Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
gettafa

Bands that have played in the Isle of Man

21 hours ago, quilp said:

Here's another band who nearly played over here. The Reverend Black and the Rockin' Vicars (Vickers, sometimes). This Blackpool band came to the Island in the mid-sixties. Now, the story goes... They arrived off the boat one morning during the season, in a Black Maria, with a 3 foot crucifix screwed to the roof and for hours, drove up and down the prom advertising the gig: it may've been Douglas Head or Falcon Cliff, it is a tale told to me many moons ago. Anyway, this publicity stunt turned sour because great offence was taken by some, especially as the Reverend Black himself had climbed on to the roof in full regalia and clinging to the crucifix, proceeded with a loud-hailer, giving it dixie. Some saw it as improper and disrespectful and they were stopped eventually by local plod and ended up back on the next available boat. Probably in the morning. The gig never happened but there was a Manx connection in that a local young businessman of the time, friends with the Reverend, invited them over. The bass player in the Vicars was no other than Lemmy himself. Managed to find an image...

rv6.jpg

Wasn’t Lemmy one of the original Rocking Vicars? Is that him on the far right? 

Edited by Kevmeister

He was. See other post. Don't think he's in that one, hard to tell, it was all a very long time ago...

Aw, here's where most of it happened. For the youngsters... 

_20180307_205642.JPG

41 minutes ago, quilp said:

He was. See other post. Don't think he's in that one, hard to tell, it was all a very long time ago...

Looks like a sort of innocent Lemmy with a bowl cut on the right. 

9 hours ago, Kevmeister said:

Looks like a sort of innocent Lemmy with a bowl cut on the right. 

Pre-wartian era I'd say.

• Haha 1

no introduction needed  though he never made it here.

Edited by twinkle
  • Like 2

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, quilp said:

Here's another band who nearly played over here. The Reverend Black and the Rockin' Vicars (Vickers, sometimes). This Blackpool band came to the Island in the mid-sixties. Now, the story goes... They arrived off the boat one morning during the season, in a Black Maria, with a 3 foot crucifix screwed to the roof and for hours, drove up and down the prom advertising the gig: it may've been Douglas Head or Falcon Cliff, it is a tale told to me many moons ago. Anyway, this publicity stunt turned sour because great offence was taken by some, especially as the Reverend Black himself had climbed on to the roof in full regalia and clinging to the crucifix, proceeded with a loud-hailer, giving it dixie. Some saw it as improper and disrespectful and they were stopped eventually by local plod and ended up back on the next available boat. Probably in the morning. The gig never happened but there was a Manx connection in that a local young businessman of the time, friends with the Reverend, invited them over. The bass player in the Vicars was no other than Lemmy himself. Managed to find an image...

rv6.jpg

Wasn't Nod Turner a member of the Rocking Vicars, I seem to recall him telling me this?

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Wasn't Nod Turner a member of the Rocking Vicars, I seem to recall him telling me this?

Aha, you might be right there Max because Nod was mentioned in the story, though his name doesn't appear on the members list, and there were a few changes over the lifetime of the band. Maybe he'd adopted a stage name.

As far as the Manx music scene goes there is one man whose enthusiasm and hard work for many Manx bands over the years stands out. His hand-built PA systems were like him, legendary. Hence his nickname, The Legend.

Sorely missed.

Mr Phil Maddrell. (RIP)

_20180308_154732.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was in hospital with Phil after my accident and return to the island, he had had a massive stroke from which he never recovered. RIP.

18 hours ago, quilp said:

As far as the Manx music scene goes there is one man whose enthusiasm and hard work for many Manx bands over the years stands out. His hand-built PA systems were like him, legendary. Hence his nickname, The Legend.

Sorely missed.

Mr Phil Maddrell. (RIP)

_20180308_154732.JPG

A lovely lovely human being as well as a great soundman. 

A sad loss. RIP fella.

A man in a pub told me today that Hawkwind played at the Lido...I don’t think they’ve cropped up in this thread so far (apologies if they have and I’ve missed them). Anyone recall Hawkwind here?

I'm fairly sure Hawkwind have played here at least once. I think they did Summerland one T.T. week, but someone may correct me.

Saw the great Jerry Lee Lewis at a festival about twelve years ago; possibly the last time he played in Britain. As he came on stage, a woman in the wings tried to attack him but he had a couple of knuckle draggers with him who soon restored peace and harmony. It could have been staged but I always wondered if it was one of Jerry Lee's ex wives or lovers. Whatever, it got the show off to a lively start. 

10 hours ago, Uhtred said:

A man in a pub told me today that Hawkwind played at the Lido...I don’t think they’ve cropped up in this thread so far (apologies if they have and I’ve missed them). Anyone recall Hawkwind here?

Yes, they have, during TT in the 90's as I recall. They did a night at the Lido (maybe two) and also played a set on the outside stage at the bottom of Broadway when the South prom used to be closed of for entertainment.

• Like 1

Hawkwind did Summerland around 1995/1996. Preceded by Miss Wet T shirt and various other things to 'entertain' the bikers, and don't think Hawkwind came on stage until close to midnight.

• Like 1