Jump to content

Plans for lord street


Blaine
 Share

Recommended Posts

I hear what a few people are saying about the design, that it is neither here nor there/non-offensive (I disagree). However, that aside, as soon as a scheme of that scale and proportion is built on that site it will make it near impossible to get decent investment in the car-park opposite Noa and behind the Police Station. The whole area needs to be thought of holistically, rather than just calling "first dibs" on the best site and kicking the can down the road on the other two.

Secondly, is it really what Douglas needs? I agree with putting flats there, it will bring some vibrancy to the area in the evening time. At the moment, during the week, the centre of Douglas is dead after the office workers go home. However a third cinema in Douglas? Really? Is that what it is crying out for? And restaurants? The most interesting places to eat in recent years have been places like Noa and The Shed in Laxey that have set up by locals in under-used undervalued sites and been completely reimagined. The type of restaurants that will rock up in a purpose built unit like this will be the likes of chain restaurants that will draw trade away from the rest of the quayside, that I must admit in recent years has really started to become something of a success story from where it was 20 years ago in terms of vibrancy, life and character.

It just seems like such a WASTE of what is arguably the site with the most potential in whole whole of Douglas, the whole island when you think it is our capital and at the gateway to the island... Is this really the best we can come up with? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Jazze said:

I hear what a few people are saying about the design, that it is neither here nor there/non-offensive (I disagree). However, that aside, as soon as a scheme of that scale and proportion is built on that site it will make it near impossible to get decent investment in the car-park opposite Noa and behind the Police Station. The whole area needs to be thought of holistically, rather than just calling "first dibs" on the best site and kicking the can down the road on the other two.

Secondly, is it really what Douglas needs? I agree with putting flats there, it will bring some vibrancy to the area in the evening time. At the moment, during the week, the centre of Douglas is dead after the office workers go home. However a third cinema in Douglas? Really? Is that what it is crying out for? And restaurants? The most interesting places to eat in recent years have been places like Noa and The Shed in Laxey that have set up by locals in under-used undervalued sites and been completely reimagined. The type of restaurants that will rock up in a purpose built unit like this will be the likes of chain restaurants that will draw trade away from the rest of the quayside, that I must admit in recent years has really started to become something of a success story from where it was 20 years ago in terms of vibrancy, life and character.

It just seems like such a WASTE of what is arguably the site with the most potential in whole whole of Douglas, the whole island when you think it is our capital and at the gateway to the island... Is this really the best we can come up with? 

Yes. It gets my vote.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well what pongo did was rewrite my post, so I hope he gets a ban for breaking the simple rules.566525534_Capturepongo.thumb.JPG.e6762a83acbf7ebdaa359bcd41943bb2.JPG

 

It's an excerpt not a rewrite.

And I included canned laughter so that you could tell it was funny. Like they do on the telly. Or like a smiley.

image.png.6e9bffd86555aba2b5fbb079fadedc63.png

Edited by pongo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yes, I know that, it was completely stupid. You seem to think that park and ride could work, I was asking you how.

By stopping non essential vehicles from parking in Douglas. Won’t happen of course because it will become a “vote loser” 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pongo said:

 

It's an excerpt not a rewrite.

And I included canned laughter so that you could tell it was funny. Like they do on the telly. Or like a smiley.

Check your post , you just rewrote mine to ridicule me and included nothing.

Your next post maybe did.

Grow up.

(and was it actually funny ?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Check your post , you just rewrote mine to ridicule me and included nothing.

Your next post maybe did.

Grow up.

(and was it actually funny ?)

Guys. Trying to have a proper discussion here. Cut it out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...