D.O.I another dumb ass idea

New traffic calming measure/drop pavement has been installed on entrance to hillside avenue just across from happy days motors. Drop kerb/speed hump in one. Some numpty thinking two with one stone but the thing is sited about three feet into estate causing traffic to suddenly slow or stop with 4 feet of the rear of the vehicle sticking out on to a major road. Also the hight of the hump is humungus causing the front of my vehicle to ground out. Not sure if this is due to poor installation or the need to try and keep the pedestrian part level. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction of the highway regulations on traffic calming measures and is it still not possible to take D.O.I. to task over damage caused to my vehicle. (not a boy racer model just bog standard Honda accord)   

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

New traffic calming measure/drop pavement has been installed on entrance to hillside avenue just across from happy days motors. Drop kerb/speed hump in one. Some numpty thinking two with one stone but the thing is sited about three feet into estate causing traffic to suddenly slow or stop with 4 feet of the rear of the vehicle sticking out on to a major road. Also the hight of the hump is humungus causing the front of my vehicle to ground out. Not sure if this is due to poor installation or the need to try and keep the pedestrian part level. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction of the highway regulations on traffic calming measures and is it still not possible to take D.O.I. to task over damage caused to my vehicle. (not a boy racer model just bog standard Honda accord)   

The DOI idiots have been messing around on this for weeks. I didn’t realise Hillside had a problem with traffic issues. 

Sadly the damage to your vehicle will result in you having to repair it at your own expense. Your arguments and potential reasoning will be dismissed automatically by those who make decisions, no matter whether they have made mistakes ( nothing quite like sweeping it under the carpet now). Remember, in life, council/Tynpotwald/MHKs/politicos right and Joe Public wrong!

• Like 2

I imagine it's to stop people using it as a cut through to avoid the traffic lights  a on circular road, I do it myself. If that is the case I'll just use the service lane behind Microgaming because I'm not sitting through 3 sets of lights because they can't set them in any sort of sequence.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I imagine it's to stop people using it as a cut through to avoid the traffic lights  a on circular road, I do it myself. If that is the case I'll just use the service lane behind Microgaming because I'm not sitting through 3 sets of lights because they can't set them in any sort of sequence.

Oh no, your world must be terrible, imagine how awful it must be to drive through three sets of traffic lights. If I were you I'd go to Syria or Afghanistan to let the people who have had their homes bombed and their family members murdered know just how hard your life is, I'm sure they'll be extremely sympathetic, hey, they might even offer to trade places with you.

17 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

It’s all part of “Operation Clusterfuck” which is an ongoing 10 year plus campaign of attrition against the population of the IOM by the DOI. No plan is ever big enough, stupid enough, or badly designed enough that the DOI cant make it ten times worse or more dangerous or inconvenient than it needs to be. 

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Pointless using this entrance as the narrowing effect of cars parked both sides is traffic calming in its own right. Better off using the next turning on Hillside terrace the one where this might of been of help, you don't think someone placed it on the wrong road. Forgot to mention also the fact they have put up the 20mph residential speed limit signs you know the one's mounted on the lime green poles how did we ever survive without them. At least I will not have to dodge the body's of the pensioners and children that were piled up every day now they have sorted this out.

As I said some knob heads idea mucho back slapping and the fact this took nine days negates any money savings I would imagine

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Pointless using this entrance as the narrowing effect of cars parked both sides is traffic calming in its own right. Better off using the next turning on Hillside terrace the one where this might of been of help, you don't think someone placed it on the wrong road. Forgot to mention also the fact they have put up the 20mph residential speed limit signs you know the one's mounted on the lime green poles how did we ever survive without them. At least I will not have to dodge the body's of the pensioners and children that were piled up every day now they have sorted this out.

As I said some knob heads idea mucho back slapping and the fact this took nine days negates any money savings I would imagine

An absolute shame that you use Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon symbol as your avatar to spout such utter shite. :angry:

Maybe you are "on the grass" and the "paper is holding your folded face to the floor" ?

Edited by dilligaf

I walked over this "improvement" last week and my first thought is what a dogs dinner they've made where the tarmac meets the pavement. It's uneven with trip hazards  and depressions that could cause problems for people with poor mobility. Once again DOI have created a problem where there wasn't one and the workmanship is laughable. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, louis said:

I walked over this "improvement" last week and my first thought is what a dogs dinner they've made where the tarmac meets the pavement. It's uneven with trip hazards  and depressions that could cause problems for people with poor mobility. Once again DOI have created a problem where there wasn't one and the workmanship is laughable. 

A typical DOI gold plated turd dumped out at our expense. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, louis said:

Is it compulsory to cross at that point.? If it is so bad maybe cross a bit further down where is it also safer, away from the junction, No ?

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Is it compulsory to cross at that point.? If it is so bad maybe cross a bit further down where is it also safer, away from the junction, No ?

I was walking down Westmoreland road  road towards Circular and crossed Hillside Avenue at its junction where the raised hump is. It's the only crossing point at the junction. To walk further down reduces visibility of all traffic approaching from all directions.

1 minute ago, louis said:

I was walking down Westmoreland road  road towards Circular and crossed Hillside Avenue at its junction where the raised hump is. It's the only crossing point at the junction. To walk further down reduces visibility of all traffic approaching from all directions.

You should always cross away from a junction. You are then looking for traffic from 2 directions, instead of 3 at the junction. Young'uns today eh ? :)

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You should always cross away from a junction. You are then looking for traffic from 2 directions, instead of 3 at the junction. Young'uns today eh ? :)

Sorry Dilli I respect your posts and that, but that Junction is an embarrassing piece of shite. However planned out / did the work should be totally ashamed. 

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:
6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Sorry Dilli I respect your posts and that, but that Junction is an embarrassing piece of shite. However planned out / did the work should be totally ashamed

TBH, I have not even seen what sounds like another complete cock up. Usually they are well intended, but poorly constructed.

I was only taking the piss about crossing further down the road, as that is what we always instructed our kids to do for safety.

Jay walking seems to be the in thing ATM, so you take your chance etc.:)

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

TBH, I have not even seen what sounds like another complete cock up. Usually they are well intended, but poorly constructed.

I was only taking the piss about crossing further down the road, as that is what we always instructed our kids to do for safety.

Jay walking seems to be the in thing ATM, so you take your chance etc.:)

They are usually well intended but completely useless and embarrassing to the DOI sadly. Have you seen the crossing there? Its the second attempt right after someone agreed to a crossing right on the entrance / exit of a bend. Whoever agreed to that was on drugs. There are also no signs up so nobody knows where to enter the car park, or drop off. Then they decide to screw up Hillside Avenue because people obviously moaned about the traffic so they again deploy a retarded sledgehammer to fix a problem that they created in the first place. The sooner the DOI is disbanded the better. We should go back to road gangs fixing things rather than managers creating vast projects to fuck stuff up. 

• Like 1