What is happening with kfc place

Blaine

46 minutes ago, Declan said:

Well, I'm suggesting having THAT shop selling records damages the quality of the record buying experience. history suggests that. 

In the 80's,  and early 90's we had Shocks, the Music Box and Coburns tried their hand at it, plus Woolies. Shocks, in particular, was great for record buyers because you could order the record you wanted and it would be there in a week or so. So you had a broad choice. 

Then Harrison Musique open and became HMV. The others gradually shut or stopped selling records. Then HMV stopped selling records and only selling CDs. The ordering process made it impossible to get anything HMV didn't have in the Island. Then they reduced the number of cds they'd sell in favour of boring film rubbish and would take anything interesting from the shop every Xmas to make room for customers who only shopped once a year looking for Daniel O'Donnell sings Jingle Bells. 

Then HMV decided they were backing the vinyl revival and half-heartedly stocked a few reissues. But you still had to use mail order for anything out of the ordinary. 

Now HMV have gone and we are seeing the first tentative signs of recovery locally. HMV will crush that and we'll end up with the same old disinterested service they've always provided. 

Ah right, gotcha. As a film collector more than a record collector, I'd welcome a new HMV but I see where you're coming from. Thanks for the insight! :)

5 hours ago, Declan said:

Well, I'm suggesting having THAT shop selling records damages the quality of the record buying experience. history suggests that. 

In the 80's,  and early 90's we had Shocks, the Music Box and Coburns tried their hand at it, plus Woolies. Shocks, in particular, was great for record buyers because you could order the record you wanted and it would be there in a week or so. So you had a broad choice. 

Then Harrison Musique open and became HMV. The others gradually shut or stopped selling records. Then HMV stopped selling records and only selling CDs. The ordering process made it impossible to get anything HMV didn't have in the Island. Then they reduced the number of cds they'd sell in favour of boring film rubbish and would take anything interesting from the shop every Xmas to make room for customers who only shopped once a year looking for Daniel O'Donnell sings Jingle Bells. 

Then HMV decided they were backing the vinyl revival and half-heartedly stocked a few reissues. But you still had to use mail order for anything out of the ordinary. 

Now HMV have gone and we are seeing the first tentative signs of recovery locally. HMV will crush that and we'll end up with the same old disinterested service they've always provided. 

Times simply changed. You don't go to a physical shop for music anymore. It's like bemoaning the lack of bucket and spade holidaymakers here. Beyond that basic fact of life, two factors ruined the trade. Downloading (often for nothing) from the internet and the VAT free scam of mail order from the Channel Islands.

Mainly

12 hours ago, woolley said:

Times simply changed. You don't go to a physical shop for music anymore. It's like bemoaning the lack of bucket and spade holidaymakers here. Beyond that basic fact of life, two factors ruined the trade. Downloading (often for nothing) from the internet and the VAT free scam of mail order from the Channel Islands.

Mainly

I agree with you in general but the trade here was ruined long before downloading took hold and that was caused by HMV. 

However times are changing again. 

Downloading is yesterday's thing - people simply stream on their phones or tablets instead of keeping vast collections of files on a PC, like we might have done a 5 years ago. 

A proportion of buyers retain a desire to own the physical object, that's growing and "the curated" experience of an independent shop is popular. There certainly seem to be more record shops now than a few years ago when I go across. 

I suspect that the model for the Island is a shop that sells records alongside something else. I rather hope there is because I'd like to spend more of record buying money on Island and there'd be saving on P&P. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Where's that?

As a student I spent the majority of my generous grants in the Vinyl Exchange in Manchester.  Thanks for my record collection, taxpayers.

The Village Walk in Onchan, I think that's temporary though. 

Bridge Bookshop in Port Erin and Ramsey sell new and you can order. They're dipping their toes in the water at the moment but hopefully they'll expand. 

15 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

That second hand record place is really expensive, surely selling second hand records at huge mark ups is worse than file sharing?

Second hand vinyl is expensive at the moment and people selling collections to dealers know that too. He's at the higher end of price scale on discogs but you don't have postage and packing. 

Worse than file sharing? Firstly you can choose not to buy if it's not value for money. 

Secondly, a second hand shop - is paying rates, tax, electric, rent and offering a service and will have paid the original owner and the buyer has a tangible asset with a resale value. File sharing really contributes nothing the economy. 

Edited by Declan

12 minutes ago, Declan said:

The Village Walk in Onchan, I think that's temporary though. 

Bridge Bookshop in Port Erin and Ramsey sell new and you can order. They're dipping their toes in the water at the moment but hopefully they'll expand. 

Second hand vinyl is expensive at the moment and people selling collections to dealers know that too. He's at the higher end of price scale on discogs but you don't have postage and packing. 

Worse than file sharing? Firstly you can choose not to buy if it's not value for money. 

Secondly, a second hand shop - is paying rates, tax, electric, rent and offering a service and will have paid the original owner and the buyer has a tangible asset with a resale value. File sharing really contributes nothing the economy. 

can you lawfully sell old vinyl........

Yeah, the record companies would have stamped it out years ago if it wasn't. In fact book publishers would have centuries ago. 

The record company sold you a copy of the record and effectively a licence to the music contained within and you have the right right to sell on that copy. 

You don't have a right to make a new copy. 

28 minutes ago, Declan said:

Yeah, the record companies would have stamped it out years ago if it wasn't. In fact book publishers would have centuries ago. 

The record company sold you a copy of the record and effectively a licence to the music contained within and you have the right right to sell on that copy. 

don't think so.....

5 minutes ago, woody2 said:
36 minutes ago, Declan said:

don't think so.....

Declan is correct. :)

• Like 1