Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

Boundary disputes

Hi all, I’m having a boundary dispute with a neighbour at the moment. Has anyone any tips or advice to offer on how to defend an action as my lawyer is a bit rubbish to be honest. The bloke next door is trying to steal part of my garden and I really want to put him back in his box but I’m not really getting the sort of advice that I’m happy with. All comments welcome. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m obviously going daft. I can’t see where swordfish suggests the dispute is with Rob. Why does Rob think he does? 

Can you believe this cunt. He slags swordfish off blaming him as his neighbour now wants to redeem by helping him out. Who voted this dickhead in. This man is in Tynwald court and voting on "our" beha

Whatever, I’m sick of it. The minute his name is even mentioned on here all this bitter shite happens again. I thought that had all stopped now. It’s a bit like Fawlty Towers; whatever you do don’t me

First stop would be the deeds , and if you have or can get hold of the original paper docsI would venture to suggest that is the best evidence.

I was corrected by JW when I said I had the original deeds to my property but I do have paper sets of the documents related to the plot and the surrounding lands going back to many years before the house was built which I held onto despite being advised by a learned advocate that I could destroy them as "it was all kept on computer records these days". 

I had a similar problem when a neighbour built "his gatepost" on my land but a chat which included showing the plan of my original plot was indisputable  and that was the end of the matter. The brick gatepost remained but was mine and incorporated into the boundary wall ( all of which, including the footings ,on my land)

That said I know of a couple of boundary disputes which cost tens of thousands of pounds in legal fees , my friend "won" in the end but the land gained must be the most expensive strip of land in Cambridgeshire .

i wish you luck

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Hi all, I’m having a boundary dispute with a neighbour at the moment. Has anyone any tips or advice to offer on how to defend an action as my lawyer is a bit rubbish to be honest. The bloke next door is trying to steal part of my garden and I really want to put him back in his box but I’m not really getting the sort of advice that I’m happy with. All comments welcome. 

Well my first stop would be the Registry opposite High Court in Douglas to see who has what and sort the sheep from the goats.

But there have been so many changes there I am not even sure that a member of the public can look at the deeds and titles or whatever they have digitally now. There were a lot of changes. I seem to remember some sort of restrictions but too long ago!

You can always go there and ask and see what they say and also check the charges levied by the Registry.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TurricanII said:

Great that’s helpful. I’ll have a good dig around. Thanks. 

Edited by Swordfish
4 minutes ago, paswt said:

I had a similar problem when a neighbour built "his gatepost" on my land but a chat which included showing the plan of my original plot was indisputable  and that was the end of the matter. The brick gatepost remained but was mine and incorporated into the boundary wall ( all of which, including the footings ,on my land)

It’s nice when you can end it that way without being a bit of a bell end and it all ending up in court. I’m hoping a reasonable outcome can be obtained too. Thanks for your comments. 

• Like 1

If none of the above prove successful, obtain a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag pump action shotgun (the one with the 24 inch barrel) load it with solid shot cartridges, steam into your neighbors kitchen, discharge 2 rounds into the ceiling and shout “Keep the fuck off my land motherfucker”. I guarantee they won’t be expecting that and you will be noticed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You need to get your facts and evidence sorted.  

You need to have a lawyer in whom you have confidence if it goes down that route.

First you need copies of your deeds and those of your neighbours. The Deeds and Land Registries are open to public Search and you can buy copies of the deeds, plans and transfers.

Biggest problem is that plans are not definitive, poorly drawn, overlap. So by the plans you may both apparently own the disputed area. If that is the case then the toography on the ground and history of previous owners is required. Where was the fence, hedge, wall, and how long has it been there?

If the incursion is recent, within last 6 months, such as removing a boundary feature, you can seek a status quo order to restore pending resolution.

I’d always advise avoiding litigation if you can. Try mediation, without lawyers, to try and negotiate an agreement.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Depends on the age of the property. I did something about an old house in Douglas years and years ago now but I had to go the Manx Museum to get the original document...Before a certain year that is where they were (Then) and later ones were in the Registry.

I think it’s before 1911 at Museum. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, TurricanII said:

Actually that was more than helpful Turrican II

i dont think I will be taking the matter to my own MHK who it seems has failed to annexe part of his next door neighbours garden. It’s amazing what you find on that website. Thanks again! 

One 

https://www.judgments.im/content/J1551.htm

Two

https://www.judgments.im/content/J1560.htm

Three

https://www.judgments.im/content/J1561.htm

i think I’ll take JWs advice and try resolving it face to face without lawyers. That or a shotgun as proposed by Uhtred. 

Edited by Swordfish
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Actually that was more than helpful Turrican II

i dont think I will be taking the matter to my own MHK who it seems has failed to annexe part of his next door neighbours garden. It’s amazing what you find on that website. Thanks again! 

One 

https://www.judgments.im/content/J1551.htm

Two

https://www.judgments.im/content/J1560.htm

Three

https://www.judgments.im/content/J1561.htm

i think I’ll take JWs advice and try resolving it face to face without lawyers. That or a shotgun as proposed by Uhtred. 

Unfortunately, Swordfish you are not my neighbour - you are simply a horrible little troll out to cause trouble....

To prove that you are not actually my neighbour,

1) the case has been settled long ago and 2) their advocate (a family member) was reported to the Advocates Disciplinary Tribunal by an IOM Courts Costing Officer for over charging their customer. 

Feel free to read our skeleton case, which gives full details of the mistake made by our Advocate we when purchased our home. 

But thanks for showing your true colours 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Is anyone who accidentally unearths factual information connected to you in the public domain a troll? It would be helpful to know what your issue is. I asked a question and followed some links provided by another poster trying to help and there it was. I think a Johns advice is by far the best though to talk to my neighbour so that I don’t risk making an expensive arse of myself in court. It’s handy having those sort of people to refer to on here. 

Swordfish - you are a troll of the nastiest type.....

Your opening regardings was that you were having a boundary dispute, which then turns out to be against us....

Our land dispute is on the IOM Courts Page for all to see - we also gave evidence to a Tynwald Select Committee in order to ensure that the same mistakes did not happen to anyone else. 

We didnt ask for our Dispute to end up in the Courts, if anything, it was forced upon us....

You are simply a horrible little troll - but thanks showing your true colours 

• Haha 1