Single Resident Record - Is it me?

Galen

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Really ? Do you believe in the tooth fairy too.  Think about what you have posted there , then think of all the people who now have access to all your data. Sorry but that is just so naïve.

No I dont believe in the tooth fairy but I know of at least one civil servant scumbag who drinks in a pub I frequent who is quite happy to regale people on a Saturday night about some of the snooping he does on people as he clearly has access to a lot of records. Personally if he doesn’t get beaten up at some stage I would like to see a framework brought in that would wipe the smug smile off his face by fining him, or otherwise dealing with him under the full force of the law for being grossly indiscreet with other people’s data. You seem to have quite a sanguine view of how public ‘servants’ operate. 

8 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

No I dont believe in the tooth fairy but I know of at least one civil servant scumbag who drinks in a pub I frequent who is quite happy to regale people on a Saturday night about some of the snooping he does on people as he clearly has access to a lot of records. Personally if he doesn’t get beaten up at some stage I would like to see a framework brought in that would wipe the smug smile off his face by fining him, or otherwise dealing with him under the full force of the law for being grossly indiscreet with other people’s data. You seem to have quite a sanguine view of how public ‘servants’ operate. 

Use your phone and report him then. Simple Twats like that cause others to be tarred with the same brush and that is not the least bit fair.

If what you say is true, it is you duty to report it,

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Use your phone and report him then. Simple Twats like that cause others to be tarred with the same brush and that is not the least bit fair.

If what you say is true, it is you duty to report it,

Nobody would do anything about it if i did. A gentle conversation would happen from his line manager and promises would be made but nothing would likely happen to change any behaviour. I’m hoping he’ll be binned off via MARS and then we can all have a good laugh as nobody else in the IOM would employ such a thick indiscreet tosser. 

5 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Nobody would do anything about it if i did. A gentle conversation would happen from his line manager and promises would be made but nothing would likely happen to change any behaviour. I’m hoping he’ll be binned off via MARS and then we can all have a good laugh as nobody else in the IOM would employ such a thick indiscreet tosser. 

If you could get it witnessed, then lots could be done as he broken the terms of his employment. People like that

should not be getting MARS, but should have their employment terminated .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

If you could get it witnessed, then lots could be done as he broken the terms of his employment. People like that

should not be getting MARS, but should have their employment terminated .

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I think we need to have a proper legal framework in place to deal with people like that with the full force of the law (fines, custody etc). Not let some soppy line manager slap his wrist and ask him not to do it again. The data commissioner is 100% right in my mind. 

3 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I think we need to have a proper legal framework in place to deal with people like that with the full force of the law (fines, custody etc). Not let some soppy line manager slap his wrist and ask him not to do it again. The data commissioner is 100% right in my mind. 

Just saw this https://www.applebyglobal.com/publication-pdf/guide/guide-to-data-protection-in-the-isle-of-man-(february-2015).pdf

:lol::lol: fucking:lol:

Edited by dilligaf

In my few dealings with Dan Davies he appeared well intended, but in possession of a Cabinet Office Babel Fish. Unfortunately said Bebel Fish software did not appear to be the version that enables Dan, and de facto the 'Cabinet Office', to understand what the public think, want or need.  As a result Dan, apparently oblivious to what is going on around him just chants the latest central mantra; perhaps a 'spin-back' to his pre-DJ job of working in IT with former bank colleagues, Eddy Teare, (ex Treasury)  Mark Lewin (ex Sefton Hotel, now CEO Dept of Enterprise) and Bill Shimmins MHK when they all worked in the Nat West /RBS /IOM Bank group.

If Dan and his current chums acknowledged that the total security of data is an elusive beast that will potentially never be captured, then people might have more respect for a Single Resident Record (SRR). To ignore that IT systems are made by humans and therefore prone to their errors and omissions - no matter how clever the originators of the 'perfect system' believe themselves to be have invented, is a tad pretentious. Though, if you look deep enough in the feasibility document there is a passing acknowledgement of some vulnerabilities of a SRR.

However, while noting the comment by Juan Kerr's of this august forum about the 'Tin foil hat wearers' (which I am not), said 'metallic milliners' should not be derided out of hand. In a democracy they are entitled to their point of view as much as those of us who think differently. While some people are only too happy to post and share every minutiae of their lives online, many do not. Arguably, envisaging where it could all go wrong is not a bad thing until it becomes an obsession. Nor is there security in numbers of people impacted upon as has been seen when banking software goes awry and you can't get your money out of the ATM and your standing orders/ direct debits fail. The fact is computers and software are not fool-proof and are unlikely to ever be and those who are hanging their hats (tin foil or otherwise) on AI (Artificial Intelligence) to solve these problems need to seriously think about who wrote the software that taught the computers to self-learn.

If we stand back and look at the bigger picture, the 'Single Resident Record' is all but the latest manifestation of 'one person-one record' an issue has been around for many years albeit in different contexts. It is already happening in the Island's health system but perhaps not at a pace that some might wish. The merits in health are argued to be easy to understand especially if you were at death's door. I guess there would be few who would be challenging the provenance, governance and sharing of their data if it were going to save their life. The issues appear to be more when some human/s decide that for whatever reason they are going to 'break the rules' be it steal data, inappropriately share data, inject viruses, deploy ransom wear, or what ever.  With luck we might reduce, but probably never stop such instances, irrespective of sanctions. 'Breaking the rules' will always have an attraction for some people, whereas the rest of us just get on and accept that rules exist and try to work within them.

Further, people are 'human after all' and with that comes the attendant frailties which manifest themselves in a myriad of ways. Running in tandem with this are people just not thinking or due to personal or commercial pressures, forgetting. A recent example I was told of was when, allegedly, a local dentist had their database updated and the supplier forgot to make a copy of the original and there was no other backup. The result was the dentist had the latest version of the software but all the patient data from the previous software version was over-written resulting in blank fields. Conspiracy or cock-up? 

Perhaps what is missing in the equation is a sufficient number of politicians who are confident enough to stand up and publicly declare where they see genuine flaws in proposed policy and give tangible, evidence-based reasons. Albeit many of the flaws are undoubtedly unintended but are the consequence of the originator's lazy-thinking combined with a lack of knowledge, experience and understanding. Yes, many of our politicians may claim to have a passion for politics but other than a passion to be re-elected one has to question as to where else that desire lies other than bickering and silly point scoring combined with asking questions that could often be resolved by a phone call or email to the relevant Department rather than raising on the floor of Tynwald. Claiming, as some of our illustrious elected do, that asking parliamentary questions demonstrates to their constituents that they take their concerns seriously, is arguably disingenuous. When people ask politicians questions they are more often than not wanting action, and if this is not possible, a reason why. Putting the question on the floor of the House, takes time and money and as the answer usually comes from the Civil Service anyway, why can our politicians not go to the source in the first place and stop playing games and more importantly, stop wasting tax payers money.

Consequently, with few of our politicians appearing to possess appropriate technical understanding and common sense, the Island will most likely be led by the proverbial nose into a series of IT iterations that will culminate in a version of a compromised (in more ways than one) central database. When it goes wrong, as it inevitably and regretfully will, the time-honoured, honeyed tones will be rolled out once more by Government along the lines of 'Oh, we didn't think that would happen and consequently lessons will be learned'. 

Most likely, this will reacted to by some citizens of this dear rock engaging in incessant hand wringing coupled to cries  for 'heads to roll', pensions to be stopped, people to be sacked etc etc. That is why it is important to read these documents and find the section that occurs in almost every Government document that has ever been produced across the globe, that is invariably controversial but has to be stated and so is buried deep in the literature in the hope it will not be realised until political concurrence is given. On this basis it will be interesting to see if next week, the SRR is given the legs it needs to start running, or whether someone will be brave enough to send it back to the dressing room with the insistence it should do some more track training before considering whether it be aired in a public arena once more.

But perhaps this week's revelation that the amount of money paid to a contractor cannot be fully determined because Manx Utilities  Authority lost the data in a software upgrade in 2012, (http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-10m-paid-to-pipeline-firm/ ) will make people realise just how unreliable Government is in keeping our data, at any level, safe.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Galen said:

In my few dealings with Dan Davies he appeared well intended, but in possession of a Cabinet Office Babel Fish. Unfortunately said Bebel Fish software did not appear to be the version that enables Dan, and de facto the 'Cabinet Office', to understand what the public think, want or need. 

Seems to have a better idea than the tinfoil wearers opposing this. 

The public want joined up, easy to use public services that don't take months and considerable effort to deal with. 

The objectors to the proposal are usual crew of self-styled "civil liberties" campaigners, who have done so much damage to everyday civil liberties on this Island.  

Dan Davies is employed to do a job. If he doesn't do it then no job. Right now that job includes promoting the proposed change to enable a "single resident record" (albeit the reality of implementation will be rather more complex). No point hanging it on Dan, he is just the CS mouthpiece. This debate is the CS vs the Citizen, both sides have strong arguments, we do need the likes of the SRR to help improve Gov't efficiency - but knowledge is power and in return for the additional knowledge which the SRR will provide to the CS about Citizens the Citizens need to see more checks and balances controlling how that power may be (ab)used.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Galen said:

But  perhaps this week's revelation that the amount of money paid to a contractor cannot be fully determined because Manx Utilities  Authority lost the data in a software upgrade in 2012, (http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-10m-paid-to-pipeline-firm/ ) will make people realise just how unreliable Government is in keeping our data, at any level, safe.

I see both sides but I do support this providing there is a strong level of fines and penalties sat behind it. I think a lot of tin hat wearers are out there talking nonsense but I’ve also said above I’ve seen some very iffy instances of how our civil servants are happy to not only pry into information but disclose it to others. As for the MUA to me it’s yet more proof that civil servants can’t be trusted. Software upgrade my arse. Someone probably wanted that data gone and it was gone then blamed on a software upgrade. Just proving my stance that this is a good idea in theory but in practice I would not trust anyone inside government to use this data properly so if we do it we should only do it with an appropriate framework or fines and penalties sitting behind it. 

There was a shit load of money getting thrown around in the Great MEA CAsh Bonanza. From contractors booking time for non-existent staff to expensive equipment used in the construction being gifted, all the way up to Rick Parfitt himself (or whatever his name was).

The day those digital records got lost there would have been an almighty sigh of relief throughout the Island and beyond.

Edited by gettafa