Public 'prepared' to pay for healthcare

Galen

51 minutes ago, Henry said:

It's the consultants who are overpaid. Sadly, we have to overpay them in order to attract them here, because there's nothing else we can use to encourage them to come here.

So what do you think they should be paid? And do you know what they’re paid?

Figures here are subject to additions for various things,  but it’s not a lot for 6 years University, then hospital training and working their way up the ladder.

3FAF8783-4B87-44FA-AA26-C1AB8206C8D6.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pongo said:

That argument might resonate with me more if the IOM were democratically independent. But it isn't. Most policy is decided in London. Your version of Manx pride seems to be about rejecting the democratic mandate (foreign policy, monetary policy, declaring war etc). In exchange for local taxes and colourful stamps.

I think the argument resonates quite perfectly with most patriotic Manx people.  To be bailed out just to pay pensions to largely non Manx public sector workers would be totally abhorrent to most; not to mention an admission of failure. Our economic policy isn’t decided in London at all. We don’t even have representation by an MP. Most of your arguments are false.  I could argue Keynesian economics all day but we are not able to work on a Keynesian model as we cannot print our own currency and we cannot raise our own sovereign debt. A better option would be to go fully Independent so that we can; then we wouldn’t be able to pay any of the pensions out and personally I wouldn’t give a toss. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Gibraltar has its own MP and it can’t print it’s own money or issue sovereign debt itself either. The fact is we have to work on a house hold budget model as we cannot do any of the things you say as we are a Crown Dependency of the UK with no central bank and no ability to print Sterling. 

Does it? It’s currently in the EU and votes for an MEP  in a UK constituency. Don’t think it has a Westminster MP.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Oh I don’t know. It may well keep the persistent malingerers away. You have to pay to see the dentist.

Not if, as in the suggestion I was responding to, the payment was voluntary.

20 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Oh I don’t know. It may well keep the persistent malingerers away. You have to pay to see the dentist.

But, like prescription charges, if the dentist is NHS, there are many exemptions.

”It is important to emphasise that those who are exempt from dental charges, such as children under 16 and those receiving income support or Job Seeker’s Allowance, will continue to receive their examinations and treatment free of charge.”

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Does it? It’s currently in the EU and votes for an MEP  in a UK constituency. Don’t think it has a Westminster MP.

I thought they had but I’ve Googled it and you’re right. I thought they had some MP down south who represented them in the Brexit vote but I can’t find it via Google. I think you’re right it’s a UK representative but an MEP not MP. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I thought they had but I’ve Googled it and you’re right. I thought they had some MP down south who represented them in the Brexit vote but I can’t find it via Google. 

That was one ( or more ) of the MEP’s.

Southwest and Gibraltar is a 6 seater, 2 Con, 2 UKIP, 1 Lab, 1 Green.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 1

Our economic policy isn’t decided in London at all.

The IOM has no control over monetary policy. Only some aspects of fiscal policy.

I could argue Keynesian economics all day

Clearly not then.

Edited by pongo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

So what do you think they should be paid? And do you know what they’re paid?

Figures here are subject to additions for various things,  but it’s not a lot for 6 years University, then hospital training and working their way up the ladder.

3FAF8783-4B87-44FA-AA26-C1AB8206C8D6.png

It's the locum consultants that cost the £££££.

Do you have a chart for them ?

Just now, dilligaf said:

I agree. No I don’t. All that says is IoM has to pay more ( in some form or other ) to attract.

I’m sure wrighty will confirm that the biggest disincentive is the uncoupling of the Manx pension scheme from the uk one and the uncertainty it has caused.  

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I agree. No I don’t. All that says is IoM has to pay more ( in some form or other ) to attract.

I’m sure wrighty will confirm that the biggest disincentive is the uncoupling of the Manx pension scheme from the uk one and the uncertainty it has caused.  

Why would a consultant come to work here full time when they can probably earn 4 or 5 times the dollar by being a locum?

We should think ourselves very lucky that we have good consultants here and I can think of 3 or 4 apart from Wrighty ( although there must be a few more unknown to me.)

16 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Why would a consultant come to work here full time when they can probably earn 4 or 5 times the dollar by being a locum?

We should think ourselves very lucky that we have good consultants here and I can think of 3 or 4 apart from Wrighty ( although there must be a few more unknown to me.)

A MR Upsdell has been consultant for me since my PC diagnosis 8 years ago,he retired at one time but returned to practice within a very short time,I'm not sure why he felt he should return maybe he was bored!.

6 minutes ago, twinkle said:
26 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A MR Upsdell has been consultant for me since my PC diagnosis 8 years ago,he retired at one time but returned to practice within a very short time,I'm not sure why he felt he should return maybe he was bored!.

I did say we had some good ones.

• Thanks 1