Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
gettafa

Bands that have played in the Isle of Man

Thanks for that b&b/sm....they’d completely passed me by.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sm-iom said:

Hawkwind did Summerland around 1995/1996. Preceded by Miss Wet T shirt and various other things to 'entertain' the bikers, and don't think Hawkwind came on stage until close to midnight.

Yeah, now you mention I think your right, t'was Summerland rather than the Lido. My bad.

• Like 1

Just scooped this from the web, list of Hawkwind gigs includes

Isle Of Man               Summerland Complex          04.06.1994   Sat   BR/DA/CH
Isle Of Man               Promenade                   05.06.1994   Sun   BR/DA/CH
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2018 at 10:40 AM, gettafa said:

I remember about 20 years ago a bloke used to knock round Douglas. He had longish hair and always wore a head band. His one claim to fame and, as far as I could make out, only topic of conversation, was that he played drums for Motörhead at the Lido. Their guy couldn't play so he was like an impromptu "Is there a drummer in the house?" stand-in. It was a good story and I lapped it up the few few times I heard it. Just not sure it was true.

Ah...pretty sure it was Hawkwind not Motohead. (my bad for duff info there, that's what drinking and listening to stories  in The Central bar does)

Also, I wonder if lack of their usual drummer was the reason Hawkwind didn't come on stage until after midnight. Must have a decco at the newspapers of the era

Edited by gettafa

I remember watching the prom gig, it was pissing it down. By the time Hawkwind made an appearance it was dark cold and wet and most people had decided they'd be better off in a warm dry pub somewhere. Those that were left were huddled under the villa arcade roof on the opposite side of the prom. The compere was trying to inject some atmosphere by continually shouting '' make some noise so we can get the boys onstage''. Eventually ''the boys'' (who at the time to us seemed more like ''the wet old men'') came on and played a very short and unenthusiastic set. Looking back can't say as I blame them really. On a more personal note, the band I was playing in played the very first street party gig on the Daily Star stage at the bottom of Broadway. The weather was great, the whole area was a sea of enthusiastic faces and best of all we were treated to cans of free cold beer served by Daily Star girls :wub:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Ah...pretty sure it was Hawkwind not Motohead. (my bad for duff info there, that's what drinking and listening to stories  in The Central bar does)

Also, I wonder if lack of their usual drummer was the reason Hawkwind didn't come on stage until after midnight. Must have a decco at the newspapers of the era

Would that be the Central at the bottom of Broadway? If so that was a great venue for live pub bands. The music room had a sort of amphitheater type thing going on. Great atmosphere during TT. 

• Thanks 1

Steve Gibbons' Manx band, Milnes Hotel cellar bar mid - eighties. After the Villier's we'd head over and do the set all over again till the wee hours with himself, PJ and Jock. Great times

_20180310_140815.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Steve Gibbons' Manx band, Milnes Hotel cellar bar mid - eighties. After the Villier's we'd head over and do the set all over again till the wee hours with himself, PJ and Jock. Great times

_20180310_140815.JPG

PJ ! was that PJ PROBY ears?.

Edited by twinkle

With the exception of Duane Eddy, I can claim to've been at all of those gigs. Having a summer job at the Lido also helped.^_^

Lol, 'Smokie' spelt wrong. Great gig that was, they played on the low stage like Thin Lizzy. Excellent harmonies.

Yeah, good old Terry Clough and the late Ray Norman. Back in the day you could buy gear on the never-never and if it was paid within 6 months, no interest! 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

Black Mass were apparently a popular support act! Who was in that? 

Edit, ah, just clicked through, I can see now. 

Edited by La Colombe

Click on the link and explore the Kelly Records site. Hopefully people will add to this like the Manx Nostalgia facebook page.

Good band Black Mass. Saw them many times at the Head. I think Pete Osler went on to play professionally. Quilp will confirm that.

• Like 1