Single Resident Record - Is it me?

Galen

A feasibility study into the Single Resident Record is being presented to Tynwald next week (http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/Tynwald%2020162018/2017-GD-0069.pdf )

It makes interesting, if not in parts surprising, findings and recommendations.

However the most telling and  perhaps the most galling, is the 'spin' that the Cabinet Office has put on the trust that IOM residents have on Govt securely storing their information (Q5, p29)

Apparently "31% said they trust Government to securely store their information and effectively control access to it".

That would suggest that 69% DON"T - a rather large number - and surely something Govt should be worried about.

OK I accept that there were only 91 responses to the consultation on which this data came from. However, it was a sufficient sample size for the Cabinet Office to produce a report on and put before our 'great and good' to 'approve the principle' (Item 8, p4  on next week's Tynwald Order paper http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/opqp/2017-PP-0167.pdf ). On the basis that we get the politicians we deserve by using, or not using, our democratic right to vote, by any measure this lack of trust in Govt to secure our data must surely be a clarion call that there is something fundamentally wrong.

If you were a prospective inward investor / employer to Island, the lack of local trust in the Government's ability to securely hold data would not fill you with much confidence.

Perhaps if the Manx residents used the same energy that is deployed in regularly criticising civil servants and public sector workers as though they were all heartless, selfish, non-caring people (of which I accept there are a small minority who display such attitudes and behaviours), and used that energy to positively challenging our elected politicians, what a wonderful place the Isle of Man could be - or is it me?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Galen said:

A feasibility study into the Single Resident Record is being presented to Tynwald next week (http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/Tynwald%2020162018/2017-GD-0069.pdf )

It makes interesting, if not in parts surprising, findings and recommendations.

However the most telling and  perhaps the most galling, is the 'spin' that the Cabinet Office has put on the trust that IOM residents have on Govt securely storing their information (Q5, p29)

Apparently "31% said they trust Government to securely store their information and effectively control access to it".

That would suggest that 69% DON"T - a rather large number - and surely something Govt should be worried about.

OK I accept that there were only 91 responses to the consultation on which this data came from. However, it was a sufficient sample size for the Cabinet Office to produce a report on and put before our 'great and good' to 'approve the principle' (Item 8, p4  on next week's Tynwald Order paper http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/opqp/2017-PP-0167.pdf ). On the basis that we get the politicians we deserve by using, or not using, our democratic right to vote, by any measure this lack of trust in Govt to secure our data must surely be a clarion call that there is something fundamentally wrong.

If you were a prospective inward investor / employer to Island, the lack of local trust in the Government's ability to securely hold data would not fill you with much confidence.

Perhaps if the Manx residents used the same energy that is deployed in regularly criticising civil servants and public sector workers as though they were all heartless, selfish, non-caring people (of which I accept there are a small minority who display such attitudes and behaviours), and used that energy to positively challenging our elected politicians, what a wonderful place the Isle of Man could be - or is it me?

Couldn't agree more. Excellent post. 

• Like 2

There was a public meeting on this down the Legion. The data is 100% perfectly secure. There were people from Government - programmers and that - said so, and Dan Davies too, who is high up in the spin department but used to be a DJ.

It's ok. Don't worry. Computers are very secure and all that these days and the Isle of Man Government has got this sussed and the people who are well paid to say so have said so,

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Galen said:

Isle of Man Government produces a tenacious form of Teflon, which comes with a government salary and pension.

• Haha 2

Someone, perhaps with slight tongue in cheek, at the meeting suggested that if there is a security breach then there should be prison for whoever was responsible (applause), along with the head of department (slight ripple of applause). And the Minister too (laughter and applause).

• Like 1

Yeah, that was why he said it, heh. Currently Data protection half works but the whole thing is a bit silly - just release the data completely open. No data protection to worry about then.  

Everyone has their tax details open, no more gender bias on salaries. So many benefits

• Like 1

One simple bad mistake by a DBA or one recently discovered new vulnerability - and it doesn't matter what your policies on Data Protection say.

When costing this move, I hope they are getting a bulk discount on their 'Dear ..., this incident was unfortunately beyond our control, but you can be assured lessons have been learned.' letter packs.

Most good IT guys have either left government or are trying to get out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

At least you'll be able to see what they've got on your neighbours...when you get cc'ed in on an email to a complete stranger from the tax office. 

This is the Isle of Man

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You laugh but that has actually happened to me from a government Dept reasonably recently. 

This is the Isle of Man

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I wasn't laughing...happened to me.

This is the Isle of Man

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

The data protection is administered by people and people fuck up.

That's all you need to know.

This is the Isle of Man

• Like 1