TT 2018

woody2

6 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

I have to say that Tim Glover on Radio TT has an effect that naturally makes me turn my wireless off Lol - His droning freaking voice makes me want to errrm.... Switch the radio off :unsure:

Did you switch it off then?

3 hours ago, twinkle said:

what is the criteria for the drivers of the "course cars"?,they used to be driven by MYLCHREESTS staff including EXPERIENCED rally drivers,from info I've received it seems the driver of the car involved in the collision has NEVER ridden a motorcycle,was bequeathed the sector marshalls job by a family member and in all truth should never EVER have been allowed loose on the TT course.his claim to fame was to have a race tuned car outside his house for the TT period to show of to the neighbours. well that worked out well.NOT. the ACU have a lot to answer for IF my info is correct.

The road was closed. There was a full course, red fall situation. The course should have been completely clear for travelling marshalls, course cars, doctors, ambulances, etc. How were these three bikes on the course? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The road was closed. There was a full course, red fall situation. The course should have been completely clear for travelling marshalls, course cars, doctors, ambulances, etc. How were these three bikes on the course? 

I was at home listening to the commentary on the radio. Whilst the tragic cause of the incident wasn't known or discussed at the time, it was quite clearly said by the radio commentator that bikes would be returned back around the course.

Makes me wonder if that has been wrongly interpreted as an instruction, by the marshals holding the bikes at the red flag point, to release them to do just that?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, twinkle said:

what is the criteria for the drivers of the "course cars"?,they used to be driven by MYLCHREESTS staff including EXPERIENCED rally drivers,from info I've received it seems the driver of the car involved in the collision has NEVER ridden a motorcycle,was bequeathed the sector marshalls job by a family member and in all truth should never EVER have been allowed loose on the TT course.his claim to fame was to have a race tuned car outside his house for the TT period to show of to the neighbours. well that worked out well.NOT. the ACU have a lot to answer for IF my info is correct.

As I remember it, most of the "roads open" cars were supplied by Mylchreests ( to showboat the latest Allegro, Montego, Rover  etc. ) and usually driven by Brian.( until he became too old :ph34r: ) I don't think he had any skills to speak of. After him it was his son David, who did have some competition experience albeit in aged MG cars or something on safe circuits across.

Pretty sure that now, after a few dropped balls, all the drivers are experienced and skilled drivers. 

I've no idea why experience of riding a bike has anything at all to do with driving a course car though.

Many narrow minded posters on here letting both themselves and the TT in general down. 

Edited by dilligaf

15 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Yes, all of the course car drivers hold either race or rally competition licences or are ex=Police traffic drivers.
No-one else gets to drive...the last time they let journalists drive one crashed at Sulby Bridge!

They weren't Manx though, if you have spent your whole driving life avoiding stupid twats on motorcycles then you are more qualified than some fat old copper.

• Haha 2

I'm surprised so many people come to the island with their bikes since the population has increased so much and there are so many cars on the road (or so some locals were telling me earlier). Can't imagine buying a motorbike only to visit a place where I'd be stuck in traffic all day. Back when George Formby was around it would have been much more fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

They weren't Manx though, if you have spent your whole driving life avoiding stupid twats on motorcycles then you are more qualified than some fat old copper.

They, like the TM's are all locals.

13 hours ago, Snorri said:

I'm surprised so many people come to the island with their bikes since the population has increased so much and there are so many cars on the road (or so some locals were telling me earlier). Can't imagine buying a motorbike only to visit a place where I'd be stuck in traffic all day. Back when George Formby was around it would have been much more fun.

Yes, more people used motorcycles as their daily transport in those days too.

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I don’t think any former police officers are now driving course cars? They did for a couple of years post 2007. I will stand corrected though.

You're right Derek.

14 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Yes, all of the course car drivers hold either race or rally competition licences 

I'm not sure why these groups would be considered the most suitable to drive the course cars. I'd have thought they were the highest risk drivers to do it. 

12 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I'm not sure why these groups would be considered the most suitable to drive the course cars. I'd have thought they were the highest risk drivers to do it. 

Not at all, they have more idea about car control and the dynamics involved than just about any other group you may think of. 

Just now, Max Power said:

Not at all, they have more idea about car control and the dynamics involved than just about any other group you may think of. 

So what? They're not in a race, why would they need ideas about car control and involved dynamics? The fact that you think they do reinforces my belief that they are the last ones who should be driving. 

• Like 1