Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
gettafa

Bands that have played in the Isle of Man

The Dolls were pretty outrageous at the time and Bob's attempt at humour failed. He never could be witty, on the few occasions he tried. They were a great band though and David Johansen still has a great voice, even if it's not particularly evident here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The Dolls were pretty outrageous at the time 

Yeah, it's amazing really that that WT clip preceded British punk by several years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

American punk was well ahead of the game and far more interesting and creative over a longer period of time. There were some great British bands of course but it was the idiot bastard son of what had already started over the pond. I've always reckoned that Alice Cooper predated Johnny Lydon by five years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Freddie and the Dreamers along with Susan Maughan did a summer season at the Crescent Cinema.

Andy Gibb did a season at the Peveril.

Maurice Gibb performed at the Villa about 2007ish.

The Seekers won a talent competition at the Villa Marina which won them a record contract!

China Crisis have appeared at various locations around the island.

Alan Price did a season at the Palace.

The Ivy League did a couple of shows here in the 90's.

Paul Carrack played at the Villa.

Peter Green did the Gaiety.

Did Freddie not play the Royalty Cinema in Walpole Avenue? Seem to remember Cliff Richard playing there too. 

Don't recall him playing there, went to see him at the Crescent with my mum, saw Cliff Richard in Summer Holiday at the Royalty.

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The Dolls were pretty outrageous at the time and Bob's attempt at humour failed. He never could be witty, on the few occasions he tried. They were a great band though and David Johansen still has a great voice, even if it's not particularly evident here.

Johansen, Walter Lure, Johnny Thunders, Sylvain Sylvain...can’t remember the name of the drummer. The fate of drummers eh?

53 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Alan Price did a season at the Palace.

Indeed he did...in Whispers. And bloody good he was too.

(This is a cracking thread).

Edited by Uhtred

12 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Johansen, Walter Lure, Johnny Thunders...

Indeed he did...in Whispers. And bloody good he was too.

(This is a cracking thread).

86 if I recall correctly.

• Thanks 1

Alan Price was top drawer. Did a great soundtrack to the largely forgotten O Lucky Man. I haven't seen that in years. Don't hear of him now. Anyone know if he's still performing / recording ? Don Weller was his sax man for that summer and used to do a jazz session with a local pick-up band at the Golf Links Hotel (Fort Island) on Sunday nights. As it was his night off, Don was always pissed up but there were some good nights there all the same. I well remember a highlight was when the James Last boys were over for a gig, and being mates with Don (They were all jazzers on good money with the Last orchestra) got up and joined in for a couple of numbers. Don't think Alan ever played though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Alan Price was top drawer. Did a great soundtrack to the largely forgotten O Lucky Man. I haven't seen that in years. Don't hear of him now. Anyone know if he's still performing / recording ? Don Weller was his sax man for that summer and used to do a jazz session with a local pick-up band at the Golf Links Hotel (Fort Island) on Sunday nights. As it was his night off, Don was always pissed up but there were some good nights there all the same. I well remember a highlight was when the James Last boys were over for a gig, and being mates with Don (They were all jazzers on good money with the Last orchestra) got up and joined in for a couple of numbers. Don't think Alan ever played though. 

Don’t think Alan Price has released music in years...although I can readily summon from the memory bank the music from O Lucky Man (which of course he was also in). I think he remained friends with Lyndsey Anderson (Director) and I have a hazy memory of Alan Price singing as Anderson scattered the ashes of a friend (actress) into the Thames in a film about Anderson’s life. Didn’t Price also do a world tour with The Animals about 25 odd years ago? 

• Like 1

For the sake of completeness if nothing else:

Suzie Quatro at the Villa TT foot'n'mouth year I think (and some other times before).  Free admission. The doormen were virtually dragging people in off the street. It was a good gig though. I'm not going to complain for free.

And Smokie in 1975 or '76. It was before Alice and all that. And obviously way before the er, revamped version.

Oh, and on a not dissimilar note Tony Christie was booked at the Villa, it must have been 2005, and then all of a sudden Amarillo became a hit for Peter Kay for Comic Relief. I think Tony Christie's booking fees must have doubled after that but Isle of Man had him booked just before Comic Relief.

Who are these hairy beasts (Nazareth?) that adorned the cover of a Manx Life in the 1970s (copied from this weeks Douglas Auction)

116261971 (1).jpg

11 hours ago, gettafa said:

Tony Christie was booked at the Villa, it must have been 2005, and then all of a sudden Amarillo became a hit for Peter Kay for Comic Relief. I think Tony Christie's booking fees must have doubled after that but Isle of Man had him booked just before Comic Relief.

The brother of my former next door neighbour was walking on the Prom with a friend having both just bought ice creams when Tony Christie came out of the Villa and walked towards them. Quick as a flash my neighbours brother licked his ice cream and sang “Is this way to eat vanilla”. To his eternal credit, Tony Christie shook him by the hand and autographed the paper napkin that had come with the ice cream!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Who are these hairy beasts (Nazareth?) that adorned the cover of a Manx Life in the 1970s (copied from this weeks Douglas Auction)

116261971 (1).jpg

Yeah that's Nazareth. Vocalist Dan McCafferty  (in the centre) is one of the best voices in rock ever imho. The dude on the bottom right is a dead ringer for ELO's Jeff Lynne.

• Like 1