Jump to content

TT 2018


woody2
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

In the way it illustrates the point. It is broadcast live in HD along a different 200km route each day.

But it's also an interesting event, with lots of drama - attempted breaks from the pack, intermediate sprints, races within races. The TT doesn't have that it's just a time trial, the excitement comes from the slight changes in gap. It's therefore more exciting on the radio next to the course than it can ever be on telly, because the leaders rarely dice for the lead.

Also it's far easier to follow a pack of bicycles along a linear course, than intermittently spread out motorcycles on circuit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Declan said:

But it's also an interesting event, with lots of drama - attempted breaks from the pack, intermediate sprints, races within races. The TT doesn't have that it's just a time trial, the excitement comes from the slight changes in gap. It's therefore more exciting on the radio next to the course than it can ever be on telly, because the leaders rarely dice for the lead.

Also it's far easier to follow a pack of bicycles along a linear course, than intermittently spread out motorcycles on circuit. 

Quite similar to car rallying I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I get the impression that they've pissed off so many local volunteers over the years that they're just not coming forward any more. Can't say I blame them.

They are pissed off as there taken for granted. There getting treated like dirt by the big wigs, politicos and the hangers on associated with the TT. When you have people devoting time year on year, and others are getting preferential treatment, it’s surprising that the event can hold on to its free stewarding. I would predict that Government if the TT Marshall or lack of, persists may have to recruit professional or paid Motorsport Marshall’s. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

They are pissed off as there taken for granted. There getting treated like dirt by the big wigs, politicos and the hangers on associated with the TT. When you have people devoting time year on year, and others are getting preferential treatment, it’s surprising that the event can hold on to its free stewarding. I would predict that Government if the TT Marshall or lack of, persists may have to recruit professional or paid Motorsport Marshall’s. 

how is that different to anything else iomg are associated with......

:lol:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair, neither the TT ot CTT/MGP were particularly short of marshals last year? There was just a bit of rearranging of positions but nothing serious and no delays were threatened or experienced. That's not to say that everything is wonderful, the profile of the marshals is aging and younger people need to be attracted rather than just making up numbers, eventually some will just be too old to do some of the jobs that marshals do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Max Power said:

To be fair, neither the TT ot CTT/MGP were particularly short of marshals last year? There was just a bit of rearranging of positions but nothing serious and no delays were threatened or experienced. That's not to say that everything is wonderful, the profile of the marshals is aging and younger people need to be attracted rather than just making up numbers, eventually some will just be too old to do some of the jobs that marshals do.

There may not have been a "shortage" of marshals  in total but IMO at some marshalling points they were a bit thin on the ground , whereas at others they were a bit "mob handed" .

Still I s'pose if there are only 3marshals and it "kicks off" each marshal will be galvanised into action whereas if there are 20 + (?).....   many will stand round scratching their backsides doing nothing expecting the others to sort it out.:rolleyes:

The minimum number of marshals at a marshalling point (deemed adequate by the powers that be) , IMO could be insufficient, in the event of an incident, but what do I know (as a former H&S Inspector:lol:)?

I've marshalled for 10 years and you are correct that many marshals are of retirement age or older and if if younger people are not incentivised to volunteer  folk like me will drop off their perch ..........

I have to say that in previous years when marshals  experienced considerable delays in  getting off the mountain ( and receiving no response to correspondence ) quite a few  voted with their feet  as they felt a tad 'unloved' . 

Edited by paswt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, paswt said:

There may not have been a "shortage" of marshals  in total but IMO at some marshalling points they were a bit thin on the ground , whereas at others they were a bit "mob handed" .

Still I s'pose if there are only 3marshals and it "kicks off" each marshal will be galvanised into action whereas if there are 20 + (?).....   many will stand round scratching their backsides doing nothing expecting the others to sort it out.:rolleyes:

The minimum number of marshals at a marshalling point (deemed adequate by the powers that be) , IMO could be insufficient, in the event of an incident, but what do I know (as a former H&S Inspector:lol:)?

I've marshalled for 10 years and you are correct that many marshals are of retirement age or older and if if younger people are not incentivised to volunteer  folk like me will drop off their perch ..........

I have to say that in previous years when marshals  experienced considerable delays in  getting off the mountain ( and receiving no response to correspondence ) quite a few  voted with their feet  as they felt a tad 'unloved' . 

I believe that the minimum manning levels were agreed by the TTMA but I could be wrong? 

Yes, it's very difficult when things go wrong up on the Mountain, there should be a contingency plan to get people away really, particularly when the temperature drops at night.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...