Jump to content

Spineless or what


Neil Down
 Share

Recommended Posts

Big cock up. We certainly need to protect stocks, but surely the thing to do is to check boats at sea to make sure they are complying with the regulations?  As I understand it, (from posts elsewhere on here) our fisheries protection vessel, Barrule, is stuck in Douglas Harbour for want of a skipper. Sort that out, instead of alienating the Scots.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Fact is it's the big Autos owned by a certain influential Scotsman doing most of the damage, and as I posted on the other thread ,it's pretty much impossible to board these boats most of the time due to weather conditions . The only way they could have been checked properly was to have them come into port the same as everybody else.

 As you say though it'doesn't help when there is neither a skipper nor sufficient budget to run the Barrule efficiently, and blame for that situation should be squarely laid at the front door of the wendy house at St Johns.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, guzzi said:

Big cock up. We certainly need to protect stocks, but surely the thing to do is to check boats at sea to make sure they are complying with the regulations?  As I understand it, (from posts elsewhere on here) our fisheries protection vessel, Barrule, is stuck in Douglas Harbour for want of a skipper. Sort that out, instead of alienating the Scots.

I get the feeling that Mr Quayle has been a bit bowled over and punch drunk since becoming Chief Minister. All these trips to Westminster and Brussels have made him believe that he is indeed an international statesman. These constant trips have done nothing to bring him down to earth. So he must have thought this Nicola woman, well, she'll be a piece of cake. After all Mr Quayle has had his photo taken with her and met her on numerous occasions. She's one of his friends and will be on his Christmas card list. What can go wrong.

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Craig King said:

I get the feeling that Mr Quayle has been a bit bowled over and punch drunk since becoming Chief Minister. All these trips to Westminster and Brussels have made him believe that he is indeed an international statesman. These constant trips have done nothing to bring him down to earth. So he must have thought this Nicola woman, well, she'll be a piece of cake. After all Mr Quayle has had his photo taken with her and met her on numerous occasions. She's one of his friends and will be on his Christmas card list. What can go wrong.

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting.

Yes the conversation would have been a simple "listen fatboy you are taking fuck all from our fishermen and fish processor's ok, now shut the door on the way out"

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, homarus said:

 Fact is it's the big Autos owned by a certain influential Scotsman doing most of the damage, and as I posted on the other thread ,it's pretty much impossible to board these boats most of the time due to weather conditions . The only way they could have been checked properly was to have them come into port the same as everybody else.

 

so why aren't we looking at what they are getting paid at the other end and how much they are landing at home?   if they say they have 50 boxes and you count 70 leaving the boat  something 'fishy'  is going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, homarus said:

But somebody has to be at the other end to count!

yes,  going buy the books i don't think we have many in government that can but there should be somebody counting anyway i would have thought??  maybe they have a brown envelope collection?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't the limit a weight limit? Counting boxes or having a look in the trawlers hold would not be any good surely?

 

I would hope that Quayle is putting up a better fight for us regarding 'Brexit' and our 'best interests' at Whitehall!

MHKs should ask for a vote of no confidence, unless they think this is acceptable behaviour?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Isn't the limit a weight limit? Counting boxes or having a look in the trawlers hold would not be any good surely?

 

I would hope that Quayle is putting up a better fight for us regarding 'Brexit' and our 'best interests' at Whitehall!

MHKs should ask for a vote of no confidence, unless they think this is acceptable behaviour?

now that made me laugh 

Edited by Neil Down
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Lost Login said:

We are a tiny insignificant country. Scotland has a population 60 times as big as ours. It has oil and gas. If it comes toan argument between Scotland and the IoM and Scotland wants something bad enough chances it will win. It does not care if it pisses off the IoM the IoM probably cannot afford to piss off the Scotish Govt.

It is all very well giving it the big I am here, saying we should stand up to Scotland yeah right. Scotland will take as much notice as most us would if some snotty kid came put up homemade 30mph signs to stop us driving above 30mph as it would help climate change. All you can do in these situations is give something a go and hope you get away with it as nobody kicks up a fuss. Even if little expectation you will not succeed better to try and fail than not try at all as if you don't you have guaranteed failure.  

Wrong, all they had to do is stick to the plan instead of rolling over so feckin quickly..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Wrong, all they had to do is stick to the plan instead of rolling over so feckin quickly..

Great talking like a big guy but if Scotland Govt if you don't change the policy we will do X Y or Z or we will not support/help you on A,B,C. Just like when the VAT changes or the reciprocal health changes were announced people post on forums saying the IoM should have stood up and not accepted and got them to change their minds. Wake up and smell the coffee. We have absolutely no bargaining power. We either do want they want so we get the support of the UK, Scotland or whoever on matters that don't effect them or pick a losing fight and our voice is even more ignored.

The thought that we could have told Scotland where to go without adverse consequences is pure fantasy. A bit of realism from time to time would not go amiss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Except that Scotland will have its own concerns and protections that it would like to put in place and will be negotiating with the English Govt for these. It will expect to get its way on these. So it is still poor negotiating on our behalf.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr Quayle should just get his other friends in Westminster to help out. Tell them he's being bullied by the Scottish woman. I'm sure they'd be pleased to help. Mind you. I rather think they're all a bit wary of oor Nicki, same as Howard is now.

Edited by Craig King
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 It was a straight forward question of law and as said previously they (defa) must have taken advice before bringing in the regulation,so it figures that they were advised it was a lawful action but were frightened off by the threat of possible legal action cowards that they are.

 I say bring it on ,let's see what rights the Island actually has , as it stands at the moment we have none by the looks of things.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Craig King said:

I get the feeling that Mr Quayle has been a bit bowled over and punch drunk since becoming Chief Minister. All these trips to Westminster and Brussels have made him believe that he is indeed an international statesman. These constant trips have done nothing to bring him down to earth. 

As a special treat, I’m going to share with you what the problem is. Howard Quayle is a useless, ill-informed, ignorant lump of lard who probably wouldn’t make a success of walking your dog. Other than that, he’s exactly what we need to lead strategic decision-making for the future of the Isle of Man. Just like exactly what the rest of us need is an ice-pick through the forehead.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...