Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Donald Trumps

Mere Child Becomes Health Minister

29 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

DHSC is now being run by four people with very little political experience

The IOM government leadership as a whole has very little political experience.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The IOM government leadership as a whole has very little political experience.

I would suggest it's somewhat lacking on the leadership front as well....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I would suggest it's somewhat lacking on the leadership front as well....

I agree. Perhaps “senior figures” would be a more appropriate term. Donald highlights a significant matter though; all 4 politicians in DHSC - Ashford, Corlett, Moorhouse and Bettison, were newly elected in September 2016. For that to be true of such a significant Department is extraordinary. And probably unwise.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1

Sacrificial lambs

The more 'experienced' guys know how to play safe.

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I agree. Perhaps “senior figures” would be a more appropriate term. Donald highlights a significant matter though; all 4 politicians in DHSC - Ashford, Corlett, Moorhouse and Bettison, were newly elected in September 2016. For that to be true of such a significant Department is extraordinary. And probably unwise.

At least Bettison was a nurse so will understand some of the care issues even if I think he’s a rubbish MHK. But the rest is baffling really. Ann Corlett - a woman who I’m not sure even exists in reality as she seems to be struck with Geoff Corkish disease which seems to cause almost total silence on any political matter no matter how mundane. Moorhouse - who seems to be obsessed with trying not to look like an idiot whilst constantly looking like an idiot with everything he says and does; and finally Ashford - who so desperately wants to be a Minister at any cost that he’s probably built a shrine to Howard Quayle in his bedroom and does live sacrifices to the Gods on it every evening hoping that the Gods will be kind to him and grant his wish. 

Fairplay to HQ he knows that Department well from his time there and he was tough enough to take the hassle for a couple of years but politically it’s the gift that keeps on giving. Most of the civil servants in there are complete c**ts and there’s a whole pile of stuff waiting to blow up that will see anyone off in the end. No wonder nobody else wanted to go anywhere near it. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, gettafa said:

Who's laughing? Albert comes home after sloping around being ignored in the pub, with a belly full of beer. and desperate to think he's funny man. The remark is below childish. Just silly.

I wasn't even in a pub smartarse. Touch a nerve because you're a bit of a porker?

I..don't...believe...you....

4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

At least Bettison was a nurse so will understand some of the care issues even if I think he’s a rubbish MHK. But the rest is baffling really. Ann Corlett - a woman who I’m not sure even exists in reality as she seems to be struck with Geoff Corkish disease which seems to cause almost total silence on any political matter no matter how mundane. Moorhouse - who seems to be obsessed with trying not to look like an idiot whilst constantly looking like an idiot with everything he says and does; and finally Ashford - who so desperately wants to be a Minister at any cost that he’s probably built a shrine to Howard Quayle in his bedroom and does live sacrifices to the Gods on it every evening hoping that the Gods will be kind to him and grant his wish. 

Fairplay to HQ he knows that Department well from his time there and he was tough enough to take the hassle for a couple of years but politically it’s the gift that keeps on giving. Most of the civil servants in there are complete c**ts and there’s a whole pile of stuff waiting to blow up that will see anyone off in the end. No wonder nobody else wanted to go anywhere near it. 

Not sure if that was a typo, but Bettison is female. 

Being a former nurse does not mean she understands the workings of budgets, planning and management.

In my opinion, if she wanted to be of any use the DHSC, she should have stayed as a nurse. Simple as that.

That Dept. now looks like the "Junior Tynwald "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Being a former nurse does not mean she understands the workings of budgets, planning and management.

In my opinion, if she wanted to be of any use the DHSC, she should have stayed as a nurse. Simple as that.

Bit harsh , I haven't a clue who or what Bettison is  but by your logic I should have stuck being a baggage loader at Blackpool Airport.

I do wonder if anyone at the DHSC understands the workings of budgets, planning and management :)

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Dilli I respect you but come on. I don’t think anyone up there understands budgets and planning and management. If they didn’t it wouldn’t be such a bag of shite. She understands service delivery and the provision of care. Is she going to be ignored because she is female? I’m not getting the push back to be honest. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Dilli I respect you but come on. I don’t think anyone up there understands budgets and planning and management. If they didn’t it wouldn’t be such a bag of shite. She understands service delivery and the provision of care. Is she going to be ignored because she is female? I’m not getting the push back to be honest. 

Your post implied she was MALE. That is all .

But as I said, she was a nurse and by all account a decent one. That is the only input she can make to DHSC. Playing at being a Tory "over there", means Jack Shit here.

Should have stayed as a nurse in my view.

I am now out of this convo, because I am getting pissed off and will say more than I should.

BTW , the typo in your third sentence is open to abuse too.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 1

I suppose Howard had to repay Ashford for being his campaign manager in the CM race somehow!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

"  I don’t think anyone up there understands budgets and planning and management.""

It is possible to perfectly understand budgetary requirements BUT not be able to do anything about an emerging situation that is beyond their control!

Would we really want our NHS to stop providing health care when they reach their budget cap? Should they just be given the extra 20mil that they obviously need in this years budget?

There may well be superfluous management at Nobles but it is likely that those who know that their job is on the line are  the ones who will make the best effort to find solutions in order to justify their being retained?

It is the management who are safe who may be making the least effort?

Ironically, IO Man Newspapers have found that the majority are in favour of the Prom Scheme at 20mil! I wonder if the question was to spend that money on OUR Health Service or the Prom would elicit a different response?

A more controversial way of looking at this would be to blame medical staff ( including Nurses!!!!) Quelle Horreur ! It's all very well to blame the cost of locum Docters but 'Bank' Nurses? Surely not? Yet, it could well be that a bank nurse or locum docter wanting to work only 30 hrs for more money than a staffer gets for 40 hrs is PURE greed and they could be part of the problem.

The DHSC. have reported that their financial woes are related to drug costs and locum staff costs, this latter supports the above? The drug costs are beyond the IoMan clout but are being addressed by the English Govt.

The long term solutions are exactly that, Long Term. In the meantime , do we want to keep on providing an excellent Health Service, YES!

Do we want to pay 20mil for a new Prom while reducing Health Services, NO!

• Like 2

I haven't read the whole thread yet but

Bloody Hell!

How many chins in one picture?

I am totally pissed off now, thought I got a bargain on the latest of 'wide angle, panoramic, see all' camera lenses in the sales.

Now they have released the fat, incompetent, dishonest lens with chin shop included!

Bastards.

Next thing you know Bettisonchin will be back making excuses for Quayle's DHSC.   No...... surely not!