is the mountain road shut?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I honestly don't think I've witnessed anything like yesterday, locally anyway. Schools closed, Govt workers sent home, even shops and businesses were closing early...for a snowfall that a couple of de

I suspect it means that he intends to collect evidence over the 10 years and then analyse it and then discuss the possibility of maybe doing something. But as things have changed by then we just go in

Pragmatism says that if people are going to breach the road closure order anyway, then it would make sense to clear the road and make it more accessible for said people and emergency services- it's no

Posted Images

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Shap and A66 will be fine. May even go up to Tan Hill. I drive in the balkan mountains  and Pyrenees every year. 

Anyone who abandons their car in snow should have it seized and disposed of and be disqualified.

it is solely down to very poor driving technique, not the conditions, when it’s only an inch and there’s no underlying ice.

Ah yes.

On the Pennine Way I pitched up at the Tan Hill Inn when the then landlady was the formidable Margaret Baines.

I sank a couple of pints at the bar while still wearing my rucksack. Margaret and I then had a discussion about another beer and me taking my rucksack off which I declined to do due to the lingering aroma of good honest sweat. In the end we reached a compromise where I could have a third pint as long as I drank it in the shower.....

Stayed in a cottage in Gunnerside last NYE. The Tan Hill Inn under new management seemed to have lost something.

18 minutes ago, paswt said:

Ever tried driving a 'Vito' (rear wheel drive) you'll need a tow on wet grass:lol:

Eta  Sorry John , only just seen your comment about rear wheel drive vehicles:D

I had a MX5 in Switzerland. With normal tyres - no go in snow, with winter tyres - fun, fun, fun.

.......I think one of the problems is lack of experience in snow driving techniques...........I was an HGV recovery driver a long while ago in a place that had lotsa snow and it appeared to me that as far as cars go, front wheel drive or rear wheel drive are not too different, it's technique that's important............I can think of some rear wheel drive cars that are rubbish for grip and similarly some front wheel drive vehicles...........personally I thought  Renault four,(FWD) and Beetle (RWD) were amongst the best although I've only owned four wheel drive since I was 16..............

.....Are some of you mixing up Winter tyres with studded tyres? So called winter tyres are slightly better than summer ones but studded are just fantastic on ice or snow........they are the only tyres to have on ice IMO............

The wide, low profile tyres fitted to many cars these days in the name of traction and cornering in dry or wet conditions are unfortunately the exact opposite of what are required in ice and snow conditions - take a look at any WRC footage from snow-bound rounds and see what they use in such? Bring back thin, hard crossplies.. :lol:

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

front wheel drive or rear wheel drive are not too different

Fairly certain that rear wheel drive and the weight of the engine in the back will get you up a hill better in snow. That's my experience anyhow.

• Like 1

Years ago when this subject came up some bollock breath bore down the pub or in the office or wherever would hold court about how he would take his shoes off and drive in his socks so he could feel the road better when the roads were icey.

• Like 1

Broadway is a cracker. Junction up from that featured by Mission ^, the road was resurfaced year or so ago, and the drain is higher than the gully so the water just spews all over the place at the junction. Interesting when it ices up, lots of offside cambers to encounter.

Watch this space over next few days...

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The wide, low profile tyres fitted to many cars these days in the name of traction and cornering in dry or wet conditions are unfortunately the exact opposite of what are required in ice and snow conditions - take a look at any WRC footage from snow-bound rounds and see what they use in such? Bring back thin, hard crossplies.. :lol:

totally agree with the first bit but a big no no to cross plies in the wet...........large diameter is the way to go too........750x16 on a series 2 landie, perfect...........