http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/get-rid-of-superfluous-plastic-straws/

It occurs to me that here is a virtual no-brainer. The Island could take a lead and just ban the sale and import of plastic straws. Alternatives are easily available. And while we are at it, plastic cotton buds. Same argument applies. Oh, and while we are at that, plastic carrier bags too. Same argument applies.

• Like 1

By stopping the free bags, they have achieved nothing really. People are not bothered about spending 10p on a bag for life. All that's happened is a heavier duty plastic has now entered the fray. If they were serious with their intentions then stop plastic bags altogether and issue paper or hessian bags...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mission said:

I've tried the cardboard cotton buds, they're useless by comparison.

I'm all for being green but only if it doesn't affect the performance of a product.

Depends what you are using them for :)

Cotton Buds are very problematic because some people flush them down the lavatory after use.  So, whilst you could argue that plastic bags and straws end up in the incinerator here, a lot of cotton buds end up in the sea.

Not having to apply or remove make-up and heeding medical advice to clean the ear canal with my elbows, I lack experience of how good the different types are.

It  isn't really about the specifics of the Manx case. It's a question of a small jurisdiction giving a lead.

• Like 1

Who would flush a cotton bud down the toilet? The same type of idiot that would flush a plastic tampon applicator down the toilet. Who would design such a thing anyway?  

I've a list of people that need to go on my pyre (when I have it), the designer of plastic tampon applicators is one of them. 

• Like 2

The straw thing is quite disgraceful really, why have them at all?  They are useful for children to avoid spills, but what was wrong with the old wax covered straws? At least they won't  cut the roof of your mouth if you trip or bob down too quickly.  

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The straw thing is quite disgraceful really, why have them at all?  They are useful for children to avoid spills, but what was wrong with the old wax covered straws? At least they won't  cut the roof of your mouth if you trip or bob down too quickly.  

With a straw in your mouth ???

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Gizo said:

What ever happened to the brown paper bags, I remember using them at the grocers (remember them?). Are they too expensive, at least they are disposable.

i did see someone at tescos after stuff had been swiped taking fruit and veg out of the plastic and putting everything into paper bags leaving all the plastic at the till, the lass on the checkouts face was a picture....

we really have taken a backwards step, straws used to be cardboard, everything was wrapped in paper including fish n' chips! milk and pop glass bottles went back.....

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

The daft thing is the technology exists to run a very straightforward bottle deposit return system for all glass bottles and drink cans but the UK don't seem interested in it.

i blame the eu......

What is the Issue with Plastic Straws?   Are they Clogging Up the Drains?  They can not be anywhere near as Annoying as People throwing around their Cigarette Butts all over the Place.

In my Property Maintenance Occupation, I have had to pick up so many Cigarette Butts that get Tossed About all over the place it is Mind Blowing.

3X3