TT 2018

woody2

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

In these days of instant worldwide communications it strikes me as peculiar that we still have to run a "roads open" car around the course at the end of each session. Is it beyond the wit to be able to get a message from each sector saying all is clear and when that is done, send one back out to all marshalls to remove the barriers simultaneously. All roads could be opened in 5 -10 minutes. Obviously, I'm missing something, but what?

It wasn't the roads open car which was involved in the accident, it was the course inspection car on its way to look at Dan Kneen's accident aftermath. 

The road is opened by a car to allow a gradual feed in of traffic and also to provide a visual signal around the course. It can actually be sent out whilst the last bikes are still on the course and can be halted if there is any work required to reposition barriers etc along the route.

• Thanks 1

Just now, woolley said:

I don't want to start a long conversation about this, but it still gnaws at me that in 2018 there has to be a better way than someone doing a lap in a vehicle. Just seems archaic when we have instant communications and responsible people all around the  course. Not gonna labour it though.

As has been seen by that poor fella being hit by the car, The system is SHIT. I would place no trust whatsoever into a system that relies on verbal communication rather than the clear view that ONE person has as the driver of a car. Too many in the loop acting as chiefs. Everyone is in charge until it goes tits up.

Far too many people think they are important.

They aren't.

• Like 2

So, Howard Quayle is a great supporter of the TT, according to his sound bite an Manx Radio. Fine, but then he goes on to put TT deaths into some sort of context by using the climbing Everest death comparison. There are some differences between the TT and Mount Everest. First, Mount Everest is a naturally occurring phenomena. It always has been the tallest mountain on the planet and it always will be, every year. It is not created every May by Government for the sole purpose of mountain climbing. It just exists as the planet's highest mountain, there is nothing anyone can do about it and it will always be a challenge to climb it. Second, climbing Everest is not a spectator -driven event with the sole purpose of attracting many tourists to come and watch it and to spend their money on beer and burgers etc. 

If our Chief Minister wants to defend the TT in the face of racing deaths, can't he ask someone to come up with a more reasoned and relevant comparison? I am not anti-TT; just anti-bullshit.

Edited by joebean
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, joebean said:

So, Howard Quayle is a great supporter of the TT, according to his sound bite an Manx Radio. Fine, but then he goes on to put TT deaths into some sort of context by using the climbing Everest death comparison. There are some differences between the TT and Mount Everest. First, Mount Everest is a naturally occurring phenomena. It always has been the tallest mountain on the planet and it always will be, every year. It is not created every May by Government for the sole purpose of mountain climbing. It just exists as the planet's highest mountain, there is nothing anyone can do about it and it will always be a challenge to climb it. Second, climbing Everest is not a spectator -driven event with the sole purpose of attracting many tourists to come and watch it and to spend their money on beer and burgers etc. 

If our Chief Minister wants to defend the TT in the face of racing deaths, can't he ask someone to come up with a more reasoned and relevant comparison? I am not anti-TT; just anti-bullshit.

To be fair, and as is his particular brand of politician's speak, he kind of second hands the Everest analogy. Manx Radio and Howard's TT soundbite

(The analogy is to an extent relevant, but only when expressed by someone who understands what they are talking about)

8 hours ago, woolley said:

I don't want to start a long conversation about this, but it still gnaws at me that in 2018 there has to be a better way than someone doing a lap in a vehicle. Just seems archaic when we have instant communications and responsible people all around the  course. Not gonna labour it though.

Drones?:D

Fresh Fears For Mercer In Hospital

Brain injury could be affecting recovery

Steve Mercer has 'deteriorated' in hospital, according to his wife.

It's now a week since the 36-year-old rider was involved in a collision with the course car following a separate incident which claimed the life of Dan Kneen.

Mercer is still being treated in hospital in Liverpool, where doctors last described his condition as 'stable'.

But fears have been raised of a traumatic brain injury received in addition to multiple fractures received during last Wednesday's practice incident.

Posting on Facebook, Caroline Mercer said she and medical staff were hopeful the swelling would improve and Steve would be able to breathe unaided again.

She's continued to thank friends and fans for their support.

Only marshals have the benefit of instant communications to say when the roads are open and, for the benefit of those waiting to go somewhere, the roads are opened in stages as soon as it is safe to do so. Thus, the roads open car is behind the last vehicle on the Course, using it as the TT Course rather than a public highway. For the man and woman standing at their Gate, the Roads Open car is a visible and certain confirmation that it is legal to go on the road. That's why we still have it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Everest hasn't always been the tallest mountain on the planet. It was at one time below sea level. Thank you

Ok, but I think it probably pre-dates the creation of the TT Course by some margin, like a few hundred million years. Is that enough? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This incident which we still don't know the full details of is an absolute fucking disgrace and so is the cover up.

i would not expect the group of riders to have released themselves against the flow of the course.