Public 'prepared' to pay for healthcare

28 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Why would a consultant come to work here full time when they can probably earn 4 or 5 times the dollar by being a locum?

We should think ourselves very lucky that we have good consultants here and I can think of 3 or 4 apart from Wrighty ( although there must be a few more unknown to me.)

They don’t get holiday pay or pension. Have to pay for those themselves. It suits some people, not others. Not much good if you’re a family man.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once again this inept bunch fail to understand just how cost cutting works. Their continued push towards charging for everything and anything proves they are out of their depths and protecting the equ

*MASSIVE POST WARNING* I’m fortunate that through various family members I have a perspective on the NHS that stretches back almost to the very first days in 1948; admittedly mostly a UK perspe

Eddie Teares pension meddling is at the root of many problems ! After having a rant on the telephone to a senior guy in government he said to me " we told him not to do these things " How true th

Posted Images

Just now, John Wright said:
31 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Why would a consultant come to work here full time when they can probably earn 4 or 5 times the dollar by being a locum?

We should think ourselves very lucky that we have good consultants here and I can think of 3 or 4 apart from Wrighty ( although there must be a few more unknown to me.)

They don’t get holiday pay or pension. Have to pay for those themselves. It suits some people, not others. Not much good if you’re a family man.

Poor fuckers.

What they can earn each month is far more than lots can earn in a year.

I will have to check up on current figures, but what I saw a few years ago was eye watering. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, John Wright said:

I don’t think high wages are  true now, if it ever was. Anyone in catering, cleaning, portering is on minimum wage being exploited by the likes of ISS. Facilities management is outsourced to the likes of the former Carillion. They aren’t unionised. Nurses are underpaid, and wards understaffed.

Medical staff struggle to cope.

Yes, some savings could be made, but truth is we underfund by comparison to most sophisticated, mature, industrialised countries.

The real inefficiencies and cost wastage occurs in a system like the US one, where the number of admin staff and pen pushers dealing with outsourced providers and insurers is huge and drug firms exploit by charging far more than here. But even at huge cost many people aren’t covered and don’t get treatment because they can’t afford. Even the insureds have huge co-payments.

a uk nurse gets 3 times the amount of an italian nurse and the uk nurses work less hours...

as for carillion, if only labour stop giving them contracts......

you can't compare the nhs to any other health system worldwide, private healthcare is far cheaper than what the gov. pays the nhs per head.....

medical staff struggle because the vast majority are lazy......

take a nhs a+e, the busiest shift is saturday night with 16 medical staff on, the quietist shifts is mon-fri mornings when they have an average of 30 medical staff on, its nuts.... 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, woody2 said:

1. as for carillion, if only labour stop giving them contracts......

2. you can't compare the nhs to any other health system worldwide, private healthcare is far cheaper than what the gov. pays the nhs per head.....

3. medical staff struggle because the vast majority are lazy......

4. take a nhs a+e, the busiest shift is saturday night with 16 medical staff on, the quietist shifts is mon-fri mornings when they have an average of 30 medical staff on, its nuts.... 

1. I don’t suppose any party will be giving Carillion any contracts. Both parties have done it, it was a cynical attempt to cut costs by attacking the lowest paid,  giving them poor working T&C and getting rid of pension costs.

2. Privatised health care is much more expensive per head of population, per person treated or as a % of GDP

3. My experience has been the exact opposite.

4.  That’s a Management allocation of resources issue, if true. Which hospital are you referring to for those specific figures ( thats rhetorical, in practical terms,  because you won’t answer, and it’s a woody2 fake fact ) 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

1. I don’t suppose any party will be giving Carillion any contracts. Both parties have done it, it was a cynical attempt to cut costs by attacking the lowest paid,  giving them poor working T&C and getting rid of pension costs.

2. Privatised health care is much more expensive per head of population, per person treated or as a % of GDP

3. My experience has been the exact opposite.

4.  That’s a Management allocation of resources issue, if true. Which hospital are you referring to for those specific figures ( thats rhetorical, in practical terms,  because you won’t answer, and it’s a woody2 fake fact ) 

1. my point was that all sides have been passing work on to private contractors

2. can't remember figure but its around £3.5k, my private healthcare is cheaper

3. the go slow union policy is well known

4. its down to the unions, its not a lack of staff that's the problem. and yes you are correct i won't say which a+e it is because only one italian nurse works in the department......

your view on uk nurse been on 3x the wage is.....

• Like 1

1. That’s not what you said.

2. If that’s a uk policy it’s done on the back of NHS. Won’t cover a lot of expensive treatments. I pay about £5000 in private premiums. But it didn’t cover my Leukaemia treatment. I tried the Christie private unit, no go. Does your premium really cover a heart transplant, or GP services? Or private ambulances? Etc.

3. For nurses and doctors, really? No.

4. Nurses pay in Western Europe isn’t all that different. Your figures are miles out. And you can’t draw your conclusion from one A&E  to cover the whole NHS.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

1. That’s not what you said.

2. If that’s a uk policy it’s done on the back of NHS. Won’t cover a lot of expensive treatments. I pay about £5000 in private premiums. But it didn’t cover my Leukaemia treatment. I tried the Christie private unit, no go. Does your premium really cover a heart transplant, or GP services? Or private ambulances? Etc.

3. For nurses and doctors, really? No.

4. Nurses pay in Western Europe isn’t all that different. Your figures are miles out. And you can’t draw your conclusion from one A&E  to cover the whole NHS.

You do realise you are arguing against #woodyfacts John :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

You do realise you are arguing against #woodyfacts John :rolleyes:

Yes, but banging my head against a brick wall is more fun than anything else I might be doing AND try though I might I cannot locate the ignore function.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, but banging my head against a brick wall is more fun than anything else I might be doing AND try though I might I cannot locate the ignore function.

I couldn't find it at first either. Click on your name and a dropdown should appear with ignore users on. That being said, you'd miss the fun of all the incorrect facts. He's a veritable Guinness book of nonsense...

@John Wright - arguing with @woody2 is like playing chess with a pigeon etc. Don’t do it. 

Your consultant pay scale is wrong - on the IOM it goes higher, and I for one think that we get well paid. Locum pay is a major problem, but this is due to an abject failure of workforce planning - something impossible in medicine given the lead time between starting out at med school and being a consultant. That’s about 4 parliamentary terms. 

I think we should pay for healthcare - simply because of the principle that if something costs nothing it is valued similarly. The NI argument is trite and fake in any case - NI was more about paying for sick pay and pensions than funding a health service in the 21st century. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 1/28/2018 at 7:41 PM, Henry said:

It's the consultants who are overpaid. Sadly, we have to overpay them in order to attract them here, because there's nothing else we can use to encourage them to come here.

On 1/28/2018 at 8:35 PM, John Wright said:

So what do you think they should be paid? And do you know what they’re paid?

Figures here are subject to additions for various things,  but it’s not a lot for 6 years University, then hospital training and working their way up the ladder.

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Your consultant pay scale is wrong - on the IOM it goes higher, and I for one think that we get well paid.

lol

• Haha 1

I think a reasonable charge to see the GP (say a tenner) would reduce much of the nonsense. I would not advocate the £50+ it is in the Channel Islands and it would be free for under 16s. There could be a refund system, maybe only partial, for those on benefits. If this charging system was introduced there would have to be a way to stop people going to A&E as a 'free' alternative.

I'd also stop all prescriptions for drugs that don't need them so very cheap stuff like Ibuprofen and Paracetamol doesn't end up costing the state tens of pounds per dispense.

Edited by ballaughbiker
spell
  • Like 5