Jump to content

TT 2018


woody2
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Possibly worth an FOI request to whichever Department the HSE falls under. 

 

There can't be anything commercially sensitive within it 

I'm referring to ACU race processes, not IOMG. Although you would think that the governments own HSE inspectors would be be part of the process. If that's the case, then whoever in IOMG signed off on the section that caused the Mercer incident will be lying low until it's all over and done with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, finlo said:

"The BIG one"

What sort of thing is likely to be the big one? There are a lot more restricted areas these days, to protect those who don't seem able to think for themselves. Admittedly the course can never be 100% safe, but there have been very few incidents involving spectators over the 112 years since the TT began. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Maybe when there are no longer riders willing to race here?

Or maybe when the blinkers of the most ardent TT apologists are finally removed - it's getting closer.

Or when Paul Phillips finally gets rid of the MGP and in the order of natural progression the TT and then his own job.....

Everybody will be happy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What sort of thing is likely to be the big one? There are a lot more restricted areas these days, to protect those who don't seem able to think for themselves. Admittedly the course can never be 100% safe, but there have been very few incidents involving spectators over the 112 years since the TT began. 

Wow - 26th Milestone.....

How close was the bloke at the bottom of Bray Hill a few years ago - wheel into the crowd.

Max it's right in front of your face - happens every year, imagine if someone died crashing into a horse live on the radio during a race....

Or a severed head in a helmet - Bray Hill sidecars 

Just take a few minutes and think about it and reflect on the atrocities individually - #roadwarriors.......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Maybe when there are no longer riders willing to race here?

If speed kills, then the faster the bikes get, "which they seem to do year-on-year", it is only a matter of time, where the odds get shorter and shorter of surving a crash ( even into a straw bale ), to my mind, the "risk to reward ratio", is ever moving to risk ( as in loss of life ), more than reward ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What sort of thing is likely to be the big one? There are a lot more restricted areas these days, to protect those who don't seem able to think for themselves. Admittedly the course can never be 100% safe, but there have been very few incidents involving spectators over the 112 years since the TT began. 

I would imagine the kinetic energy in a wayward bike going at 150+mph could see it end up pretty much anywhere!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Wow - 26th Milestone.....

How close was the bloke at the bottom of Bray Hill a few years ago - wheel into the crowd.

Max it's right in front of your face - happens every year, imagine if someone died crashing into a horse live on the radio during a race....

Or a severed head in a helmet - Bray Hill sidecars 

Just take a few minutes and think about it and reflect on the atrocities individually - #roadwarriors.......

A friend of mine was watching  TT this year and a bolt from a bike flew off and missed him and his family by millimetres. I doubt the sidecar outfit even noticed. Potential to kill a spectator 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

A friend of mine was watching  TT this year and a bolt from a bike flew off and missed him and his family by millimetres. I doubt the sidecar outfit even noticed. Potential to kill a spectator 

A friend of mine told a lie on the internets and a bolt of lightning flew down and killed him. And his fluffy kitten.

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

Maybe when there are no longer riders willing to race here?

This almost happened when the TT lost its world championship status. Many of the top riders’ sponsors announced they would not be investing in a race with no exposure in the world stage. It seemed as though it might be the end, but all it did was open the gates to the privateers, and so it all began again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ecobob said:

This almost happened when the TT lost its world championship status. Many of the top riders’ sponsors announced they would not be investing in a race with no exposure in the world stage. It seemed as though it might be the end, but all it did was open the gates to the privateers, and so it all began again. 

It was lucky in some ways that several teams were British based such as Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki. They kept the kudos of the event going whilst the TT was made a round of a roads based series, F1, F2 and F3 which later developed into World Superbike.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the TT was still important as regards the sales market, even after losing World Championship status. It was seen (and is) a proving ground for reliability, that was important as the Japanese saw off the last of the British bike industry, and probably why Honda remained such a staunch supporter of the event. Suzuki have put effort in over the years too, as did Yamaha for the 2007 Centenary. But bikes nowadays have increasingly become CAD/CAM and racetrack developed so the TT now relies on tradition as its foundation rather than sales relevance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...