can still use the switch without affecting any automation.
  • Z-wave plug in switches I use to control the lamps, and Christmas lights. I use a second switch connected to the Fibaro Dimmer 2 to control the lamps from the standard light switch.
  • Fibaro RGBW modules controlling the LED strip lights in my kitchen.
  • Multiple Amazon Echo/Dots around the house to control lights and heating by voice.
  • Honeywell EvoHome thermostat which has wireless radiator valves so I can control the temperature in each room. I've integrated it with Smartthings so the heating goes in to away mode if we all leave the house, and resumes when we come back.
  • Harmony Hub, that combines all my remote controls in to one to control my TV, Blu-ray, AV receiver etc. There is an Alexa skill so I can control these devices by voice. It also integrates with Smartthings. If I trip my motion sensor at around 5:50am Monday to Friday the lights, TV, and Blu-ray will turn on ready for me to do an exercise DVD.
  • LIFX bulbs in the kids rooms, they can play with the colours, my automations can ensure they get switched off when we leave the house.
  • Sonos integrated with Smartthings for music, notifications, voice and sound alerts.

I've had a play with IFTTT the only useful thing I've set up is if Tesco appears in my google calendar then turn the porch light on.

It's also worth having a look at Yonomi and Stringify to link things together.

I'm happy to show people my set up if anyone is interested in home automation. If you have any questions I might be able to help.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 1:02 AM, guzzi said:

I bought a Samsung home hub, Hue lights, a couple of sockets and various sensors. Lighting works fine, switching off when I leave and on when I return, or when certain doors open or close.  I bought presence sensor that goes on your key fob, but that wasn't really necessary as the hub can use your phone as a presence sensor. Can be controlled by Siri and by Alexa.

It's a bit frustrating that you can't really create routines with any complexity  to run on the hub. It can integrate with tons of products though, cameras, thermostats etc. Cautious recommendation.

If the built in market place or community apps (forums.github) can't do what you want then it is worth learning how to use WebCore https://wiki.webcore.co/ I've set a few up but still trying to get my head around it. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2017 at 11:09 AM, Katman said:

I would love to get some Echo controlled light switches, but UK switches wont work unless they are dimmer switches.

What do you mean by unless they are dimmer switches?

The problem we have in the UK is we don't have neutral wires at the switch. But there are products that work without them.

Lots of people use Lightwaverf https://lightwaverf.com/ 

I use Fibaro Dimmer 2 and if the lights aren't dimmable, there is a parameter in the setting to disable dimming. If using low powered LEDs a bypass might be needed to put a dummy load on the circuit to stop the LEDs flashing or not turning off fully.